Forum » Feedback and Ideas

October 21st site update - forthcoming changes for subscribers

 
  • October 21st site update - forthcoming changes for subscribers

    Hello,

    We've just released the latest version of the Last.fm website. The main element of this release is the announcement of some forthcoming changes to Last.fm:

    From November 17th, some subscriber-only radio stations will be discontinued – Loved Tracks Radio, Personal Tag Radio, and playlists. These changes will let us focus on our more popular features, developing new stations, and making our music catalogue even broader. We understand these changes will come as a shock and we hate taking features away, but we'll be doing our best to make your subscription worthwhile over the coming months. Even so, we understand you may not want to remain a subscriber, so you can get a refund if you prefer.

    You can find out more about these changes here or request a refund here.


    We've also made some additions to the Last.fm API, including a track.unban method and XML output for recommended new releases. There'll be documentation in the usual place for these soon.

    Finally, we fixed 9 bugs in this release, including broken RSS feeds for recommended events and problems deleting autocorrected artists from your library.

    Other interesting stuff from the music universe since last time include a blog post about double vision (kind of) and a vinyl scrobbler from the Boston music hack day.


    [Edit on Nov 1st, 2010]
    Important staff replies in this thread:
    acreature (Oct 22)
    acreature (Oct 22)
    acreature (Oct 24)
    acreature (Oct 25)
    acreature (Oct 25)
    Knapster01 (Oct 25)
    acreature (Oct 26)
    acreature (Oct 27)
    StudleyUK (Oct 27)
    acreature (Oct 28)
    Knapster01 (Oct 28)
    StudleyUK (Oct 28)
    Knapster01 (Oct 28)

    Redigerad av hjbardenhagen den 1 nov 2010, 23:07
    • Pedro_71 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 okt 2010, 14:36

    discontinuing subscriber-only radio stations

    This is really a shock! Many users put a lot of energy into putting together their own tags. This was a great way to enjoy music...
    If it requires that much energy make it a delux service for extra charge...

    I have been a great supporter so far... You will definitely lose many such people...

  • Re: October 21st site update

    acreature said:
    We understand these changes will come as a shock and we hate taking features away, but we'll be doing our best to make your subscription worthwhile over the coming months. Even so, we understand you may not want to remain a subscriber, so you can get a refund if you prefer.


    Wouldn't it have been smarter to announce the new facilities before chopping out these facilities? Bizarre!

  • Long-time Last.fm user, but really very disappointed by these changes. Every two weeks, there's more and more bad news. I can't remember the last time one of these forum posts was actually about something positive. So many features get requested that never really get looked at (doing more with autocorrections, invite friends, separate artists with same names etc) and instead we get another mildly interesting stats/chart tool to mess around with for a few minutes and never go back to again. This place is really going downhill. I'll continue to scrobble, as always, but I'm running out of reasons to visit.

    • Pedro_71 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 okt 2010, 14:57

    as you have locked my topic I copy here my original comment....

    Last.fm is discontinuing "a few" subscriber-only radio stations
    http://www.last.fm/stationchanges2010

    This is killing one of the core elements of this service. I wonder how other subscribers would react... I am extremely disappointed as everyday I listen to my carefully built tag radios. Now it will be all vanished...

    The nice little word that I put into brackets ("a few") in many cases means "most", dear Last.fm!

    :(((

    • Pedro_71 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 okt 2010, 14:58

    comment from 'annadoll2010' from the locked topic

    "I agree, there will be almost no reason for me to bother coming here for listening to/finding music anymore. I subscribed to build playlists and find things which I wouldn't otherwise hear.

    We will have the 'wonderful' randomised radio, where you can play a station without hearing a single track by the artist you like in an hour, or even a couple of hours.

    Back to Grooveshark and Myspace to find new stuff, I suppose.

    Thanks a lot, folks! What a waste of my time and effort building playlists. *tut*"

  • I know there are users here with literally thousands of tags. Though I'm personally not one of them, this is surely going to piss them off? Upsetting the free users is one thing, but upsetting all your paying subscribers is a totally bizarre move that I just can't get my head around. Seriously, what reason is there to subscribe anymore? How is this going to bring in any revenue? Sorry but this site is getting pretty useless. If you're just going to focus on the scrobbling stuff, then fine, but at least sort out artist disambiguation, album data and proper merging of artists and tracks.

  • Re: discontinuing subscriber-only radio stations

    Pedro_71 said:
    This is really a shock! Many users put a lot of energy into putting together their own tags. This was a great way to enjoy music...
    If it requires that much energy make it a delux service for extra charge...

