Forum » Feedback and Ideas

User Tag Cloud

• anjrew sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 jan 2007, 16:02

User Tag Cloud

How about users having a tag cloud on their profile compiled from the tags of their artists?

(Obviously, their most listened to artists would have the largest size for their tags, and if two artists have the same tag, the tag on the user page would become larger.)

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 jan 2007, 02:34

TEST

Greetings all ;-)

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 jan 2007, 04:15
    try this software --> http://www.last.fm/user/C26000/journal/2006/07/30/195693/

I made your overall and last week tag cloud with it :)

Last week:

Overall:

• I don't think this is needed

Take my hand in the old "Theatre of Seven Hells"
    • aliekens sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 apr 2007, 22:48

User tag clouds would greatly increase the readability of a user's profile!

When I'm visiting someone's profile, I often wonder about the musical genres that are scrobbled by the user. If the artists don't ring a bell, I have no idea to what genre the user is listening to, although this is exactly what Last.fm wants to reflect on the user's profile page.

A user tag cloud or musical tag cloud describing a user's preferences provides a very descriptive profile of the user. Just compare my profile page (aliekens) with the following tag cloud:

Obviously, such a depiction of a user's profile demands computer time, and a user profile page is already an object that heavily consumes database resources. But displaying a user tag cloud is not computationally expensive, and can easily be cached, like, once a week, as it doesn't change much over a week. For each user and its top artists, one has to put together the artists' top tags and display them like any other tag cloud. As in the above example, displaying (around) 10 tags would be sufficient, and is consequently not space consuming.

I have studied such musical tag clouds in more detail here and did some preliminary data mining on them here. The results (everything is illustrated with tag clouds) are very descriptive of Last.fm's users and their preferred genres!

So to all the Last.fm developers out there, user tag clouds would be great on user profiles! Please take this request in consideration!

• eppjones sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 apr 2007, 22:54
    I agree, this is definatly something I would like to see in user profiles.

• juggala sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 apr 2007, 14:25
    me too

• From a non-technical point I totally support this idea! I think it would be a major addition to the user profile and Last.fm in general! I have no idea though how much extra server capacity this would require, but even if it'd only be a monthly update or something it would be great!

• katsumii sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 apr 2007, 20:17
    Agreed with MightyJay! ^

- Kat
    • aliekens sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 apr 2007, 21:10

Generate your own tag cloud

This web script allows you to generate your own tag cloud, and include it as BBCode. Here's mine:

alternative ambient dance electronic electronica rock techno trance

(katsumii's tag cloud is huge!)

• Very cool! I'm going to use that immediately!!

• Not a bad idea :)

• katsumii sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 apr 2007, 02:37
    aliekens said:
    (katsumii's tag cloud is huge!)

...What can I say? I love music. =)

It is very cool, by the way. Amazing idea, and nice work on the script.

- Kat
  • yes this is a cool idea

here's my cloud

Like Minimal Techno? ---> You'll love High on Electronic Music
    Have diverse and non-mainstream taste in music? ---> See if you qualify for The 1 Percenters group....
  • Please post your cloud in this thread and keep this thread clean for the suggestion to include it in Last.fm as a standard feature

• Themeros sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 apr 2007, 15:41

Great idea!

This is such a great idea... As someone else mentioned above, going into someone's profile and seeing the tag cloud is so much easier to tell the person's music profile...

I luv this idea!

• Anne13 sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 apr 2007, 15:25
    GeographyI said:
    I don't think this is needed

I don't think Last.fm is needed at all! It's just for fun... And you don't need to use it.

As you can see; I love the idea :).

• JayPag sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 maj 2007, 19:54

my clouds..

• Excellent idea, although I wouldn't use it since I'm such a stuck-up elitist about my tags. And about everything else.

• mannis05 sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 maj 2007, 23:07
    i agree, i think the clouds look amazingly good, and it tells more about the user profile in terms of musical taste than being based on few artists only (haven't you felt that the music-o-meter sometimes are wrong?)

• C26000 sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 maj 2007, 01:26
    I think that a taste-o-meter and neigbours system based in the tag cloud would be pretty useful as well, excellent for finding new bands.

• mordeo sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 maj 2007, 11:34
    This is really a wonderful idea, very useful in getting a first idea of a fellow user's musical taste, especially if one doesn't know a high number of favourite artists. Also aesthetically pleasing, in my opinion.

• xslf sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2007, 11:33
    aliekens said:
    When I'm visiting someone's profile, I often wonder about the musical genres that are scrobbled by the user. If the artists don't ring a bell, I have no idea to what genre the user is listening to, although this is exactly what Last.fm wants to reflect on the user's profile page.

And that of course assumes that the tags are genre tags...
    Or are you assigning genres based on info other than the actual tags? In that case you can run into user not being happy with the genre assignments (since multiple people can classify things differently)

• aliekens sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2007, 12:15
    I am not influencing the generation of tag clouds and inclusion of genres manually, all of the results are based on the data I request from audioscrobbler's web services. The weight of a tag in the tag cloud is (literally) linearly related to the play count of top artists, and the number of times the tag has been used for the top artists. There is no influence from assigning genres manually in any way.

There is no signal/noise canceling mechanism, except for averaging a lot of tags (labeled by all of Last.fm's users). And as a result, it seems that musical genres (rock, pop, dance, electronic, jazz, hip-hop ...) are the "signals" which end up in the tag clouds. At some points, "non-genre noise" indeed pops up in the tag clouds (there's e.g. a lot of "seen live" tags, which isn't really about a genre), but those cases are rare.

So your criticism is indeed right, I assume the whole population of last.fm users to use genres to label artists with the tagging system. However, this assumption seems to be correct.

• I like the idea of tag clouds, too. It could be included on the page optionally, e.g. in the settings. And you could make it editable, too, so that if a user wouldn't want to have one particular tag on his/her profile - e.g. "seen live", he/she could erase it (kinda like a Tag Cloud Black List *g*)

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.