Forum » Feedback and Ideas

October 21st site update - forthcoming changes for subscribers

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 okt 2010, 14:30
    Bookman1974 said:

Don't Lose Last!

reminds "Bring back the old Last.fm", as everyone knows, result of such protests is = zero.

• Användare
    • 24 okt 2010, 14:36
    well.. after some deliberation i have concluded that i dont see any reason to use last.fm anymore, i can accept fact that he was paid, but now it has become last straw of patience. Bye Bye 3 years with last.fm.

• Sure, some people don't value Playlists, Tags etc. And some people don't value them - or Last - enough to pay for them. And do CBS care about protests? Probably not. But does that mean that those of us that DO value these things and are prepared to pay for them should just give up now? Frankly, my dear, I DO give a damn!

List.fm is not the same thing at all
  • Re:CBS/Last.fm

johnTMcNeill said:

These guys sell ears and eyeballs to advertisers. Subscribers get around that. CBS/LFM would rather have the ad money than the $3 subscription fee....

That's the bottom line. All of us canceling our subscriptions means NOTHING to CBS.

All of us complaining in this thread - also means nothing to CBS.

I seriously doubt a few dozen emails to CBS will mean anything either.

I'm still hoping there will be a way to work around this. My subscription is over regardless, but maybe Last.fm could still be useable if we put our heads together. But if all of these features are really gone, I'm pulling my profile. My primary reasons to use this site will be gone, so why should I keep giving CBS my data and viewing their precious ads?

(does anyone know if CBS/last.fm will retain all of my user data if I pull my profile? Thanks.)

• Ant718 sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 okt 2010, 15:20
    Stat tracking will be the next cut.. watch, wait & see!

• Subscription cancelled

What a shame. I have cancelled my subscription.

I'd imagine that the last.fm staff are gutted too. They know the value of the thing we all helped to build.

As already said, you've got to assume that CBS have decided that subscribers are not the way to fund the site and so the subscriber-only features that cost some money are being cut.

I'll keep an eye out but I am moving on. Thanks to the staff and everyone else.

• Passivity equals concordance...

"I seriously doubt a few dozen emails to CBS will mean anything either."

In my opinion doing nothing means nothing, doing something even if with little effect means i give a damn and that users here give a damn. Doing nothing shows passivity and makes the PR, Legal and paper pushers in general happy. It says to them " We can do anything to these f***s and they will just take it! Ummmm What if we make Last.FM a showcase for the bands we want to promote! Screw their tastes, they don`t even protest or anything!"

CBS means: Cut By Segments
  • The ONLY money Last/CBS will get out of me is my subscription. We all know that £3 a month (which is what we pay in the UK, = $4.70 a month) is low for a good service. I'm prepared to pay more for the features that I love, but if these get discontinued so does my sub.

And as far as adverts go: I block them where I can, and I totally ignore them where I can't. If I have to, I'll use a free reduced Last service - and believe me when I say that advertisers won't benefit a penny.

• Canoecat sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 okt 2010, 16:55

Contacting CBS...

I called, they answered, I asked to be transferred to the last.fm department...I left a message... #1-212-975-4321 ...maybe we do have a voice? (CBS Headquarters 51 W. 52nd Street New York, NY 10019-6188)

Redigerad av Canoecat den 24 okt 2010, 17:07
  • Re: Contacting CBS...

Canoecat disse:
    I called, they answered, I asked to be transferred to the last.fm department...I left a message... #1-212-975-4321 ...maybe we do have a voice? (CBS Headquarters 51 W. 52nd Street New York, NY 10019-6188)

Now this is more like it....use or it or loose it people!

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 24 okt 2010, 17:12
    I have to admit I don't know any numbers, but I think cancelling subscriptions is the wrong way.
    The poeple who you hit with that are not sitting at CBS! Last.fm staff has to carry out what you did by quitting, which would mean a cut in quality of Last.fm and all the other cool features and ideas, of which some might still be unborn.
    I really love Last.fm and over the time, features will come and go, so just be patient and see what's next :)

Be assured that noone, including myself, is very happy about that personal tags/loved tracks radio step....

