Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Your ideas for new subscription features

• akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 mar 2010, 12:15

Your ideas for new subscription features

Number of paying Last.fm subscribers is very low, so CBS unit’s product VP Fred McIntyre announced new features around the subscription service in Q2.

To all users who have never subscribed yet: What were your ideas/wishes for enhancing the actual subscription service in a way that it could make you think about subscribing?

To all the users that have unsubscribed in the last time for whatever reason: What would you like to see to get you on board again?

To all subscribers: What additional subscriber features could make you think about paying a higher monthly fee?

News Source: http://paidcontent.org/article/419-interview-cbs-thinks-last.fm-will-turn-a-profit-this-year/
    Discuss this news with us here: http://www.last.fm/forum/23/_/611777

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 20 mar 2010, 13:23
    I'm actually happy with what we get.. On-demand would of course be -the- feature, but perhaps not possible at the current time for Last.fm..

I've had so many thoughts and threads about smaller and bigger features for this site, but I can't think of any right now.. (due to the lack of a "My forum posts" (posts you started - not limited to the last 2 weeks)..

but the single thing I would like the most is a "read guarantee". I want at least one staff member to open my support/feedback/idea thread, and marked thereafter.. I see so many "+1"-threads just silently go away, with no staff member agreeing or disagreeing..

of course, this is not do-able and rather stupid, but. as I have said many times - we're paying for this, so listen to us, take our feedback and listen to our demands

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 mar 2010, 13:56
    Leaving out play-on-demand, a pause button, or anything else that violates the radio licencing agreement...

...beging able to edit my scrobbles-- being able to fix the track name, album, artist, date and time played after something is already scrobbled would be a big bonus, and worth the $3/month.

Having an export/import feature for the whole library would be nice as well (there are 3rd party tools that can do the export, but it would be nice to have it built in. Even with 3rd-party tools importing is still limited, because everthing will be scrobbled for the day it was re-imported, rather than when it was originally played.)

There really should be a way to backup your library / scrobbleing data.

• Former subscriber, haven't bothered since it was revealed there are certain tracks which will only play on the radio but there's no indication of what these tracks are. Would probably pay again if this was resolved. Would also love to see more done with the auto-corrections - like tracks and artists (and albums?) being completely merged, so that you don't see the incorrect names all over the charts.

• toc-rox sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 mar 2010, 18:16
    For (premium) subscribers:
    - no restrictions concerning playlists
    - high quality streaming
    Remark: An album is just a special kind of playlist.

• The new features I want are no new features. What I want is pretty simple... and will keep me subscribing for life.

First and foremost, focus in on the data architecture and get it right! If I had a buck for every time I've said this over the years, I'd be a rich man: get the front-end wrong, you rebuild the front-end; get the app layer wrong, you rebuild the app layer + the front-end; get the data architecture wrong, you rebuild everything.

Whatever it takes, focus in on the data architecture and work toward an accurate catalog. That doesn't mean perfect scrobbles, but it does mean building an abstraction mechanism between the labels and internal sys, integrating the album attribute, and cleaning up the base catalog. Whether its integrating Musicbrainz, Discogs, or additional catalog services, implementing additional internal MDM mechanisms, or a combination of all the above, pick a method/arch that moves you in the direction of serving the system of record purpose, and get it done. Without it, you're just building new services on a faulty foundation... house of cards.

Second, work on enhancing and solidifying the API. Make the jump to allowing full control (integrate banned track retrieval, shout retrieval/tracking, track removal, message management, etc), and build in an appropriate synch mechanism.

At its core, LFM is a data services firm. Data services are it's bread and butter. They've got the one thing that no one else has: scrobbling ubiquity. As a result, they're the perfect service to serve as system of record. Work on the data services and API and everything else falls into place.

• toc-rox sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 mar 2010, 12:55
    @JustSomeOldJoe: Do not overrate scrobbling and data services - that's not where in the future "the music plays".

• Användare
    • 21 mar 2010, 17:04
    +100 to everything JustSomeOldJoe said.

I agree completely. The first, second, third, fourth, and fifth priorities should be getting the architecture right. The sixth, seventh, and eigth priority, the API. (My request for editable scrobbles would be somewhere well down below that.)

Edited to Add: If they had a "subscribe to help support our architecture-revamping project!" campaign who's benefits were deferred until the architecture work was done, that would be enough to get me to finally subscribe if they were able to convince me they were going to do what it takes to get the architecture (not perfect, but) solid.

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 21 mar 2010, 17:22
    • Användare
    • 21 mar 2010, 17:14
    toc-rox said:
    @JustSomeOldJoe: Do not overrate scrobbling and data services - that's not where in the future "the music plays".

It's easy enough to lay radio on top of the scrobbling/data services architecture, the reverse is not true.

The data services are what last.fm has that Pandora, Rhapsody, and other listening services don't have. It's about core competencies. Get the data right, and the music is then "just" a matter of negotiating licenses.

• toc-rox said:
    Don't think it's the future at all, but it's a necessary, integral piece.

My library use to be what sat on my PC... easily managed by the lib manager of my choice. Now, it's what sits on Last.fm, lala, myspace, and hundreds of bookmarks to multiple additional services... in addition to my PC. There needs to be a single hub that can collect and store that info... a single place where I can refer to get an as complete pic as possible of what my true "library" actually is (for a multitude of reasons).

There's only one place near capable of providing that service. It's that service alone that has value to me, even without playback. Regardless, tighten up that arch and the degree of brittle reduces significantly enabling quicker/easier integration of new services.

It might not be the future of music, but it's an integral piece and a significant strategic advantage.