    I have been a great supporter so far... You will definitely lose many such people...

    We're looking at ways for you to export playlists of your Loved Tracks, Personal Tags and Playlists. It's going to take a little longer to get the finer details ironed out though.

    • percy74 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 okt 2010, 15:12
    ...just...wow...

    Can't wait to see what Babs and the other tagging gurus are going to say about this. Also can't wait to see the incredible features that are going to keep me subscribing here, because right now, loved tracks radio and tag radios are the primary features I subscribe for.

  • Thanks for copying my comment, Pedro _71.

    I'll also add that I don't scrobble from home or work without the site/directly from my computer for various reasons... so a lot of the music on my profile is from artists I have discovered here, mainly from building playlists and not very often from using radio stations.

    What a shame. I'll miss this function enormously/

    I like listening to diverse playlists, not only single genres at a time.

    So the reason to subscribe will now be to... watch people look at your profile?
    Surely this will not help revenue figures at all...

    • Pedro_71 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 okt 2010, 15:25

    Re: Re: discontinuing subscriber-only radio stations

    Knapster01 said:
    Pedro_71 said:
    This is really a shock! Many users put a lot of energy into putting together their own tags. This was a great way to enjoy music...
    If it requires that much energy make it a delux service for extra charge...

    I have been a great supporter so far... You will definitely lose many such people...

    We're looking at ways for you to export playlists of your Loved Tracks, Personal Tags and Playlists. It's going to take a little longer to get the finer details ironed out though.


    That is appreciated, but this is not the main point! As annadoll2010 expressed before we are here to discover and RE-LISTEN artist who are in many cases off the main stream, therefore even if I export the names out it will be virtually impossible to find them anywhere... Besides the service you provided so far was great that there were no necessity to download tons of data to the computer and still had the chance to listen again particular group of artists. If we are pushed to mainstream radios, I can wait ages to meet again my loved few thousand listeners artist....

    • maz35 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 okt 2010, 15:25
    Really not happy about these changes at all, I put a lot of time into my tagging app so people could create their own radios, now I barely see the point of tagging, global tagging projects aside.

    • Jonty sa...
    • Alumni
    • 21 okt 2010, 15:35
    We're just as sad as you - I'm going to lose my very favorite radio station.

    Not to mention losing the awesome tag I mix into the feed from NASA during lift-off. (There are only four Shuttle launches left, make sure you try it!)

    Right now, I look a little bit like this:

  • I don't want to export anything.

    I don't want to download anything.

    I would just like to listen to music I like/may like/have an inkling I may like, or hate, for which, I think, it's fair that I pay to do so. Just not on a completely randomised basis...

    Redigerad av annadoll2001 den 21 okt 2010, 15:55
    • Babs_05 sa...
    • Moderator
    • 21 okt 2010, 15:48
    percy74 said:
    ...just...wow...

    Can't wait to see what Babs and the other tagging gurus are going to say about this. Also can't wait to see the incredible features that are going to keep me subscribing here, because right now, loved tracks radio and tag radios are the primary features I subscribe for.
    Babs the Tagging Guru is way ahead of you and already inventing the future...

    Yes, losing personal tag radios is an immense loss. For me personally, that's 5 years' work down the drain.

    However, there's a flip-side, one using Last.fm more, and the other making more of music sites partnered with Last.fm.

    On the Last.fm side, the next best thing to personal tag radios is unique global tag radios, usually associated with groups. My own examples would be , amongst others. I know there are enough enthusiastic people around who really get into collaborative tagging and creating radios for themselves. From this, I can see groups becoming more important again. They've been languishing by the wayside for far too long. Last.fm could help us by making groups more visible.

    On the external music sites side, I mean those music sites "powered by Last.fm". This means they get their similar artist radios by using Last.fm's algorithms. For the most part, we can't do much more than we can here, but the next generation of interactive on-demand radios, such as the ones from We7 and MOG, allow for user-interaction at a track-by-track level. Which means you can customise your radios in real-time as they play. I've known about We7's radio before it launched, just never made the time to try it. I'd like to see what I can make it do.

    I know these two are region-specific, but the way things are going, what with Apple launching their new streaming service, and Google working on something too, both presumably global, the one question that's the most important to us is: but does it scrobble? If it does that, they'll get some love from me and, I imagine, everyone else.

    re subscribing - I think we're back to people making individual decisions on whether they want to support the site or not, just as it was once upon a time before the focus moved to what we get back for it.