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
    • Canoecat sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 okt 2010, 17:25

Re: Contacting CBS...

tburny said:
    I have to admit I don't know any numbers, but I think cancelling subscriptions is the wrong way.
    The poeple who you hit with that are not sitting at CBS! Last.fm staff has to carry out what you did by quitting, which would mean a cut in quality of Last.fm and all the other cool features and ideas, of which some might still be unborn.
    I really love Last.fm and over the time, features will come and go, so just be patient and see what's next :)

Be assured that noone, including myself, is very happy about that personal tags/loved tracks radio step....

I'm NOT cancelling my subscription ...(I don't know where you got that idea...) I'm very ready, willing, & able to wait and check out the new " cool features and ideas" that last.fm may have...
    I just wanted to let people know that they do have a voice, (it is a constitutional right in the US right?), if they wanted to use it. I had some questions that I thought only they could answer...I don't think there's anything wrong with asking.

Trust me, I am patient,...(just exercising my rights...) As a Canadian! ♥

Redigerad av Canoecat den 24 okt 2010, 18:10
  • Heartless thugs...

http://www.cbscorporation.com/news-article.php?id=694

"CBS Interactive, a division of CBS Corporation, is the best online content network for information and entertainment. With more than 200 million people visiting its properties each month, it is the eighth-largest Web property globally. Its portfolio of leading brands, which includes CNET, CBS.com, CBSSports.com, GameSpot, TV.com, BNET, CBS RADIO and Last.fm, span popular categories such as technology, entertainment, sports, news and business."

Leading brands? The only brand i am interested is LAST.FM, making it a collage of it`s new-found sisters is a big no-no. I love you baby, not your family...let`s elope.

• [spam]

[spam]

vanISHing>>>poINt....*
    Redigerad av hjbardenhagen den 11 dec 2010, 11:09
    • Canoecat sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 okt 2010, 17:48

Re: Contacting CBS...

http://www.cbsinteractive.com/onesheets/lastfm/?tag=brands_list;brand_lastfm

"The Audience is Listening
    Few things are as personal as an individual's taste in music. Last.fm combines a gigantic music library with the industry's best system for matching music tastes to music tracks. With over 43 million tracks and 12 million artists, it's no wonder why music mavins frequently come back to Last.fm2. When you buy Last.fm, you're buying a premium audience that is totally engaged and passionate about music.

Advertiser Benefits
    Desirable demographics
    * They're the web savvy, design-conscious, and socially networked 25 year-olds, who are single and affluent.

Loyal and Influential
    * They're the influencers in their social circles who make Last.fm their home to discover and share great music.

Brand integration
    * Immersive marketing programs that enable advertisers to make their brand part of the conversation. "
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow...interesting...I must say,,,it does kind of look like they're advertising all the stats & hard work that we put into the site to make it what it is, to sell it to potential advertiser/investors... I'm just sayin'...

Redigerad av Canoecat den 24 okt 2010, 17:55
  • Re: Re: Contacting CBS...

Canoecat said:
    http://www.cbsinteractive.com/onesheets/lastfm

Hmm: I see that Last.fm users are "the web savvy, design-conscious, and socially networked 25 year-olds, who are single and affluent".

No wonder they want rid of me! AND I won't watch or listen to their ads!!

Still: I'll pay a decent subscription for a good service. Aren't there enough of us out there??

• Re: Re: Re: Contacting CBS...

Bookman1974 disse:
    Canoecat said:
    http://www.cbsinteractive.com/onesheets/lastfm

Hmm: I see that Last.fm users are "the web savvy, design-conscious, and socially networked 25 year-olds, who are single and affluent".

No wonder they want rid of me! AND I won't watch or listen to their ads!!

