Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Your ideas for new community features

• dennetik sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 sep 2011, 11:26

Auto-Correct "%ARTIST%, The" to "The %ARTIST%"?

Could this be implemented? As there already is an auto-correct feature, and this would save a lot of duplicate artists, such as Apples In Stereo, The, Beta Band, The and Dandy Warhols, The.

The chances of an artist actually being named "%ARTIST%, The" are pretty slim, and since "The" is probably the most used, and most suffixed, this would solve most of these issues.

• Free downloads

I don't know if this is a community thing but I think that the free downloads section for free mp3 needs a search bar(s) so that we can look for a specific artist, song, album, and genre. right now all we have is hundreds of pages of random artists and songs only sorted by some form of genre. tell me what you think I believe this change would be great and more people would use free downloads after this.

<~~(====>GreySky<====)~~>
  • A totally different and new way to search for music

<!--I don't know if this idea should be here or somewhere else but hopefully it finds its way to the right spot.-->

A whole new way of searching for music. I'd like to be able to search for say "slow piano" and have a list of songs that come that are slower and have piano. (Slow and Piano being two separate search words). Another search could be "happy" and a bunch of upbeat joyful songs come up. Or "sad slow" or "angry" or whatever. I think if you could search for music like this, people would discover more music from genres they may not listen to. For example, when I come to Last.fm to find new music, I find the music I know and love and browse similar artist or browse the other artists within the same genres. There has been many times where I stumble on songs that I really like that are outside of my normal searching/browsing range.

Sounds like a lot of work to me but I think it would be worth it. I know if I'm thinking of this, someone else is probably thinking the same thing. Users could help by tagging songs as they listen. Maybe a simple input on the Last.fm desktop apps to encourage input (I know I'd contribute while sit here and listen to music out of my library that scrobbles through the Last.fm app. Maybe there already is something else and (I am not counting typing a search into Google and getting some random site that has a list that some 3 people put together) lol. I have more to this idea but I'm not sure if this could be implemented so far. Can it?

• The ability to choose when I don't want an artist recommended anymore. Ex. "Stop recommending this artist when I have 40 plays with it". The number of plays should be up to the user to choose.

• How about report buttons for user profiles/shoutbox comments? It's easier (in theory), than sending a link to support or possibly harassing a moderator about it. Or even make that support link more visible on-site, instead of having to sift through the FAQs to find it (probably in the little "Join In" section?)

• lyonkid1 sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 sep 2011, 18:47

Not good

If i play korn radio, i wanna hear korn!!! not mexican bands that ive never heard of, and in three whole hours of listening to that station, I only heard one, ONE!! korn song. Play more of the main artist for crying out loud, Pandora all the way unless last fm gets this fixed, and also christmas songs aren't good in the summer. Yeah they played a christmas song on korn radio. Pandora has the main artist every 5 songs, why not put in the main artist every 5 songs, cause if that happened last fm would be the best around.

• lyonkid1 sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 sep 2011, 18:47

Not good

If i play korn radio, i wanna hear korn!!! not mexican bands that ive never heard of, and in three whole hours of listening to that station, I only heard one, ONE!! korn song. Play more of the main artist for crying out loud, Pandora all the way unless last fm gets this fixed, and also christmas songs aren't good in the summer. Yeah they played a christmas song on korn radio. Pandora has the main artist every 5 songs, why not put in the main artist every 5 songs, cause if that happened last fm would be the best around.

• rwitte sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 20 sep 2011, 18:51

Re: Not good

lyonkid1 said:
    played a christmas song on korn radio

See on http://www.last.fm/settings/website[/utl] for 'christmas' settings.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 sep 2011, 19:40

Re: Re: Not good

rwitte said:
    See on http://www.last.fm/settings/website for 'christmas' settings.
    URL fixed ... ;-)

• n-farious said:
    How about report buttons for user profiles/shoutbox comments? It's easier (in theory), than sending a link to support or possibly harassing a moderator about it. Or even make that support link more visible on-site, instead of having to sift through the FAQs to find it (probably in the little "Join In" section?)

Yeah, all of these suggestions are under consideration at the moment. The current difficulty with a 'report as abuse' button is that we also need to develop a moderator report queue, which we're currently lacking. More work is definitely going into this.

In the meantime you have 3 options:

http://www.last.fm/about/moderators
    http://www.last.fm/help/support
    http://www.last.fm/user/Lastfmsupport

Supurman202: What you're suggesting is a great idea, but is technically very difficult. If you've read our blog recently, you may noticed that our MIR team are doing a lot of research into audio analysis and methods for extracting musical characteristics (rhythm, complexity, and so on) from recordings, so you can (in theory) tell us "I want to hear a song at x bmp, that's 'upbeat'". The alternative way is simply via tags.

