Forum » Feedback and Ideas

January 11th site update

• January 11th site update

Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

We're kicking 2012 off with a bundle of new features. No hoverboards yet, but we've got high hopes for 2013. In the meantime, let's see what's new:

Best of 2011. Once again we stuck a knife between our teeth, pulled our fedora firmly onto our head, & adventured through the scrobbles to discover what Last.fm users listened to most in 2011. Check out the overall chart and the best newcomers! Marvel at the tag and location filters! Coo at the infographics! Download the data and make your own mashups!

Delveable charts. When you visit someone's profile for the first time you're trying to figure out their musical taste. You get an idea from their recent tracks, their library, & top artist/track charts but it can still be hard to grasp. What are those 113 plays of Ben Folds? A one-off crawl through his discography? One play of a giant best-of compilation? One album – or even one track – on repeat? There's no way to tell. Until now! Now, clicking the chart bar jumps into the user's library to show you. It works for the library overview and your personal charts too – Check it out now on your own profile page.

Find out what your friends listen to. Now you can see your friends' playcounts on artist pages, with a chart of who listens most. This is fun when browsing some awesome bands, but really comes into its own when indulging in guilty pleasures. You can also click through to a new section that'll show you the complete list – and of course you can delve into these charts too.

Nicer URLs for our API documentation. If you're a programmer, chances are you've found our API – and seen our ugly URLs. last.fm/api/show?service=270? What's that going to mean when you see it in your browser history? Well, avert thine eyes no longer and gaze lustily upon our new, meaningful URLs: last.fm/api/show/geo.getEvents. Easier to remember, more meaningful, more beautiful.

Bugfix bonanza. We've fixed a coleopterist's-worth of bugs in this release, including improvements to Last.fm Discover and the Music Manager.

Bonus blog post! If you're a Deezer user, make sure you're scrobbling it. Remember: if it doesn't scrobble, it doesn't count.

Bonus tech demo: explore your library. Sometimes we like to put together tech demos to try out ideas and check whether our systems work OK. These can break or disappear at any time – but they can also be fun to play with. With that in mind: go explore your library. See your listening habits over time, find out what you heard last year or on Halloween. And let us know what you think.

That's it for now, but we'll be back soon with more neat stuff.

— Team Last.fm.

• vs271 sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jan 2012, 16:19
    "• Find out what your friends listen to"

LOVE THIS! Thanks.

So much great stuff. Nice Update!

• fi0let sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jan 2012, 16:24
    if i don't care what my friends are listening to, how can i turn it off?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jan 2012, 16:34
    How did YL top the 'Discoveries' list with just over 1m scrobbles while The Weeknd didn't even get a mention and they had over 6m scrobbles?

• The Weeknd was first scrobbled in 2010, so it's not eligible for the discoveries list. They're number 70 in the overall list, as you can see from the artist page.

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 11 jan 2012, 16:53
    great update :)

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • Love the "explore your library" feature. Finally something new... And useful in any way.

• OMG, i'm "delving" and "exploring" ... it's like christmas again. great update!

this "user-artist-track-from-to" filter:

http://www.last.fm/user/HodgeStar/library/music/The+Upsetters/_/Ring+Of+Fire?from=1293840000&to=1325376000

is there an equivalent API call now too?

• HodgeStar said:
    this "user-artist-track-from-to" filter: is there an equivalent API call now too?

Not at the moment, but that would be a reasonable addition to the library.getFoo methods.

• Re: January 11th site update

acreature said:
    Bonus blog post! If you're a Deezer user, make sure you're scrobbling it. Remember: if it doesn't scrobble, it doesn't count.
    Nice, seems to work with my free Deezer account, although my Recently Listened Tracks still say I would listen to my Mix radio which I did before with the client and then stopped it to test the Deezer scrobbling. Maybe it will sort out after a few minutes, but I also had to close the client, because otherwise the list would still show me the last song I heard with the client on top.

Now some Myspace scrobbling, please. ;-) Although it seems that Deezer has the Warner Music Group content, too. Already scrobbled two AC/DC songs in half an hour with their Similar Artists Radio, not bad.

Redigerad av hjbardenhagen den 11 jan 2012, 18:30
  • Friends' playcounts on artist pages is a brilliant idea. Completely loving the other updates as well!

• Wilwa sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jan 2012, 18:06
    Nice, thanks!

• Amazing update, especially the Delveable charts and Find out what your friends listen to !
    We're waiting for an official Facebook app now ! ;)

• I just want to say that I LOVE the feature with friends' plays on artist page. Thank you guys so much, I've been waiting for this for ages.

And it's even cooler that it appears to not to take account reset(s) into consideration, and that way I can also see my own stats how it would be like without resetting.

• Alainn sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jan 2012, 18:59

Re: Re: January 11th site update

hjbardenhagen said:
    Now some Myspace scrobbling, please. ;-)
    Firefox Greasemonkey-script to the rescue.

New: Obscure Music Blogs a collection of music blogs with rare/obscure music from all genres
  • acreature said:
    HodgeStar said:
    this "user-artist-track-from-to" filter: is there an equivalent API call now too?

