Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Music Neighbours

• Music Neighbours

When I press "My neighbous" I see the same people.. every time.. It's boring)))

I suggest to add a special button "Reset" or "View others"... Because there are more than 50 people with the same tastes, I think =)

Thanks for your attention.

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 maj 2012, 10:45
    complaining because your neighbours are good matches and as such don't change much.

nice one :/

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
  • No, I'm not complaining) This is only the suggestion..

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 maj 2012, 11:00
    so you want it to find worse neighbours? purely so you can see "new" people

Auto Corrections Group
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 maj 2012, 07:41

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 10 maj 2012, 01:26
    • dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 maj 2012, 11:56
    but they're the best...

Auto Corrections Group
    • Användare
    • 9 maj 2012, 16:49

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 10 maj 2012, 01:27
    • dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 maj 2012, 16:54
    Gothic_Autumn said:
    you call this best? http://www.last.fm/user/Alucard42
    Only 642 plays and last seen August 2011.

one of the closest matches yes, otherwise it wouldn't be there...
    helps to think what you're saying from time to time.

Auto Corrections Group
    • Användare
    • 9 maj 2012, 16:57

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 maj 2012, 17:01
    so you just agreed with me. nice.

Auto Corrections Group
    • Användare
    • 9 maj 2012, 17:08

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 maj 2012, 17:15
    I never mentioned quantity. Replying "no shit" to something means you think it is incredibly apparent that is the truth.

Why would you want to see every last person who has somewhat similar taste?

Auto Corrections Group
    • headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 maj 2012, 18:23

Nudge for more Music Neighbours

Big_fuckin_gun said:
    I suggest to add a special button "Reset" or "View others"... Because there are more than 50 people with the same tastes, I think =).
    Yes, I get the impression it latches on to half a dozen artists & then looks for two pages worth of neighbours with that limited taste.
    http://www.last.fm/user/headey/neighbours?page=2
    At the moment it seems to think I only have neighbours listening to classical artists but I think my tastes are more varied than that.
    http://www.last.fm/user/headey/charts?rangetype=1month&subtype=artists

It would be nice to give it a nudge and send it looking for some more interesting links.

At the moment I think I find more interesting & active users by looking on the artist pages.

This Playground feature might give a bit more but I've not tried it.
    http://playground.last.fm/demo/neighbourhood?timespan=30&user=

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
  • Re: Nudge for more Music Neighbours

headey said:
    Big_fuckin_gun said:
    I suggest to add a special button "Reset" or "View others"... Because there are more than 50 people with the same tastes, I think =).
    Yes, I get the impression it latches on to half a dozen artists & then looks for two pages worth of neighbours with that limited taste.
    http://www.last.fm/user/headey/neighbours?page=2
    At the moment it seems to think I only have neighbours listening to classical artists but I think my tastes are more varied than that.
    http://www.last.fm/user/headey/charts?rangetype=1month&subtype=artists

It would be nice to give it a nudge and send it looking for some more interesting links.

At the moment I think I find more interesting & active users by looking on the artist pages.

This Playground feature might give a bit more but I've not tried it.
    http://playground.last.fm/demo/neighbourhood?timespan=30&user=

Agreed.

The other problem is that a large amount of neighbours simply forgot theirs pages and had the last listening and last visit many years ago..

I think that pages must be "lower in search results".

• Jahoeman sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 aug 2012, 22:16

Neighbours

Hi, I just joined.
    At first I had terrific neighbours, when I just listed some artists I really like nowadays. After loading my music collection into your database, I lost them and am finding myself with non-relevant neighbours (who do like some general stuff I like as well, but don't share the stuff I'm looking for). How can I reset my neighbours, or "unload" my ITunes library?

I realise that some other people like Bruce Springsteen, U2, Tom Waits, Kings Of Leon and Coldplay, but I am FAR more interested in the ones that adore ALT-J, Twin Shadow, Father John Misty, Beach House, Daniel Rossen, ...

• Jahoeman sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 aug 2012, 09:55

Action

Now I resetted my listenings - and I 'm becoming interesting recommendations, but am still stuck with the same neighbours. I was hoping this list would be updated as well, but it doens't.

@ Last.fm : do you have a solution?

• I want to second just about every post in this thread! My neighbors are all inactive, and that is the biggest problem. Perhaps a sorting feature would be nice - and the ability to sort by "last active" so we can actually make friends with some of these nice compatible folks.

And Jahoeman, I agree wholeheartedly. All of my neighbors feature the same four or so bands - the most popular bands I have played recently and in quantity. The system is awesome in some ways but falls short in others. I do like that it seems to consider how recently I listened to those bands and how often I listened to them, but like you, I would love to find neighbors who also like the other bands/genres I like, not just the bands/genres I listen to most often.

My parallel to Jahoeman's examples: I only see recommendations for Tool and Primus fans (etc.) but there are plenty of people who listen to those artists. I'd much rather, at this point, find recommendations from people who listen to Jim Kweskin and Mississippi Fred McDowell - completely different genres of music from Tool and Primus.

The two "gripes" I posted here are my biggest complaints about Last.fm - pretty small complaints, but I'd definitely get better use out of the site if it were more social and I think the two gripes above are very much related to the social aspect of the site.

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 aug 2012, 14:15
    My neighbours DO seem more varied today.
    @Jahoeman -I've a feeling they only reset every week or two?? :((

When artist & track pages had a 'Recent Activity' I used to find that better than 'Neighbours' for finding interesting libraries.
    Top Listeners & Groups can be good now though.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.