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 mar 2010, 17:36
    toc-rox said:

sorting this stuff out is paramount as it will make all the other services that much better/more accurate.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • Användare
    • 21 mar 2010, 18:44
    Exactly. My "library" is spread across my computer, my iPod, Rhapsody, Pandora.com, YouTUBE, Myspace, several places where I purchase CDs, and last.fm.

There is NOTHING* last.fm could do to make themselves the only, or even the primary place that I listen to music. However, it is already becoming the central hub from which the rest of these sources branch out.

* well, other than providing anything I could ever want to listen to, no matter how obscure, available immediately for listening on-demand whether or not I'm connected to the internet, on my home computer or work computer or my Ipod or the car stereo...and a pony, a perpetual motion machine, and the higgs boson.

• lijemo said:
    Exactly. My "library" is spread across my computer, my iPod, Rhapsody, Pandora.com, YouTUBE, Myspace, several places where I purchase CDs, and last.fm.

There is NOTHING* last.fm could do to make themselves the only, or even the primary place that I listen to music. However, it is already becoming the central hub from which the rest of these sources branch out.
    Spot on!

There's a need, there. If you go on a shopping spree for the month using the card, you don't need to log into every shop you visited and download your transactions individually. Instead, you log into your bank, and it's all there... it would be a nightmare managing your finances otherwise.

Music data may not be nearly as critical as your financial transactions, but the same need exists. There may be music attached, but at its core, we're just managing data.

I spent some time near the tail end of last year putting together an app that tried to manage all that global, segmented data. Basically, normalizing data across multiple services, mining data for reco lists, putting together playlists abstracted from source, and, most important, providing a centralized, single view of one's global lib including overlap. LFM's data is key! Without it and scrobbling, best of luck. With it, you're actually pretty close... very close.

For the record, I don't think LFM's data arch side is that far off. There will be some pain, but they're pretty close. Though we don't talk about it, there's a logical separation between the arch that supports scrobbles and the structure laid on top that supports playback & catalog. The scrobbling side is actually pretty clean... you can provide album and you can provide an MBID. It's pretty close, but the playback side and the triple store approach bleeds in idiosyncrasies that, IMO, cause the majority of problems and need to be addressed.

• Just an FYI (that seems to fit with the convo)...

tburny put up a blog entry on the new client, with screen shots included, here. Looks like an improvement... discovery mode and artist selection control (popular to obscure) are definitely steps in the right direction.

Wonder if some of those features will be sub only.

• Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 21 mar 2010, 23:42
    Never mind features, I'd primarily like to see some of the ongoing bugs & issues fixed.

• juepucta sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 mar 2010, 00:31
    I am with JSOJ and Dankine. A bit of an old timer myself and i am tired of some old as hell bugs never getting fixed and some very basic, structurally fundamental, crap not being focused on to focus on this being the red, sing-songy version of Facebook.

-G.

• maz35 sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 mar 2010, 13:52
    JustSomeOldJoe said:
    Just an FYI (that seems to fit with the convo)...

tburny put up a blog entry on the new client, with screen shots included, here. Looks like an improvement... discovery mode and artist selection control (popular to obscure) are definitely steps in the right direction.

Hybrid stations! And, or and not functions! Its like all my streaming dreams come true. Please finish the new client soon guys :P

• No1 feature for me: Export entire listening data to .csv (And library)

However, I personally am unlikely to unsubscribe. It expired for 12 hours and I felt suddenly naked.

I am so much cooler online...

This Is My Joystick
    All Things Uncharted
  • LadyPatience said:
    No1 feature for me: Export entire listening data to .csv (And library)

However, I personally am unlikely to unsubscribe. It expired for 12 hours and I felt suddenly naked.
    If you're comfortable using command line tools, you can get what you're looking for (close) over at toc-rox's page.

He's provided a perl util that downloads your lib in xspf format. With a little work, you can import that into a spreadsheet.

• maz35 said:
    JustSomeOldJoe said:
    Just an FYI (that seems to fit with the convo)...

Hybrid stations! And, or and not functions! Its like all my streaming dreams come true. Please finish the new client soon guys :P
    Yup... just hoping they provide API access.

• toc-rox sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 mar 2010, 19:36
    LadyPatience said:
    No1 feature for me: Export entire listening data to .csv (And library)
    May helpful - this saves your listening data to a XML file:
    perl lfmCOL.pl -xmlfile=myRecentTracks.xml method=user.getRecentTracks limit=50 user=LadyPatience
    Be patient ... it runs for a while ...

• Interesting. Thank you very much. :)

I am so much cooler online...

This Is My Joystick
    All Things Uncharted
    • flaneur sa...
    • Alumni
    • 23 mar 2010, 17:22
    Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys!

To all those who mentioned the importance of data -- I couldn't possibly agree more with you. We want Last.fm to be the definitive online home of your music taste, and a lot of the things we have planned for the year will aim to emphasize (and enhance) that. (And as JustSomeOldJoe mentions, continuing to improve our catalogue at the global level will be important to this too.)

In case you missed it, you might also like Adrian's recent blog post, "But does it scrobble?". Scrobbles are our lifeblood and this will be one of the largest upgrades to that infrastructure in years.

Keep the feedback coming. :)

• flaneur said:
    To all those who mentioned the importance of data -- I couldn't possibly agree more with you. We want Last.fm to be the definitive online home of your music taste
    . . .
    continuing to improve our catalogue at the global level will be important to this too.
    Excellent. That's a service clarifier and an expectation setter... thanks!

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 23 mar 2010, 18:17
    I said in the other thread that I would be prepared to pay a higher subscription fee for Subscriber+.

But I also feel we should keep the E£$3 level because it undercuts all the competition and also doesn't exclude kids on pocket money or those who can't/don't want to pay more. In some currencies, E£$3 is a fair bit of money.

(mainly posted here to track this thread...)

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.