Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Your ideas for new community features

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 apr 2010, 00:37
    I have been wanting to do this for some time now, but the disaster of the April 12 Site Update feedback "discussion" prompted me to finally put my ideas down in words.
    1. Link back to the origin of quotations in forum postings, not just because it was already mentioned above. Some people including me like to cross-quote between discussions and even forums. Having a link back to the origin of a quotation is essential and avoids having to quote everything in full.
    2. Disable nested quotations, at least by default. Maybe you want to keep them an option in a user's website settings. The discussion should be in the thread, not in each and every posting. It is usually sufficient to quote the posting you are immediately replying to.
    3. Allow multiple quotations by selecting several postings. This can of course also be done by quoting the individual postings and copy/pasting the text, but it is rather inconvenient.
    4. Place notifications of friend requests and user profile shouts somewhere in the menu bar close to the link to my inbox. Somebody suggested that in the aforementioned discussion, and I noticed that I really have been missing that feature.
    5. Provide the BBCode for Last.fm links somewhere on artist / album / track pages, maybe even on user / group / label / tag / event / you-name-it pages. Especially albums and tracks are rather cumbersome to link to, and you always need to preview your posting and check all the links. Maybe the BBCode could go somewhere in the drop-down menus at the top of the page, or there could be a little Link link at the bottom of the page which opens a text field containing the BBCode, roughly like the Quote links in discussions do.
    6. Fix the preview of private messages to correctly render all BBCode that is actually supported in messages, like for example [youtube] or [img].

Sorry if I repeated more of what was posted before, but it is too late now to go working through all proposals. I must say, though, that I like a lot of the ideas I have seen so far.

• Fasalina sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 apr 2010, 14:54
    Ability to set it so only logged in users can see your profile.

I thought I felt my heart move.
    • wolfgan1 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 apr 2010, 15:55
    What about having a "albums recently listened" or maybe "my top albums" column??

Ever thought of giving the users the ability to see who else is listening the same track or arstist at an exact moment??

What about adding a "mood box" or thinngs like "my favourite song/artist/album/ video clip of the week"?

Finally, in the events section, it would be nice if there was a "I wish I could attend" option..

Thanks for listening. Cheeers :D

• About privacy.
    Please, make it possible to close your profile from users, who aren't 'friends'.

Too Fast To Live, Too Young To Die
    • Användare
    • 21 apr 2010, 22:42

More things with playlists

Can you add an option to import and export .m3u and .pls files for playlists and weekly, monthly and yearly charts for users, artists and groups?

• Fasalina sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 apr 2010, 00:39
    Fasalina said:
    Ability to set it so only logged in users can see your profile.

I just wanted to elaborate on this a bit; as a subscriber, I pay for things like being able to see who last viewed my profile. This becomes pointless when people begin to do things like log out just to view it (I know this sounds weird, but people are creepers and do so). I don't want to make it so you can set your profiles entirely private, because that would defeat the social aspect of lastfm, but making it so only users can see your profile seems perfectly safe/okay.

I thought I felt my heart move.
  • I heartily subscribe to all the ideas posted by mvordeme (some are frighteningly familiar ;) )
    I would like to add something... it seems wide screens are more and more the rage nowadays. And Last.fm seems still rather focused on the smaller screen. Especially when you look at the forums for groups.
    Look here, this looks horrible... especially when you see that a subscriber has gotten a new line, just to get the black dot posted too (third thread):
    [click for bigger].

Remember to say "thank you" for the things you haven't had
    • gwalla sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 apr 2010, 07:28
    Make Recommended Reading a full-fledged feature again instead of keeping it hidden. Sure it still has bugs, but it's not much worse in that respect than some of the "live" parts of the site. We also need a personal page that centralizes new threads in our groups' forums: for anyone who has joined several groups, constantly scanning their forums manually for new threads is not feasible, which means that lower-traffic groups will fall by the wayside and will therefore remain low-traffic (if not dying off altogether).

And bring back group recommendations! Many specialized groups formed around group recs: joining a group for a particular niche genre was to get recommendations in that genre. When group recs died with the big overhaul, many of these groups basically died on the vine, or entered a sort of inactive undeath. Group recs would make them useful again.

• fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 apr 2010, 10:30
    Jester-NL said:
    I heartily subscribe to all the ideas posted by mvordeme (some are frighteningly familiar ;) )
    I would like to add something... it seems wide screens are more and more the rage nowadays. And Last.fm seems still rather focused on the smaller screen. Especially when you look at the forums for groups.
    Look here, this looks horrible... especially when you see that a subscriber has gotten a new line, just to get the black dot posted too (third thread):
    [click for bigger].
    i agree, but only to a slight extent. it would involve rethinking the site layout (multi-columned content). for instance, i certainly don't want forum pages to just go wide to fill up space - columns would then be much harder to read once they exceed the optimal characters-per-line limit for readability.

but your post reminds me of something i previous suggested. here's one example of when to use the extra width...

click for full size view

i've done this simply with css - it controls the column height of journals in edit mode so everything is always within your view, including the bbcode buttons even, with a scrollbar thrown in. the preview is to the right, also scrollable. why can't we have this instead of the present, which is so unuser-friendly? (editing becomes a torture once the journal exceeds a certain length.)

