Forum » Feedback and Ideas

November 4th site update

• November 4th site update

Hello!

After a couple of larger site releases we've got a quieter one for you today. Almost all of today's release was back-end/internal changes, but here's some details.

XBox improvements. Last.fm will be coming to your XBox 360 so we've been making sure our systems can handle it and everything will work as it should. Even if you haven't got an XBox this results in a more reliable and slightly faster Last.fm experience for you.

Web Service improvements. Our web services let people use Last.fm to make their own apps. We've got some new methods and additions to the old ones. You can read all the details in the Web Services forum now.

Backend switches. There's a couple of internal services that have been retired in this release. You won't notice any difference, but one removes a single point of failure and another frees up our resources to focus on more exciting things.

Support fixes. We fixed 17 bugs in this release, mostly with our internal & moderator tools. Better mod tools help keep Last.fm a friendly, spam-free place.

Retirement of widgets & Facebook apps. Widgets and the Facebook apps have been around for a while now, but haven't been well-maintained recently as our focus shifted to building up the Last.fm API platform (and the 3rd party apps/widgets/tools it enables). As of today they won't be available any more. But don't despair! This lets us take care of our image charts, and there's a lot of third-party apps built using our API that are way cooler than our widgets ever were. Check out Build for some examples, and Facebook's application directory too.

That's it for now. We'll be back in 2 weeks with another update.

Redigerad av flaneur den 4 nov 2009, 15:45
    • maz35 sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 nov 2009, 16:31
    Sad to see the widgets go...

One other change I've noticed, you've shrunk the player on track pages...at least initially.

• Meh, the suggestion for user.getShouts wasn't added (to set a filter)... :(

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 4 nov 2009, 19:13
    I noticed the player on track pages looks different as well

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • Some pretty major changes implemented on the back-end addressing data integrity. Much, much, much better... and mucho appreciated!

• akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 nov 2009, 21:35
    JustSomeOldJoe said:
    Some pretty major changes implemented on the back-end addressing data integrity. Much, much, much better... and mucho appreciated!

Some examples?

• Kudo's Acreature ;)

Now, if only the mods could be more understanding, polite and descriptive, all would be well in the LFM universe.

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 4 nov 2009, 22:06
    CrybKeeper said:
    Kudo's Acreature ;)

Now, if only the mods could be more understanding, polite and descriptive, all would be well in the LFM universe.

imo, the mods are very good, but there are too few of them, and some haven't been logged in for ages

• Annoyed

It would have been nice to have gotten some notice about the retirement of the Facebook widget-- which is still downloadable from your support page. I went to the Build page and the Facebook app page and found nothing that does what I want it to-- just report what I've been playing on my profile. This is really disappointing and makes Last.fm significantly less useful for me.

• akrde said:
    JustSomeOldJoe said:
    Some pretty major changes implemented on the back-end addressing data integrity. Much, much, much better... and mucho appreciated!

Some examples?
    The call used to export all of a user's tracks now exports all of a user's tracks, including those with a zero playcount. More important, all tracks are now returned with either the correct Album (by correct, I mean the same album shown assigned to the track on the site), or, in the case the album is unknown, an empty album field.

What it means, at minimum, is that if you wish to use LFM as a system of record for your global library -- something sorely needed given all the source points out there -- you're now one step closer (and it's a big step).

Likewise, you now have the means to build a simple tool to yank all of your tracks with empty album info. As such, you're a step closer to building something that allows you to edit metadata and clean up your lib.

There are a number of other ramifications. Bottom line: it's a foundational fix that was desperately needed (IMO) and it's now there.

There were a number of additional API mods/enhancements as well. Definitely a step in the right direction!

Redigerad av JustSomeOldJoe den 5 nov 2009, 00:01
  • Re: Annoyed

Tecfan said:
    CrybKeeper said:
    Kudo's Acreature ;)

imo, the mods are very good, but there are too few of them, and some haven't been logged in for ages

Yes agree, that is the biggest problem. The forums are growing fast, but many mods are missing for months, even over a year :(

Vic_Arpeggio said:
    It would have been nice to have gotten some notice about the retirement of the Facebook widget-- which is still downloadable from your support page. I went to the Build page and the Facebook app page and found nothing that does what I want it to-- just report what I've been playing on my profile. This is really disappointing and makes Last.fm significantly less useful for me.

There was tons of notice at Facebook and here in the pinned threads. I admit, it is difficult to stay informed with just forum announcements though.

