Forum » Development Discussion

Combo.fm: Combined Last.fm radio stations

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 12 apr 2010, 12:42
    I just wondered about that :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
  • @tburny: "and" is a set intersection, "or" is a set union. Also, with an 'or' the common elements will have higher chances of being selected.

If you were taught that elves caused rain, every time it rained, you'd see the proof of elves.
  • nova77LF said:
    @JustSomeOldJoe I am not sure to understand what you mean by "state". The obscurity slider can be turned on/off on whatever station you like.
    Popularity is defined by the number of last.fm listeners.
    Just trying to figure out exactly how the engine will ensure tracks aren't repeated session to session.

Repeated tracks over a single session was definitely a problem, and you've resolved that via repeat rate. However, repeated tracks across sessions (i.e. you just played that track for me yesterday... wtf) was an even bigger problem, IMO.

Just curious if the 2nd problem -- repeated tracks over contiguous sessions -- is handled in any way which would require maintaining some sort of short term state history.

If not, would really love to see the addition of a few limiters to take into account last played date, play count, etc.

By the way, awesome damned work! I had assumed you took into account parens to enable precedent conditions. Glad to see the confirmation. Damned nice design!!!

nova77LF said:
    By the way, I should mention that all those features are still in the design phase. I cannot guarantee that they are all going to be in the final product. (You might not believe it, but we also have to discuss them with the labels :p).
    #&$%!

• @JustSomeOldJoe: it's very simple. There is a global history pool which is being used every time you tune into any station. The repetition rate will simply use that (global) list to tweak how much weight to associate to each track before making the selection. In that sense it is "per session", but the list is global, so you should not have issues with repeated tracks on different stations.

That said, there is still currently an issue on where to store this history. At the moment we use memcached which means it is not really persistent and it might happen that if you have a long break between two sessions (i.e. 3-4 days) the whole things disappears. We are aware of that and we are working on a semi/persistent solution.

JustSomeOldJoe said:
    nova77LF said:
    By the way, I should mention that all those features are still in the design phase. I cannot guarantee that they are all going to be in the final product. (You might not believe it, but we also have to discuss them with the labels :p).
    #&$%!
    Sigh..

If you were taught that elves caused rain, every time it rained, you'd see the proof of elves.
    • Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 20 apr 2010, 12:49
    I can't get this program to work anymore. Worked just fine on my Vista x64, but on 7 x64 it just doesn't start. I can see the contours of the black cmd box opening, but disappears as fast as it appears.

(runComboFm.cmd)

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 20 apr 2010, 19:10
    okay, I found what was the problem..

maybe you could add this as a paragraph on your blog to help others with similar problems.

I added the line pause to the cmd file, and it said that "java" was not recognized.

Java was already installed, but somehow there was no Path-thing in Environment Variables..

I just set it to the /bin folder in my Java installation, and now it worked ;)

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 21 apr 2010, 19:15
    oh thanks :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
  • I know I'm a little late to the party, but this really is awesome. Thanks!

• Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 23 maj 2010, 07:59
    There's a bug for tags with spaces in them, but you can get around it by entering the tags with pluses instead of spaces.

tburny said:
    "Radio of" plays a user's radio station, "Library of" onlis his/her library :)
    But a user's station is their library station now, isn't it? Both of these pages say that they are playing my library:
    http://www.last.fm/listen/user/Bloopy/personal
    http://www.last.fm/listen/user/Bloopy

Or is there some difference in content between these two?

Anyway, this is great!

• Skiye sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 24 maj 2010, 19:09
    fantastic!!! finally getting a chance to try this out (windows machine at the moment)....absolutely loving it. Thanks!!!!!

edit: where do you keep the list stored in the drop down menu of "set value" (genres, peoples, etc)? i am wondering if i can append my own content to the list(s)/enhance the list(s). also, am using on new xubuntu distro now (10.04, x32), working great so far. =)

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 27 maj 2010, 14:35
    all data in the dropdown are live data from last.fm api, they are only stored in memory :)
    Feel free to improve the application :) It's open source ;)

• Skiye sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 28 maj 2010, 17:13
    yeah, i found the .properties file i was seeking. ;) think i may change it from Neighbors to Friends, but thats the only thing i (personally) would adjust.

also, compiled an Executable for you (everyone that uses windows anyway) from the batch script:
    download it here if you wish (megaupload.com)
    download to or place this file the "dist" directory (where "ComboFm.jar" is located).

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 29 maj 2010, 14:38
    hey thanks! will try it out if I'm on windows again ;)

• Skiye sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 29 maj 2010, 16:25
    np, i use win xp @ work so it was just handy to have - at home is different haha ;)

and just in case anyone wants to know i compiled it with this:
    bat_to_executable by fatih kodak

and here are the contents of the batch file i compiled:
    @echo off
    java -jar ComboFm.jar

(it was just easier not including a path, thats why it must be placed in the "/dist" directory that contains the .jar file)

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 30 maj 2010, 11:42
    The Copy button doesn't work..

• akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 maj 2010, 10:25
    Tecfan said:

This is a Known Problem, see page 1 of this thread.

Perhaps Ctrl-C helps?

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 31 maj 2010, 11:16
    akrde said:
    Tecfan said:

This is a Known Problem, see page 1 of this thread.

Ooh :)

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 29 jun 2010, 20:16
    Can I use it on a Mac? (if so, what do I do?) :)

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 29 jun 2010, 23:23
    Babs_05 said:
    Can I use it on a Mac? (if so, what do I do?) :)

While we wait for burny's answer, I'm gonna go ahead and guess "yes".. I've never used a Mac, but it seems to have Java support: http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mac.xml

... you just gotta find a way to run the program ^^

• Skiye sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 30 jun 2010, 04:17
    well, im sure you can open x11 terminal and 'cd' to the directory you download his app to and run the regular java command ("java -jar Combofm.jar" for example), but im not 100% confident in explaining that either since im not a mac user...

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 30 jun 2010, 06:54
    I do not own a max, but I know you can grab a shell as Skiye said :)
    Or just try clicking/opening(do not use the right mouse button ;) the jar after installing java, on windows this should launch Combo.fm, so I guess on mac

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 30 jun 2010, 17:04
    Thanks. I'll wait till I've done enough learning to figure it out. : /

(and they say Macs are easy to use. Pffft)

• toc-rox sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 jun 2010, 18:22
    Maybe helpful - yes, it works on a Mac:

- download Combo.fm
    - open a terminal (programs -> utilities)
    - navigate to your download folder (eg. cd /Users/Babs/Downloads/Combofm)
    - start the application (java -jar ComboFm/dist/ComboFm.jar)

That's it ..

• Skiye sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 30 jun 2010, 18:27
    on a mac, can you just right click in the folder and "open terminal here"?

(to open terminal directly in that folder would eliminate the need for the filepath - "java -jar ComboFm.jar" would only be necessary)

as an alternative, if you can use bin/bash code on a mac (i think?):
    #!/bin/bash
    cd /Users/Babs/Downloads/Combofm
    java -jar ComboFm.jar

**save with no file extension to '/usr/local/bin'?

not sure if you would have to run a 'chmod' on the file to change permissions in mac though - then whatever you call the file is your executable for the app...to run from your x11 terminal (open terminal and type "combofm" or watever you named the file).

• Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 30 jun 2010, 21:21
    tburny said:
    Or just try clicking/opening(do not use the right mouse button ;) the jar after installing java, on windows this should launch Combo.fm
    Yeah, that surprised me when I double clicked a jar. I guess it only took Java about 15 years to realise they could make it do that.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.