U.G.L.Y. - changing the face of music, one artist at a time.
    there are some things pngs can't fix. for everything else, there's pngoptimizer.
    • Babs_05 sa...
    • 22 apr 2010, 13:24
    I like this very much, fmera!

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 22 apr 2010, 14:49
    Some more ideas:

batch-accepting articles to groups
    notifications when your journal has been added to a group

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • maz35 sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 apr 2010, 16:52
    Tecfan said:
    Some more ideas:

In addition to that some sort of notification to group owners that journals have been submitted for approval on the group would be nice, I forget to check.

• gwalla sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 apr 2010, 16:52
    fmera said:
    i've done this simply with css - it controls the column height of journals in edit mode so everything is always within your view, including the bbcode buttons even, with a scrollbar thrown in. the preview is to the right, also scrollable. why can't we have this instead of the present, which is so unuser-friendly? (editing becomes a torture once the journal exceeds a certain length.)
    Ah, good idea. Writing posts for the Post & Discuss Your Weekly Charts group thread, where you annotate the top 10 of your weekly snapshot with about a few sentences per artist, can be a real hassle with the current UI.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 22 apr 2010, 17:13
    maz35 said:
    Tecfan said:
    Some more ideas:

In addition to that some sort of notification to group owners that journals have been submitted for approval on the group would be nice, I forget to check.
    I wouldn't want notifications when my journals are accepted, I'm happy with activity feed. (but of course, it's always nice to have the option).

I would like notification there are journals pending my approval.

While I'm here, just want to add - I don't want pending friends requests viewable up top. Most of the ones I get are spammy and I leave them hanging while I wait for a hello. Anyone adding me for real usually tells me in conversation.

• Sir_Sid sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 apr 2010, 17:57
    Scrobble support from Rhapsody similar to mog!

• Hmm... next time, click "edit" instead of "quote", Jester

Redigerad av Jester-NL den 22 apr 2010, 18:54
  • Sir_Sid said:
    Scrobble support from Rhapsody similar to mog!
    http://build.last.fm/category/Scrobblers?page=2
    There are two on that page already.

And about the width of the forums: see the difference that can be made... for free!!!
    Xbox forum, as currently served in the forum overview (But this goes for every group-forum)
    Same forum, but now linked directly to the forum-number (this works for other (group)forums as well).
    And there is still enough space (on bigger monitors) to do fmera's thing as well ;)

Just the links:
    http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+on+Xbox+LIVE/forum/137848
    http://www.last.fm/forum/137848

Redigerad av Jester-NL den 23 apr 2010, 06:11
    • fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 apr 2010, 19:31
    ^^ another neat trick, thks ;)

U.G.L.Y. - changing the face of music, one artist at a time.
    there are some things pngs can't fix. for everything else, there's pngoptimizer.
    • Användare
    • 22 apr 2010, 23:57
    I thought of two more:
    1. Make the BBCode of sent messages available, maybe add a Quote link.
    2. With the latest changes in mind, it would be nice to have a preview button in shared track messages. It would also make sense to add options to tag or add it to a playlist.

• gwalla sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 apr 2010, 03:51
    PM conversations should be viewable in a threaded mode.

• akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 apr 2010, 05:37

Social plugins

Add Facebook's Social plugins on every Last.fm page.

• RE: Username Changes

* My first point is about to give users the ability to change their usernames.
    Would be great, i totally hate my username, i made it when i was 15 (young and stupid) so it would be really a great option to add.
    And of corse a cooldown to it, lets say you can only change once a month.

* My second opinion is to have somone cleaning all those stupid tags. Lets say that a black metal band got 1000 tags taged "gay". Is that a serious tag? Of corse no.
    Instead of Tags it should be Genre. Nobody really cares about the common tag "seen live" for an example.

Thanks

Niklas
    • Användare
    • 23 apr 2010, 13:54

Re: RE: Username Changes

CyanideCandy said:
    Instead of Tags it should be Genre.
    Highly disagree. Even if you change the name, you're not going to be able to control what tags/genres people enter (unless you use a fixed list, and that goes totally against the current awesome free tagging system).

Nobody really cares about the common tag "seen live" for an example.So don't look at it. (Besides, the PERSONAL tag "seen live" is pretty useful, for an individual to track bands that they've seen live.)

• gwalla sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 apr 2010, 21:01

Re: RE: Username Changes

CyanideCandy said:
    Instead of Tags it should be Genre. Nobody really cares about the common tag "seen live" for an example.
    You clearly don't have any idea what tags are actually for.

• it would be great if it was possible to rate whole albums

You don't have to be weird, to be weird.
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.