Not at the moment, but that would be a reasonable addition to the library.getFoo methods.
    Yes, and very useful. Adding artist and track params to user.getRecentTracks or just a track param to the user.getArtistTracks method which Jonty made available last year with the best of 2010 would work too. Thank you!

• Thanks for the new features.

I take it the translations will be completed / corrected at some point? e.g.
    from http://lastfm.ru/user/Iskra42463/library/explore

For 1.6 years, from суббота 19 Июнь 2010 to среда 11 Январь 2012.
    42 608 tracks played in total.

Ouch. :)

• Re: Re: Re: January 11th site update

Alainn said:
    hjbardenhagen said:
    Thanks for the hint, does it also work with Opera or Chrome?

Anyhow, that Deezer scrobbling works great, it seems. Does anyone know at which bitrate the free account streams work (premium with 320 kbps), as it sounds very good so far? Here's some interesting press info about their latest news, e.g. going worldwide now:

http://cdn-files.deezer.com/pdf/press/PR_Deezer_International_launch_7_12_11.pdf

Four years after having invented music streaming and following its successes in France, Belgium and the United Kingdom, Deezer will roll out in a number of new territories every week starting 8th December, 2011 to reach 200 countries by June 2012:
    -­‐ December 8th, 2011: Ireland, The Netherlands
    -­‐ By December 31st, 2011: Greater Europe: 45 countries including Spain (Dec. 13th), Italy (Dec. 14th), Germany (Dec. 15th) & Russia (Dec.19th)
    -­‐ By January 31st, 2012: Canada and Latin America (38 countries)
    -­‐ By February 28th, 2012: Australasia and Africa (41 countries)
    -­‐ By June 30th, 2012 : Rest of the world (81 countries)
    -­‐ Deezer strongly believes in the globalisation of music and has chosen not to focus on the USA and Japan, which only represent 25% of global music consumption, due to market saturation and low growth forecasts.
    Ah, these French... ;-)

Redigerad av hjbardenhagen den 11 jan 2012, 20:42
    • Roblarr sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jan 2012, 20:39
    I love all the new updates, they're awesome but I find that a lot of the playcounts on the 'Who listens most' are wrong. On Taylor Swift's page, for example, it says I've listened 844 times when I've actually listened 6,935, so am I missing something?

• Alainn sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jan 2012, 20:56

Re: Re: Re: Re: January 11th site update

hjbardenhagen said:
    Alainn said:
    hjbardenhagen said:
    Thanks for the hint, does it also work with Opera or Chrome?
    Sadly not directly but you could try Tampermonkey to try that specific script. But there are some extensions for scrobbling from Myspace for Chrome like Chrome Scrobbler (also does Youtube) but I haven't tested either so I can't say for sure that they work.

Safari plugins that scrobble are even more of an exotic thing to me (win/nix-user here) but I've heared great things about Scroblr.fm: they don't scrobble from Myspace but do support Pandora, Grooveshark, Google Music Beta, Amazon Cloud Player, Turntable.fm, Bandcamp and Jango. You could ask the developer to extend it to Myspace (he posts on the Development forum here).

Anyhow, that Deezer scrobbling works great, it seems. Does anyone know at which bitrate the free account streams work (premium with 320 kbps), as it sounds very good so far? Here's some interesting press info about their latest news, e.g. going worldwide now:

http://cdn-files.deezer.com/pdf/press/PR_Deezer_International_launch_7_12_11.pdf
    A Google search gave me a comment made 4 years ago: "The bitrate varies from ~64kbps to 256kbps vbr (maybe even higher)." but that might have changed.

New: Obscure Music Blogs a collection of music blogs with rare/obscure music from all genres
    • Echon sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 11 jan 2012, 21:02
    I like Delvable Charts and Explore Your Library. The total tracks played in the latter is a few hundred tracks short but I guess it is still in development. :)

• Very nice new features, thank you to the staff for rolling these out.

One question though, why are the playcounts so off on the new how many times your friends have played an artist section?

• Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 11 jan 2012, 22:16
    'Who Listens Most' is great. I had been using the GreaseMonkey script that shows which friends listened, but it checks each individual friend's library, so it's not very efficient.

Exploring your library would be better if it showed top artists/tracks charts. So when you click into a particular year, you can see your top artists for that year. Similar to the last 3/6 months charts, but for any timeframe - year, month, day.

Roblarr said:
    I love all the new updates, they're awesome but I find that a lot of the playcounts on the 'Who listens most' are wrong. On Taylor Swift's page, for example, it says I've listened 844 times when I've actually listened 6,935, so am I missing something?
    I haven't seen any gaps that huge, but most of the numbers are slightly off for me. Some are higher. It shows me 3665 for Metallica instead of 3628, so I think it's counting plays I've deleted.

• FofR sa...
    • Alumni
    • 11 jan 2012, 22:41
    Roblarr, that's a strange bug. We'll look into it.

• "Find out what your friends listen to"

+1 love it :-)

I can't be held responsable for whatever i say
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.