Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Requesting the return of Recommended Reading

• Requesting the return of Recommended Reading

First off, great job on the site upgrade. Like everything else in life it's not perfect, but it sure works a lot better than the previous site did and is a lot easier to use and more intuitive.

However

One of the features that originally attracted me to this site was the Recommended Reading one. Many of us like not only to listen to our music, but to talk about and discuss it also. It was nice to be able to write a journal and get responses from like-minded people, and also to respond to the thoughts of others.

I know that the team had promised the return of the feature in the past, but I'd rather it not be forgotten or left by the wayside.

Thanks,
    LJ

Windows 8.1 Professional // EAC | foobar2000 // FLAC Compression Level 8

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 jul 2008, 19:16
    Second that. The problem with the previous implementation was of course that it recommended way too many stupid meme-like quizzes. I'm not sure how to eliminate that, but the whole journal seems irrelevant now that the posts are almost impossible to find (unless they're submitted to suitable groups, but then again, it is hard enough to find the groups one would possibly like to belong to).

• I did enjoy most of the journals. I did have a problem with people abusing the journals by creating journals about pointless irrelevant things which would usually result in bitching. What I did like about it was finding about all sorts of different music and getting to know people. For the most part id like it back only if they were moderated more closely and removing stupid things that aren't a contribution.

• Somewhat OT but I wonder whether the number of meme journals has decreased since Recommended Reading got shut down.

• m0rph3us sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jul 2008, 19:00
    Bring back recommended reading. Those meme journas could be a bit annoying but were easy enough to filter out.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 20 jul 2008, 19:30
    it's already coming back.

redundant thread.

• Babs_05 said:
    it's already coming back.

redundant thread.
    Really? Because I looked at the official "Bring Back" thread here and it doesn't mention it at all. Where did they specifically say it was coming back?

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 20 jul 2008, 20:49
    I remember it saying so when it disappeared but we still had the tab. In our Dashboards.

Didn't it?

• I hope they do come back! It was a wonderful tool for me to troll.

• _agatka_ sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jul 2008, 21:13
    Yes, that was one of the coolest features of Last.fm.. most of stupid quizzes could be easily spotted by the title, so I don't think it was such a HUGE problem. It's now pretty impossible to find an interesting journal, and now I even don't know when my friends write something new.

Bring it back!

• Well.... maybe they said it was coming back, but so far I haven't read anywhere that this new version is going to include it, and besides they're more concerned now fixing bugs and trying to correct other urgent matters, that's why we need to let them know that this is a feature that needs to come back so the don't forget.

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
    ― Oscar Wilde
  • I can deal with those dumb meme things, because they're pretty easy to spot unless its a brand-new one. I just hope that this feature comes back because looking at charts and streaming music takes like 2 seconds and as LJ said, I love discussing things I enjoy and music is most definitely one of them.

Winner's write the history books while Losers bury the dead.
  • Babs_05 said:
    I remember it saying so when it disappeared but we still had the tab. In our Dashboards.

Didn't it?
    Yeah, the old version of the site said that it would be coming back soon, if you'd read my original post you'd have seen where I mentioned that.

The problem is that there is no mention of the feature in any of the official information releases made since. Therefore I started this thread to remind the dev team that there are many productive users (as opposed to trolls) who enjoyed and miss it.

• Användare
    • 21 jul 2008, 06:54
    _agatka_ said:
    It's now pretty impossible to find an interesting journal, and now I even don't know when my friends write something new.
    You could of course subscribe to their journals via RSS. (I think we have to file another feature request for having a "Friends' Journals" feed so that you don't have to subscribe each one individually.)

• eetuh said:
    _agatka_ said:
    It's now pretty impossible to find an interesting journal, and now I even don't know when my friends write something new.
    You could of course subscribe to their journals via RSS. (I think we have to file another feature request for having a "Friends' Journals" feed so that you don't have to subscribe each one individually.)
    Yeah, but I met a lot of my friends via the journals they wrote/commented on. In other words, there's no subsitute for a tool that allows you to find other interesting users in the first place via what they like to discuss. That was Recommended Reading. Even being able to subscribe to your friends' journals collectively will not suffice.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 21 jul 2008, 13:24
    They'd never not include it. It's an essential feature. Before Dashboards, they used to appear on our Profile pages. Miss that... :)

• some groups's journals are worth subscribing to via rss. but yes, recmmended reading should be brought back

Like Minimal Techno? ---> You'll love High on Electronic Music
    Have diverse and non-mainstream taste in music? ---> See if you qualify for The 1 Percenters group....
  • Journals & Rec. Reading are the only reason I'm interested in last.fm.
    the rest is clutter.

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana
    Big City
  • LANjackal said:
    Babs_05 said:

Didn't it?
    Yeah, the old version of the site said that it would be coming back soon, if you'd read my original post you'd have seen where I mentioned that.

The problem is that there is no mention of the feature in any of the official information releases made since. Therefore I started this thread to remind the dev team that there are many productive users (as opposed to trolls) who enjoyed and miss it.

What exactly is non-productive about trolling? >:(

• Användare
    • 21 jul 2008, 20:49
    Agreed w/ above.

One of my favorite ways to find unique and interesting users.... Would love to see it return.

The current journal feature is much less friendly to easily finding new thoughts and opinions....

• Babs_05 said:
    They'd never not include it. It's an essential feature.
    I certainly hope they see it as such. I'm just hoping it doesn't get put waaaaaay back on the priority list so that it takes forever to return.

• I'm hoping it returns this week. All this hype of being revamped and what not has me anticipating its return even more now that the beta is live.

Winner's write the history books while Losers bury the dead.
    • gwalla sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 jul 2008, 06:50
    When the Recommended Reading page was taken down, it was replaced with a message saying that the new site was going to replace it with an improved version. However, the new site doesn't have anything like it at all. I like the basic concept of Last.FM, but they have developed a very bad habit of saying things that aren't fully true, and then having to backpedal later (see: every announcement they've made of bringing a neat new feature to everybody, yet neglecting to mention that "everybody" means "the U.S. and U.K., but we'll get around to you other people eventually").

• gwalla sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 jul 2008, 07:27

• gwalla said:
    but they have developed a very bad habit of saying things that aren't fully true, and then having to backpedal later
    +1

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.