Forum » Feedback and Ideas

What the hell happened to all the shoutboxes?

• -Trail- said:
    How about you do away with shoutboxes altogether...

Replacing shoutboxes with something better is an option, of course, and we're not ruling that out. But this isn't anywhere near the top of our priority list, we have a bunch of other things to fix first.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 25 maj 2012, 23:30
    -Trail- said:
    How about you do away with shoutboxes altogether? This would probably speed up the page load times even more? In their place however you could introduce a discussion page about the artist with a similar structure to the way the forums work on here, and link to it on the main artist page? This would make conversation on different topics much more structured and would probably remove those "insert inane comment here [34]" style posts as well?
    That's what groups do. You can connect artists to them, which creates the link. There's a discussion page where you can create threads, and there's also a shoutbox for faster chats. What's more, you can write journals and submit them to groups, and there's opportunity for discussion there too.

I'd love to see groups become more active again.

• Oh guys, you have no idea of the shit storm getting rid of shoutboxes would cause, lol. Please don't do that! Us less than 10% would be so bummed out! =(

• Take away my shoutboxes all together and I'm going to be pissed. And this shorter shoutboxes still take the same time to load for me so I don't see the point. Besides people can't see the discussion, I just shouted my heart out and because it's so short nobody saw it. I feel all the recent changes made to the site since the switch over has been disappointing... Hell the app isn't free anymore which means people will just go to pandora for their phones. I love this site so much and I dunno I fear it's not going to last much longer. Please start thinking about the users again and not on numbers. I'm a long time user and god I just don't see what was worth all these changes.

To push to make the site more social again... Could there be a much broader way of talking to your friends? Kinda like twitter? Right now friending people seems pointless and I feel like its the weakest part of the site. I have like 200 friends on here and it would be nice to connect better with them.

If you keep taking away things, your users will walk away to your competitors.

I don't know if you value my opinion, but when I joined way back when, I joined to discuss music. Whenever a change is made and people are flat out unhappy - I always see you guys say that you care. Seriously all the time, but I really don't think the new people running the site cares at all. I would like to see you guys wow us users and give us something fun and exciting. It's so lame to have things taken away. Your numbers will be better if you give more. And if we are going to be all numbers about it, apparently this site peaked at 2009 and ever since it has dropped.

Come on Last.fm give us new features and be better connected!!! :(

• MATI9630 sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 maj 2012, 15:44
    Alright, I might believe you that most of people don't read shoutboxes in artist pages.

But what about events? Oh, come on, shoutboxes are __ESSENTIAL__ part of event pages and don't you dare telling me otherwise.

/\ true /\
  • Or just don't fix what ain't broke, lol.

• Personally, (like many people here) I find cutting the shoutboxes in half to be quite annoying. It would be really bad if people stopped to post or something, and the discussions that happen in there are fun to read. To give the users the option to choose how many shouts they want to have in the pages, in the settings, would be great.

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 maj 2012, 02:02
    JustAKayee said:
    Or just don't fix what ain't broke, lol.

first of all, utterly stupid sentiment.
    secondly, it sounds like it was "broke".

90% of the stuff I see on shoutboxes is "c/p comment [number]"

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
  • dankine said:
    90% of the stuff I see on shoutboxes is "c/p comment [number]"
    But cutting them in half isn't going to change that. If anything, it's going to make it worse, since people aren't going to notice any interesting, though slightly older, comment which might make them start an actual meaningful conversation, but they'll notice a chain of "lol dis band sux [537]", and just add to it.

If shoutboxes aren't your thing, and I can very well understand why they wouldn't be, seeing how few actually have any meaningful discussion in them, the obvious solution is to not look at them, or interact with them. But for the rest of us who are lucky enough to know of artists with decent shoutboxes (and there are some, believe it or not), cutting the shoutbox can only be viewed as a negative. I understand the need to speed up loading times, but surely there are other ways to do it, aside from lowering the social aspect of the site.

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 maj 2012, 03:18
    You can still click on the link and see all the shouts. Not having as many load on the initial page has absolutely no effect on your ability to converse through them. Which appears to be, by far, the main concern.

Auto Corrections Group
  • dankine said:
    Not having as many load on the initial page has absolutely no effect on your ability to converse through them.