@ManoftheGreySky: please try MP3.com - this is a dedicated website developed by CBS and powered by Last.fm. It basically offers our mp3 downloads in a more accessible way. The search engine lets you search for artists and tracks as you'd expect

Is it Christmas yet?
    http://www.last.fm/christmas
  • Scrobbling to Facebook API a la Spotify

I really think that seeing that Spotify added a feature where plays are added to the facebook ticker API, that last.fm should do this too. Spotify does NOT scrobble local tracks, which is incredibly infuriating, seeing as all the listening I do is from my local library, not from the limited amount of songs that are on spotify.

• This might be the wrong recommendation topic for this and I apologize if it is and also apologize if this is something that has been said before. I think it would be nice if there were an easier way to get to the album page for an album. What I mean by this is you know how if you click on the artist plays in your profile there is a link that says Or go to _____’s artist page? I think it would be nice to have a similar link for individual albums when you click on them in your library. its not a huge deal or anything but it would be nice to have an easier way to get to an album's page than the current system where you have to attempt to track it down on the artist's page which sometimes is difficult/impossible.

• ^ it is a good idea, most often there's multiple albums that are mispelled or tons of ep/singles that are often lost in the clutter. For the most part the top played albums are on top but no way to know when they were released or whether or not it's the correct album name title. Anyways theres a topic on that: http://www.last.fm/forum/21717/_/636285/2#f15851594

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 sep 2011, 13:55
    +1

• Making purchasing easier

Currently, the "buy track" option requires you to go to the track page, which is a bit of a faff, especially if you want to buy multiple tracks that you've discovered through last.fm

It'd be good to be able to check a number of tracks in any playlist/a dedicated "to buy" playlist/the Loved tracks list, to then buy them all in a bundle.

Currently, the track page compares from at least iTunes and Amazon MP3 - both prices (as well as free download possibilities!) could be presented in a table with songs as rows.
    The default selection would pick the cheaper option for every song, and have buttons "Take me to X checkout" for each retailer.

The feature would keep track of tracks already bought through last.fm and have them automatically de-selected, though with the option of re-selecting them.

• Suggestion for Festival Lineup

You should make it so a user can toggle which artists they saw at past festivals to help improve recommended artists.

Another small idea for the events would be an option to say if you enjoyed the show or not. Just a thumbs up or down symbol and if a user gives a band one or two thumbs downs the band wont be recommended in upcoming shows.

• snyde1 said:
    CuteCheapBoy said:
    Hi, i guess this is mostly a question?

Im sure this has been discussed before but I havent found it, is there any possibility that artists forum threads will ever exist in lastfm? I mean in all music forums pretty much most members have lastfm, it would be so cool to just discuss the artist i like here but instead i have to go search for other forums.

That sounds like a group thing. Head to the artist's page you're interested in, and check the right side for groups. If they're linked to a group, that group likely has discussion about them.

If there are no groups listed, create one and add the artist to the group's connections.

Candyheart33 said:
    Good luck getting anyone to post in it...

Yes the problem is almost no one posts on the groups section, Last.fm could have huge (artist) forums and the forums would make even more people join the site.

Edit: oops i just i read what a moderator said about this, i guess they wont be added. To me they would be one of the best things to come to the site for besides checking my scrobbles.

• [spam]

[spam]

Redigerad av hjbardenhagen den 13 jan 2012, 07:10
  • History by tag

I would like to see a page with my played tracks selected by a tag. Does this page exists?

• Flag for review

I wish there was a link for when an album is linked to the wrong artist but same name. Seems like there is no easy way to say hey this is wrong, google maps even has the ability to correct it yourself and then it is just approved by a moderator, I use it all the time.

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 22 okt 2011, 15:47

Re: Auto-Correct "%ARTIST%, The" to "The %ARTIST%"?

dennetik said:
    Could this be implemented? As there already is an auto-correct feature, and this would save a lot of duplicate artists, such as Apples In Stereo, The, Beta Band, The and Dandy Warhols, The.

The chances of an artist actually being named "%ARTIST%, The" are pretty slim, and since "The" is probably the most used, and most suffixed, this would solve most of these issues.

On the right side of the artist page, there is a link to suggest corrections :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
    • KeIemvor sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 okt 2011, 17:13
    What about implementing an ignore function like on other internet sites where you can ignore a user and then it hides all his/her shouts and posts all over the website, not just blocking him from your profile?

It would be very helpful in cases of massively trolled shoutboxes/forums where you have to read through lots of troll shouts to follow a certain discussion.

Would that be difficult to implement?

Personally I would subscribe for such a feature.

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 23 okt 2011, 22:03
    Just report them :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
    • KeIemvor sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 okt 2011, 13:25
    Well, that doesn't really work in a case like Bloody-Lunar cause she doesn't get banned anymore. But as I've heard the staff is already developing such a feature, so nevermind.

• Backgrounds

Customizing backgrounds would be nice:)

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.