Forum » Development Discussion

I worked on a Pandora solution

• Gabek sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 mar 2006, 04:09
    Terpio,

I think I got that request working. I hope to put it in tomorrow, along with a few other changes!

• terpio sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 mar 2006, 14:53
    Last.fm had some problems yesterday so You probably hadn't have a chance to add yours improvements, am I right?

BTW, I was listening to pandora (by real-ity) when last.fm and submissions server was down and I have checked my profile today but none of tracks from pandora were submitted - is it possible to create some sort of caching system for later submission if last.fm server is down (like caching to file in audiograbber winamp plugin when server is offline) ?

• Is there something that could be added to the script to subtract "(Feat. so-and-so)" from submitted track names to make them consistent with the last.fm style of track naming? For example, instead of "Undisputed (Feat. Chuck D)," the track would be submitted as just "Undisputed."

Aaron Ackerson
    www.AaronAckerson.net
    • terpio sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 mar 2006, 11:51
    But there are many preview-able tracks with (Feat. XXX) on Last.fm - look here. I think Gabek should leave submitting as it is. BTW I like new version of web interface :) I only miss some sort of sign when track will be submitted (old: loading page) so maybe You could add counter? It would help me to know how much time I have to deciding if I want play all track and submit it to my profile.

• Gabek sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 mar 2006, 15:15
    Hey all. Hope you like the new layout. I'm not a web designer, but I thought I should put some effort forward to try to make it decent to look at. The most important change, as i'm sure you've noticed, is the status box that actualy works better :)

Here's two more things I hope to put in this weekend:
    * Buttons to force a submit, or stop a submit.
    * Visual countdown so you can see when it's about to submit.

As far as Aaron's request, i'm not going to put in any kind of filtering on this side, as Last.FM already has ways to edit your profile and such. But, I can add a spot where you can change the text of what's going to be submitted before it does. Would that be at all useful? I know I wouldn't use it at all, but I can put that in.

And as far as the whole "when Last.FM submission is down" deal, I don't know. A lot would have to change to impliment it. This thing is kind of a convinience server-side hack and not a real software plugin, so it would be more difficult. I'll think about it, though.

• Thanks loads for writing the bits of string to put this together. I'll definitely be giving pandora a proper try out now. I'll trust you not to run off with all my last.fm details for now (but if lots of Har Mar starts mysteriously turning up in my profile I'll know who to blame)

Now, if only there was a way existing last.fm profiles could be uploaded to pandora without totally overwhelming it..

• Re:

Quoth Gabek:
    But, I can add a spot where you can change the text of what's going to be submitted before it does. Would that be at all useful? I know I wouldn't use it at all, but I can put that in.

I would use that.

Aaron Ackerson
    www.AaronAckerson.net
  • I've listened about 10 hours straight to pandora through your site. Everything worked perfectly :)

Want to listen to your playlists on last.fm? Have a look at TagBar
    • Gabek sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 mar 2006, 16:54
    Cool, glad to hear it's working!

I just finished with a few more changes. I put in the way to edit the artist and song before submitting, if you're into that. I also added buttons to force a submit or stop a submit. And then the counter so you can sit and watch the time go by.

Enjoy!

• terpio sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 mar 2006, 17:32
    I love this new buttons and counter, thank you very much :D

After some time spent playing with new buttons and skipping tracks in pandora I have manged make counter count from -1 to -infinity ;) I really don't know how I have done it :D But I'm sure it was one time bug or someting as refresh of real-ity page helped sort counter back to normal and it works perfectly ever since :)

• It's even working a little too well ;) I tried it on my test account and if you check my recent played, I managed to submit 5 tracks in about 1 min. I thought the spam protection would kick in but obviously it doesn't. A minimum wait time could avoid some cheating.

Btw what tracklength are you submitting?

• Gabek sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 mar 2006, 04:27
    Well, I was planning on putting some measures in place to stop resubmissions, but then I realized the only person being hurt by spamming last.fm with submissions is themselves. The whole idea is to get reccomendations via your music profile built on music you actually listen to. So if you were to change what is submitted on purpose or submit multiple times, then why should I care. I admit this whole thing could totally be abused very easily, but I figured those who wanted to cheat the system probably found out ways to do it long ago anyway.

