Redigerad av hjbardenhagen den 16 aug 2011, 14:46
    • gwalla sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 aug 2008, 01:38
    Go troll elsewhere.

• Jeff42 sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 aug 2008, 05:01
    I also agree that the current near-invisibility of journals is a big problem. Is anyone official going to comment on this?

• I've noticed that since Last.fm's changed, any new journals i've found (which can be a hard to see) there has been almost no comments on any of the journals after July 17th.Although maybe it's a technical problem, i dunno.It just seems to me, that the lack of any comments could be down to them being hard to find, or notice.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 4 aug 2008, 16:27
    I'm getting far fewer views of my journals now, and that's despite adding them to my sig. They are definitely harder to find. It's ages since I stumbled across someone else's journal. I used to check the newest ones on the old Users page as they used to show up there. Now, I don't know where to start looking.

• I think this is too bad. I hadn't been active on last.fm for quite awhile and when I came back, the first thing I wanted to get involved in again was the journaling aspect. It seems kind of pointless now. I'd really like to see something (re)implemented so that we can find new and interesting journal posts from the community.

"It is, I think, that we are all so alone in what lies deepest in our souls, so unable to find the words, and perhaps the courage to speak with unlocked hearts, that we don't know at all that it is the same with others."
    -Sheldon Vanauken
  • At the risk of getting a warning for spam, for all you enjoyers of recommended reading I put up a new journal for anybody to check out.

Basically, this is what I've been doing every time I post a new journal - going around to my friend's shoutboxes and telling them that I posted a new journal. Its a lot of work and my friend's are cool, but getting comments from other users is pretty sweet.

Winner's write the history books while Losers bury the dead.
    • _agatka_ sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 aug 2008, 20:09
    It seems that recent journals returned to artist's main pages. I wish someone from the crew told us if recommended journals will ever be back.

• Yes I'm defininitely in favour of journals becomming more visible and easier to find again. Athough something really needed to be done about all the troll imbeciles "ghostlinking" 100 irrelevent artists to their moronic trolling posts. I REALLY hated that.

I am leader of: the Ethereal music group; the Darkwave Music group and the Faith And the Muse group.
    Suspicious food taster at:
    • gwalla sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 aug 2008, 05:09
    There has to be a better way of filtering out the spam and other irrelevant journal entries than eliminating journal linking altogether.

• Recommended Reading, and Reply Tracker were the two reasons I had for visiting Last.FM on a daily basis. In fact, they're the main reason I've had for really enjoying the site over the last couple of years. I haven't been enticed to write a Journal in well over a month now.

The Reply Tracker is a huge loss... that was a stroke of brilliance for a social networking site.

RIP Brave New Waves... CBC Radio2 1984-2007...
  • Iridescence said:
    Yes I'm defininitely in favour of journals becomming more visible and easier to find again. Athough something really needed to be done about all the troll imbeciles "ghostlinking" 100 irrelevent artists to their moronic trolling posts. I REALLY hated that.

A simple answer for that is giving us the ability to rate or tag individual users and filter them accordingly.

• A simple answer for that is giving us the ability to rate or tag individual users and filter them accordingly.

Brilliant idea. Hopefully they revamp the entire journaling system or at least bring some things back. Its nice to see that formatting of journal replies is back. Hopefully they do something with all that white space to the right of journals - I personal liked the overview of the linked artists, but if they aren't going to do that, at least make the journal the width of the screen. And for God's sake, hide/make smaller/move the Group Submissions somewhere other than the space between the journal and comments - its a friggin' eye sore.

• gwalla sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 aug 2008, 05:02
    Televiper said:
    Recommended Reading, and Reply Tracker were the two reasons I had for visiting Last.FM on a daily basis. In fact, they're the main reason I've had for really enjoying the site over the last couple of years. I haven't been enticed to write a Journal in well over a month now.

The Reply Tracker is a huge loss... that was a stroke of brilliance for a social networking site.
    Reply Tracker has been back for about a week now. It's kind of hidden though. Go to your grapevine (click on the number of posts beside your avatar on your profile), and there should be a link to it in blue near the top.

Or go to last.fm/user/<your username here>/replytracker

• Reply tracker isn't completely back, though. It only keeps track of forum posts and your own journals - replies in other people's journals aren't tracked.

• gwalla sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 aug 2008, 05:56
    Here's an idea: if you follow a journal link from an artist, album, or track page, it could let you rate the journal entry's relevance to the subject you came from. The links on those pages could show the average rating and number of ratings. The ratings could also be used in the formula for deciding what to display in Recommended Reading.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 11 aug 2008, 15:13
    I'm not a fan of rating stuff, I only give 5s in YouTube or nothing at all for instance, but yeah, I could go with journal ratings.

Sometimes I visit a journal, see it's just a list (or nonsense), and pop right back out. Other times I read but don't comment, and other times still, I say something. I love Last.fm journals, inspite of the spammy ones.

• gwalla sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 aug 2008, 18:31
    I should highlight the fact that the rating wouldn't be for the journal itself, but for the link from a particular artist, album, or track. I don't think overall ratings of journal entries would be that productive.

For example, if you were on the page for Radiohead, and followed a link to a recent journal from that page, at the bottom of the journal entry (but above the comments) it would say something like "How relevant was this journal to Radiohead?" with clickable star ratings and an OK button.