Wrong. I'm a pretty frequent user of artist shoutboxes, and this has all but killed my motivation to leave any shouts lately. Sure, all the shouts are still there, but cutting off every shout after the eighth most recent one and requiring an extra step to see the amount I'm used to seeing makes the experience feel quite blunted. Having to click around more to do what I was able to before is not intuitive, and, obviously, decreases my willingness to want to do it. Many that I know who also use the shoutboxes agree. A good website feature works well for you, it does not make you do more work to use it the way you wish for it to be used.

I don't care if the shoutboxes aren't your thing, but it's silly to say that changing them doesn't affect the way people communicate with them. It has for myself and a vocal (much less those of us not part of the conversation) group of others.

With this said, I'll add my support to the idea of allowing users to choose the amount of shouts we'd like to see. I understand that this would be quite a bit of work and would add to the complexity of site, but I believe this is the best compromise. I don't much like the idea of an ajax scrolling comment box, because I think having the shouts cut off and be paged at a certain point is good. As I said earlier, I'm not interested in seeing a lot of very old and irrelevant shouts, but eight feels quite stifling to conversation. In the meantime, I think that something in the range of 12 to 16 shouts is a good compromise. It's less than we had before, but I don't think I'd have as much room to complain.

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 maj 2012, 04:11
    Not wrong, you can still read it all and follow/take part in conversations if you want to. Your motivation has nothing to do with it. It is still very much possible, easy even.

I didn't say it doesn't affect the way they are used, as evidenced by me saying use them in a different way. What's silly is making up points to refute.

Auto Corrections Group
  • Sure. I certainly can still have a conversation, but not the way I'd rather be doing it. That is ultimately the important talking point here, not the semantic interpretation of what you mean by this change having some "effect on your ability to converse through them."

If I misunderstood whatever point you're trying to make, that's fine. Don't accuse me of "making up points to refute" though, because I am certainly not. I still mean everything I said.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 maj 2012, 07:30
    Ultimately there's no point in voicing any concerns about changes to this site, because they won't listen.

• cjkisaragi said:
    Ultimately there's no point in voicing any concerns about changes to this site, because they won't listen.

True story

• -Trail- sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 maj 2012, 18:44
    cjkisaragi said:

Everybody go home, this guy just summed up the entire thread.

• Yep.

• Off we all go then...

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 maj 2012, 19:32
    menyauthe said:
    If I misunderstood whatever point you're trying to make, that's fine. Don't accuse me of "making up points to refute" though, because I am certainly not. I still mean everything I said.

You most certainly did make it up though, as I never said what you inferred I did.

Also, your motivation is utterly different to your ability to converse through them. Which is what I said was unchanged, which is it.

Auto Corrections Group
  • Fine, whatever. You can have your victory, if that's all you care about.

Cheers, mate. I'll be going now too.

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 maj 2012, 04:26
    :'(

cared about having a discussion, which you completely misrepresented.

Auto Corrections Group
  • This is bullshit. Last.fm used to be a culture unto itself and this was born out of communication between users on the artist shoutboxes. I've gotten to know several users quite well, particularly in the Boris and Lil B shoutboxes. By cutting them in half, the site is effectively hampering the ease at which users can communicate between one another. An artist page is the closest thing to a central meeting point on the site. But yeah I know that they won't listen.

Every single poorly implemented new feature seems to have been driven by monetary gains with the focus pulled away from site functionality. It's starting to feel less and less like a social experience and more and more like aimless data-harvesting.

• dankine said:
    You can still click on the link and see all the shouts. Not having as many load on the initial page has absolutely no effect on your ability to converse through them. Which appears to be, by far, the main concern.
    Of course, I can, but that doesn't mean anyone else will. That's the whole issue. The stupidity everyone complains about in shoutboxes will only be increased by this.

• Smirnon sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 maj 2012, 14:25
    so yeah, i second all sentiments that are voiced against this change. this is one hell of a shit move. and what's the reason? the pages load faster now? well i sure do not notice anything like that! or is it that split second gain that no one but real geeks notice and care about.

seriously thinking about stopping my subscription. i'm not sending you guys money while you make this site less enjoyable to use.

anime avatar users fuck off
  • How about this

How about you guys make it so that we can change how many shouts are shown ourselves. Like somewhere in account settings. Because those with stone age computers/internet would like less shouts, and those with better can change it to more.

8 shouts is WAY too little. Nothing of interest will form in the shoutboxes if it stays like this.

And taking away shoutboxes is just borderline retarded.

PS: I've been using my iPhone's net for some time now. And I've never experienced that the loading times are THAT slow, even with 20 shouts...

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.