On the other hand, i'll probably put something in place to stop accidental clicks of the submit, I suppose.

As for the timer, yeah, it was kind of a last second thing I put in today. I kind of figured it wasn't going to be accurate. Hopefully it's good enough for a temporary use, though :)

And the track length. Good question. I kind of figured that would get brought up :) For whatever reason, Last.FM requires track lengths in each submission. Unfortunately for us, Pandora does not give us that information. So what do I do to figure it out? I lie :) Each track has a random length assigned to it that's anywhere from 2-4min or so. I didn't like that idea, but I didn't really know where else to go with it.

Does anyone know why Last.FM requires the track length anyway? I don't really understand it. It's probably for matching up to the musicbrainz database or something for fixing of artist/track names.

• Re:

Quoth Gabek:
    Well, I was planning on putting some measures in place to stop resubmissions, but then I realized the only person being hurt by spamming last.fm with submissions is themselves. The whole idea is to get reccomendations via your music profile built on music you actually listen to. So if you were to change what is submitted on purpose or submit multiple times, then why should I care. I admit this whole thing could totally be abused very easily, but I figured those who wanted to cheat the system probably found out ways to do it long ago anyway.

Fair enough. I wasn't able to submit the same track multiple times, that's probably enough. You can't choose to play specific songs anyway with Pandora, so you shouldn't be able to fill your profile with many submissions of a specific artist.

Does anyone know why Last.FM requires the track length anyway? I don't really understand it. It's probably for matching up to the musicbrainz database or something for fixing of artist/track names.
    I thought the track length was used to trigger spam protection, if the next song was submitted earlier then previous_track_length/2 for songs shorter then 8 min and 4 min for songs >= 8 min. Either the spam protection is disabled or this criteria isn't checked anymore.

• piqquam sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 mar 2006, 00:52
    Sorry, this isn't really related to this but I still wanted to post this.

I made myself a tag of good songs I've discovered with Pandora now: Pandora discovery.

Unfortunately none of them are streamable here in last.fm and the weird thing is, I'm now the only one in last.fm that has listened to Maneki Neko. So, pretty rare stuff there on Pandora.

"Once a lumberjack was about to chop down a tree, when he noticed a heart carved on it, with two names inside. Putting away his axe, he sawed down the tree instead. The point of that story escapes me, although six months later the lumberjack was fined for teaching a dwarf Roman numerals." -Woody Allen
    • Gabek sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 mar 2006, 04:23
    Cool idea! I'm having fun using it too :) I like that there's lots more obscure stuff on there.

• just a little question i can't find out: when i say "i (don't) like it" does it act as "send love/send ban" in last.fm?

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. - Groucho Marx
    • Gabek sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 mar 2006, 06:22
    It shouldn't be. If you listen to it past the time limit of auto-submit and then decide you don't like it, then it's already been submitted.

So if it's doing it by default, then it's wrong. Let me know if you see that.

• mandus sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 mar 2006, 11:54

Great - now I'll use Pandora even more!

I was thinking about this, and googled around - great work.

Btw, as I am a programmer my self, is it by any chance possible to get access to the code for this? I may even put this up on my own website if you want a distributed system (of course, I am just happy to stick to your page).

Take care,

Mandus
  • Help?

It's driving me mad-whenever I log onto Pandora it plays two songs at once?

Can you help please?

• Tag for later. :)

• Very cool! Thank you so much! :)

"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage
    • d00gs sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 mar 2006, 20:16
    Cool.

If you're willing, could I check out the source? Mainly just curious, though I might throw it up on my own server for convenience's sake.

• Gabek sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 mar 2006, 20:19
    That's no problem. I'll rar up the code and put it up for download. I never wanted to be he an ASP for this type of thing :) I just figured since I got something working i'd offer everyone to use it instead of putting a burden of trying to set it up.

I'll see if I can put everything needed in one little archive and i'll post the URL in a bit.

• Gabek sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 mar 2006, 20:51
  • Re:

Quoth Gabek:
    http://www.real-ity.com/pandora/PandoraFM.tar.gz

Enjoy!

Thank you for this! Now I just need to get my husband out of LotR: The Battle for Middle-Earth. ;D

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.