LFM did try to get the word out, but with 42,000,000 some odd memebers, it is more likely up to us to keep ourselves updated, by reading the fine print.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 4 nov 2009, 23:42
    Thanks for the update news.

... we're at 42million members now?

• Babs_05 said:

That is what I read in the corporate news, but having trouble finding the article that boasted that number :(

• akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 nov 2009, 06:57
    CrybKeeper said:
    Babs_05 said:

That is what I read in the corporate news, but having trouble finding the article that boasted that number :(

Could you please post the source when you found it?

• Wiki still says 30 mil active members(2007): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last.fm

This pdf file has some data, but not the number of members: http://www.cbsinteractive.com/brand_pdfs/LastLfm_brand-one-sheetl_100209.pdf?tag=brands_list;brand_lastfm

CBS Interactive, a division of CBS Corporation, is the premier online content network for information and entertainment. Its portfolio of leading brands, which include CNET, CBS.com, CBSSports.com, GameSpot, TV.com, BNET and Last.fm, span popular categories like technology, entertainment, sports, news, music and business. With more than 150 million people visiting each month, CBS Interactive is a top 10 web property globally.

The 150 million are visiting:

CBS.com
    CHOW
    CNET
    GameSpot
    Last.fm
    MaxPreps
    Metacritic
    mySimon
    NCAA.com
    TechRepublic
    the Insider
    TV.com
    UrbanBaby
    ZDNet

• akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 nov 2009, 14:23
    CrybKeeper said:
    Wiki still says 30 mil active members(2007): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last.fm

This is very outdated and i guess it's significantly less active members since 22 April 2009.

So these 42 million members must be a newspaper hoax or just rumours or if it is or ever was true most of them are orphaned profiles now! ;-)

• Actually it continued to rise and as of June 2009 unique users peaked at 37.3 million: Here is another LastFM staff blog: http://blog.last.fm/2009/06/10/message-from-the-lastfm-founders-felix-rj-and-martin.

The article I saw, touting 42,000,000 was a corporate news release, sometime last month, that has since been replaced with more current events. That is why I can no longer find it, or link it.

• snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 5 nov 2009, 22:48

CBS says ...

... 20M? (Circa 2008) You'd think they'd update these from time-to-time, wouldn't you?

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • vince_fm sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 nov 2009, 05:08

Facebook

Is there going to be anything similar to a facebook widget in the future? I really loved that feature =((

• pavskies sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 nov 2009, 05:18

Re: Facebook

vince_fm said:
    Is there going to be anything similar to a facebook widget in the future? I really loved that feature =((

Someday the dream will end
    • akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 nov 2009, 14:53
    JustSomeOldJoe said:
    There were a number of additional API mods/enhancements as well. Definitely a step in the right direction!

Sounds great, thanks...

• Re: CBS says ...

snyde1 said:
    ... 20M? (Circa 2008) You'd think they'd update these from time-to-time, wouldn't you?

Agreed. That link is to the public CBS page. There are several CBS Interactive sites for some reason, all in different modes of updating. Some look untouched for two years!

I found more updated news at the CBS corporate page, rather than public Interactive pages. Here

Also, I get e-mailed SEC filings from most corporations I follow, so I know exactly what the company is gaining or losing quarterly. ;)

(EDIT) Using that link to the corporate site I looked under the news tab and found an article. It states that LastFM and CBS Interactive Music Group have joined together, which brought the combined user base to 40 million. Here.

Redigerad av CrybKeeper den 6 nov 2009, 18:49
    • Babs_05 sa...
    • 6 nov 2009, 18:43

Re: Re: CBS says ...

CrybKeeper said:

Also, I get e-mailed SEC filings from most corporations I follow, so I know exactly what the company is gaining or losing quarterly. ;)
    I catch that in Google News. Does make for fascinating reading, totally agree. :)

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 6 nov 2009, 18:50

Re: Re: Re: CBS says ...

Babs_05 said:
    CrybKeeper said:

I catch that in Google News. Does make for fascinating reading, totally agree. :)

ahh, so this is where you find all this Last.fm stuff you stumble :>

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 6 nov 2009, 18:59

Re: Re: Re: Re: CBS says ...

Tecfan said:
    Babs_05 said:
    CrybKeeper said:

ahh, so this is where you find all this Last.fm stuff you stumble :>
    Yes! Been telling everyone for ages. I love it. I set up email alerts and try to keep up. Google News doesn't capture everything but it's a good start.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.