    I know this sounds like I'm positive or putting a spin on things but I think it's just me and how I handle bad news - 'yes, this is crap, but what can we do instead?' sort of thing.

    This is entirely my view, I'm not speaking as a mod or anything. Just to clarify.

    • Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 21 okt 2010, 15:51
    Hm, this is indeed sad. I have made over 3000 different tags :\.

    though, as long as you keep similar/tag radios, then I am happy. I like Last.fm the most for stats, not for radio.. The music business is too evil and complicated :\


    You did add a space between the play icon and the track name finally though :d Crows and Pigeons Cooperate on a Daily Basis

    Are you going to update the Last.fm client to reflect the new changes?

    If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 okt 2010, 15:52

    Re: discontinuing subscriber-only radio stations

    What a SHOCK to wake up to this morning!!! Needless to say i am very 'upset' with these forthcoming changes!! I have spent much time building my 'loved' tracks and 'playlists', etc. only to not be able to access them!!

    And..........re: REFUND. I understand not getting my refund because my personal subscription will end before the changes, but what about the 3 gift subscriptions I paid for that will NOT end before the changes??

    I never complained when you took away full track streaming as I found out at that time that Canada never had it to begin with!! That was a shock!! Guess you don't miss what you don't have.

    I don't see any reasons to be a 'subscriber' anymore!!

  • I'm glad I hadn't gotten around to renewing my subscription which ended at the end of last month. The reason why I subscribed in the first place was for personal playlists and I often used loved tracks radio. I now don't see any reason to restart my subscription.

  • No time to write a long response but enough to voice disbelief at such a terrible piece of news. I had to think hard before subscribing when the cost doubled. This will get rid of the main reason for doing it. The mind boggles.

    • Timmmm sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 okt 2010, 17:00

    Wait, what?

    I just subscribed last week specifically *because* I wanted to listen to my 'loved' tracks.

    Unless I'm mistaken, subscribing now involves paying £3/month for....

    * Recent visitors to your profile
    * A prestigious black icon
    * Access to the VIP zone

    Wow. I really can't understand how you can't afford the licensing for the loved tracks radio out of £3/month when the going rate for winamp-style access to all music is £5/month (Spotify, Napster, etc).

    Madness.

  • Re: October 21st site update

    acreature said:
    From November 17th, some subscriber-only radio stations will be discontinued – Loved Tracks Radio, Personal Tag Radio, and playlists.
    Just to clarify, does this also mean that the ability to love, tag, and create/add to playlists will be removed also, as well as the ability to browse online and/or access those lists via api, or is it just the ability to play those lists as stations that's going away?

    Answer appears obvious, but I'd rather not assume.

    Thanks.

  • Re: Re: October 21st site update

    JustSomeOldJoe said:
    acreature said:
    From November 17th, some subscriber-only radio stations will be discontinued – Loved Tracks Radio, Personal Tag Radio, and playlists.
    Just to clarify, does this also mean that the ability to love, tag, and create/add to playlists will be removed also, as well as the ability to browse online and/or access those lists via api, or is it just the ability to play those lists as stations that's going away?

    Answer appears obvious, but I'd rather not assume.

    Thanks.
    The ability to tag, love tracks and add to playlists isn't going anywhere. We're very much hoping we can provide another way to listen to these personal radio stations eventually.

  • Re: Re: Re: October 21st site update

    Knapster01 said:
    JustSomeOldJoe said:
    acreature said:
    From November 17th, some subscriber-only radio stations will be discontinued – Loved Tracks Radio, Personal Tag Radio, and playlists.
    Just to clarify, does this also mean that the ability to love, tag, and create/add to playlists will be removed also, as well as the ability to browse online and/or access those lists via api, or is it just the ability to play those lists as stations that's going away?

    Answer appears obvious, but I'd rather not assume.

    Thanks.
    The ability to tag, love tracks and add to playlists isn't going anywhere. We're very much hoping we can provide another way to listen to these personal radio stations eventually.
    Cool, then the ability to browse/manage these lists online "and" via the API will stay intact also, yes?

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    • holly75 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 okt 2010, 17:31
    The only reason for being a subscriber is being taken away. Last FM seems to be going down the drain.

    Nobody dies a virgin....life fucks us all. ~ Kurt Cobain
  • I've cancelled. Not only do I listen to my tag radio, I listen to my friends loved and tag radio. There's no reason to pay for what I can get from Pandora or Slacker for free.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.