Forum » Feedback and Ideas

September 15th site update

• September 15th site update

Hello!

Earlier today we released a new version of Last.fm. Here's what's new!

Better spam prevention. We've rolled out some new features to help reduce the amount of spam that gets sent. Much like the British Government we don't like to talk about our nuclear deterrent, but you can sleep safe in the knowledge that we're doing all we can to keep spammers at bay.

More details in friend finder emails. We're now sending more info about your friend in our emails from the friend finder. So if your friend finds you from Facebook, you'll see their Facebook name in the email we send. That way, you don't have to guess who they are from their Last.fm username alone!

Easier-to-use web services. Nerd alert: this one's really aimed at programmers working with our API. We've implemented CORS, which means you can directly call our web services from your Javascript without worrying about the browser's same-origin policy. You can find out more over in our developer forum. And if you're a user, and wonder why you should care? Check out all the cool apps made by the community on Build.

A bunch of bugfixes including an ensemble of IE9 inconveniences, such as display errors with charts & the search box.

Bonus blog post: learn how key changes have been tugging on your heartstrings over the years.

In other news, the super-observant noticed that a release slipped out a couple of weeks ago without a forum post to go with it. Sorry! In the spirit of "Better late than never," here's some short details about what changed:

A new home for your recommended events. These now live on the Events page, which has also received some design love.

A better play button. Bigger's not always better, but now you can see what the station will play before you start playing. Bigger and more informative. Every boy's dream. Check it out on an artist page.

That's it for now, but we'll be back soon with more cool stuff. :)

• rfruth11 sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 sep 2011, 19:41
    good work, tnx !

• Wilwa sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 sep 2011, 19:56
    Thanks!

• rwitte sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 15 sep 2011, 23:22
    Thanks

• Re: September 15th site update

acreature said:
    Easier-to-use web services. Nerd alert: this one's really aimed at programmers working with our API. We've implemented CORS
    Yeah!!! finally, thank you! ...i'll report back to simfy...

A better play button. Bigger's not always better, but now you can see what the station will play before you start playing. Bigger and more informative. Every boy's dream. Check it out on an artist page.On the german version of the site the play button on the user profil page is still not big enough. the word "Musiksammlung" vanishes due to a line break. so you can only guess what the station will play before you start playing.

thanks!

• Re: Re: September 15th site update

HodgeStar said:
    On the german version of the site the play button on the user profil page is still not big enough. the word "Musiksammlung" vanishes due to a line break. so you can only guess what the station will play before you start playing.

thanks!
    Looks as if this happening in most other languages, too... it's not just German and its long words ;) Will get someone to take a look at this. Danke!

acreature said:

A better play button. Bigger's not always better, but now you can see what the station will play before you start playing. Bigger and more informative. Every boy's dream. Check it out on an artist page.
    Long overdue :)

• Cheese and crackers... Now all we need is the chives to sprinkle on top =)

• Make this a sticky!

:)

• Just wanted to say that I'm glad the website has been more stable over the last month and a half, I'm back to listening via Opera browser instead of the client :-)

I can't be held responsable for whatever i say
  • Oops, forgot to mention this: not sure if it's related to the update but I got the feeling it started around that time:

When I look at my Neighbours than the last one (user/neighbour) at the end of page one is also the first on the 2nd page. It seems to be LFM cos I also get it using latest versions of Opera 12, Palemoon 6 and IE8 (on XP SP3).

• rwitte sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 19 sep 2011, 12:41
    Candyheart33 said:
    Make this a sticky!

:)

Better yet, create an 'index to updates' thread' that is sticky and locked, and then link to the individual 'month day update' threads from there.

• ^Not a bad idea, although we were thinking about just creating a new forum section for these.

Is it Christmas yet?
    http://www.last.fm/christmas

acreature said:

Easier-to-use web services. Nerd alert: this one's really aimed at programmers working with our API. We've implemented CORS, which means you can directly call our web services from your Javascript without worrying about the browser's same-origin policy. You can find out more over in our developer forum. And if you're a user, and wonder why you should care? Check out all the cool apps made by the community on Build.

I would have loved to see easier authentication methods because I can't get my head around REST.

But hey, nice update overall.

• Re: Re: September 15th site update

NightVermillion said:
    I would have loved to see easier authentication methods because I can't get my head around REST.

REST isn't an authentication method; do you mean oAuth?

On the topic of stickification, it seems counterintuitive but often stickying a thread makes it easier to gloss over. So there's a risk more people would miss it – the opposite of the intent. As Maddieman says, we're considering a variety of ways to make updates more apparent; more news as we have it.

• Re: Re: Re: September 15th site update

acreature said:
    NightVermillion said:

REST isn't an authentication method; do you mean oAuth?

Whoopsie, yes.

• E-Clect-Eddy said:
    Oops, forgot to mention this: not sure if it's related to the update but I got the feeling it started around that time:

When I look at my Neighbours than the last one (user/neighbour) at the end of page one is also the first on the 2nd page. It seems to be LFM cos I also get it using latest versions of Opera 12, Palemoon 6 and IE8 (on XP SP3).

This issue has now disappeared :-)

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.