• Journal ratings would be pretty sweet - just think having a page devoted to the "best rated journals" of the week or something. I also think it would be necessary to be able to ignore users' journals if they do a lot of memes.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 11 aug 2008, 19:05
    gwalla said:
    I should highlight the fact that the rating wouldn't be for the journal itself, but for the link from a particular artist, album, or track. I don't think overall ratings of journal entries would be that productive.

For example, if you were on the page for Radiohead, and followed a link to a recent journal from that page, at the bottom of the journal entry (but above the comments) it would say something like "How relevant was this journal to Radiohead?" with clickable star ratings and an OK button.

So are we saying degrees of relevance? or a simple yes/no?

If it's degrees of relevance then we're probably looking at say a 5star rating system, which could easily be misinterpreted as how good an article is.

if it's a yes/no, then then it's a yes/no. an article either is relevant, or it isn't. so people might have a policy for clicking no for all lists. But what about end of year lists? or Mercury Music Award and similar lists? What do we do about the grey areas?

I'm guessing a vague 5star rating, rating for enjoyment, relevance, anything else might be the thing that works.

• I think the relevance thing would be a bit much and I'm not sure what would be a good way to implement it into the current system since you don't want to get too scientific. I would like to being able to rate the quality of a journal and then having a type of constraint that would only show you journals with a rating above a 2 or what have you. But then again thats getting a lot more complicated than recommended reading has to be - I liked the simplicity of the original and picking out memes/surveys and year-end lists wasn't that hard to do in the overview.

• gwalla sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 aug 2008, 21:07
    Babs_05 said:
    So are we saying degrees of relevance? or a simple yes/no?

If it's degrees of relevance then we're probably looking at say a 5star rating system, which could easily be misinterpreted as how good an article is.
    I was thinking degrees of relevance, but a yes/no would work too. The thing is that the average rating and number of ratings would only appear next to the link, not on the journal itself. So if somebody posts something that actually is about a few bands (let's say Radiohead, Muse, and Coldplay), then adds a cluster of band links to the bottom to make it more visible (there'd be a ton, but let's say The Beatles, The Smashing Pumpkins, and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart), it could easily have a fairly good rating for the links from bands it actually mentions but a lousy rating for the links from bands it is just using to spam. Somebody seeing the link on the Radiohead page would see something like "12 users thought this was 83% relevant on average" under it, while somebody looking at Mozart's page would see "25 users thought this was 1% relevant on average". Somebody looking at the journal itself would only see their own rating, not any sort of aggregate or average.

if it's a yes/no, then then it's a yes/no. an article either is relevant, or it isn't. so people might have a policy for clicking no for all lists. But what about end of year lists? or Mercury Music Award and similar lists? What do we do about the grey areas?It'd be up to the person rating. Users can legitimately differ on their criteria for different ratings.

The only real problem I can see is people giving journals they don't agree with low ratings. I don't think there's any way around this.

I considered weighting relevance ratings by the subject's overall ranking in the rating user's charts, but what about somebody who knows nothing about a band but is curious, and finds a journal that helps them? Their opinion should be considered important. And also it'd reward the people who artificially boost their playcounts for a given artist, who would probably be among those most likely to rate based on whether they agree or not. Besides which, it'd just make things way too complicated.

• gwalla said:
    Reply Tracker has been back for about a week now. It's kind of hidden though. Go to your grapevine (click on the number of posts beside your avatar on your profile), and there should be a link to it in blue near the top.

Or go to last.fm/user/<your username here>/replytracker

Thanks, I never would have looked there.

• gwalla said:
    The only real problem I can see is people giving journals they don't agree with low ratings. I don't think there's any way around this.

I considered weighting relevance ratings by the subject's overall ranking in the rating user's charts, but what about somebody who knows nothing about a band but is curious, and finds a journal that helps them? Their opinion should be considered important. And also it'd reward the people who artificially boost their playcounts for a given artist, who would probably be among those most likely to rate based on whether they agree or not. Besides which, it'd just make things way too complicated.

I can see people giving journals low ratings simply because they mention bands they don't like. Ratings systems are vulnerable to abuse and the effects of that abuse are more pervasive when your tastes aren't mainstream. What I'd like to be able to do is tag journals as "recommended" (perhaps with a comment) and have that exposed to my friends and neighbours. It would add value to the social network and give us some ability to chose the content we're exposed to. A central page where the most recommended reads are put out would be great too. I believe we can already do this in some respect.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 12 aug 2008, 00:51
    Televiper said:

I can see people giving journals low ratings simply because they mention bands they don't like. Ratings systems are vulnerable to abuse and the effects of that abuse are more pervasive when your tastes aren't mainstream. What I'd like to be able to do is tag journals as "recommended" (perhaps with a comment) and have that exposed to my friends and neighbours. It would add value to the social network and give us some ability to chose the content we're exposed to. A central page where the most recommended reads are put out would be great too. I believe we can already do this in some respect.

That gets a big +1 from me. I'd love a recommended reads page. In fact, I'm pretty sure I requested something similar during beta. I suggested getting rid of that Listen tab (up in the bar, between Events and Video) seeing as it's next to useless, and replacing it with, well actually I wanted a Last.fm Newsletter but that was probably asking too much, lol. Anyway, I'd love a Comms/Social tab up there.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.