Still: I'll pay a decent subscription for a good service. Aren't there enough of us out there??

Apparently not, they want to format Last.Fm to please advertisers and other soulless ghouls. They want to sell us crap...and make it look cool and hip.

• @ the moderator above

You can't expect people to pay CBS something, for nothing in return. What subscribers were getting before these latest changes wasn't substantially better than non subscribers. Suggesting we keep subscribing on the basis of something that might or might not happen in the future, is asking us to live on thin air, when we know we've already been messed around. Last.fm staffers might not go along with CBS, but then again they are still getting to draw a salary whilst the work we have put in on our playlists, in my case at least 41 hours has been for nothing. That time could easily be equated to a weeks salary.

The argument that Last.fm puts forward on its updates page is totally circular and self defeating. People don't think they are getting value for money for a subscription so they don't subscribe. The options that are particular to subscribers aren't popular so Last.fm are removing them.

How about charging Subscribers an amount that can pay for the services? How about offering several tiers so that the most expensive services can be paid for by those who want them for eg. full track streaming on demand?

• toc-rox sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 okt 2010, 18:05
    Could someone publish a (polite but very clear) last.fm/ CBS complain mail template here ?

• jmostert sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 okt 2010, 18:05

Subscription cancelled ...

I became a subscriber just to have access to streaming loved tracks and other people's tags, if that's being taken away, I don't see any point in using last.fm anymore. Listing music is pointless if you can't play it.

Well, I guess if you can't deliver, then you can't, no hard feelings, but as a music addict, I'm moving on to the next best thing.

• Re:Um...

dylanhock said:
    can anyone on staff highlight in honest terms what subscribers WILL get that we couldn't get for free here, or elsewhere? What's the point of being a subscriber anymore?

As I've said elsewhere, the best subscriber pitch we can currently make is on our subscribe page. We're aware it's not exactly compelling at the moment, and will hopefully be launching more subscriber features soon.

• Användare
    • 24 okt 2010, 18:24

Devastated

I'm devastated. I can't believe this is gonna happen for real. As this page was loading I thought to write a long message but... I'm not sure what I should add to these few lines. Last.fm is killing itself, as simple as that...

I have some faith though and I hope the new last.fm features will be interesting.

• Canoecat sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 okt 2010, 18:24

CBS Complaint Mail...

@ Toc-rox:
    As far as I know, the only one, is the one I posted for contact...
    " Contacting CBS...
    I called, they answered, I asked to be transferred to the last.fm department...I left a message... #1-212-975-4321 ...maybe we do have a voice? (CBS Headquarters 51 W. 52nd Street New York, NY 10019-6188)"

Don't be shy, (be polite), but let them know that you have some questions!

Hope that helps,
    Canoecat:)

Redigerad av Canoecat den 24 okt 2010, 18:25
  • Re:Re:Re:Re:October 21st site update

akrde said:
    acreature said:
    These changes should let us increase the amount of streamable music we have, yes.

Globally? Or for US-users mainly/only? And will it affect the LFM Mobile App catalogue, which is very limited actually, as well?

It should help globally, but as it's easiest for us to work in the US/UK I'd expect to see benefits there first. The mobile catalogue is probably the area that stands to see the biggest gains. For instance, we were recently able to make Sony Music's catalogue available on our mobile apps, precisely because of the upcoming streaming changes.

• Ant718 sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 okt 2010, 18:29

Re: Re:Um...

acreature said:
    dylanhock said:
    can anyone on staff highlight in honest terms what subscribers WILL get that we couldn't get for free here, or elsewhere? What's the point of being a subscriber anymore?

As I've said elsewhere, the best subscriber pitch we can currently make is on our subscribe page. We're aware it's not exactly compelling at the moment, and will hopefully be launching more subscriber features soon.

Ummm...."not exactly compelling" is an understatement. They are removing the "CORE" of what last.fm is/was. Nothing can replace personal tag/loved track radio. Nothing!

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.