Forum » Development Discussion

Combo.fm: Combined Last.fm radio stations

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jan 2012, 21:04
    I'm happy to wait till TB surfaces!

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
    • Wilwa sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jan 2012, 21:10
    What a great little tool!

But I've noticed that it doesn't seem to work when you choose the humbug option for Christmas music?

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 4 jan 2012, 16:14
    @Wilwa I haven't tried yet :) Last Christmas isn't really one of my favourite songs ;)

@headey I think yes, Combo station could be track based but I don't know much more than you do :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
    • Wilwa sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2012, 20:12
    tburny: What I mean is that I have Christmas music in my library. I don't want to hear that during non-Christmas season so I want to have the humbug option on. But when the humbug option is on, trying to make a station with Combo gives an error message (I think it is the standard one "oops sorry can't start the station [...]").

Edit: Spelling.

Redigerad av Wilwa den 5 jan 2012, 12:20
    • tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 5 jan 2012, 08:19
    Interesting :) Maybe I can ask some staff member to take a look at it

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 jan 2012, 20:20
    Sorry if this has already been discussed but I would like to know how to best
    utilise the Repetition/Mainstream mode. I did try moving the sliders to the left
    side once which I presumed lessened repetitions and mainstream, but once
    I clicked on play in software I get "Sorry the playlist service is not responding,
    please try later."

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 14 jan 2012, 15:32
    Hm it works fine for me, I added meat loaf OR bryan adams as station with both sliders to the left.

Which stations did you use to create the Combo station?

• Is it possible to use parentheses with Combo.fm?

Is it possible to use parenthesis with the Combo.fm website in the manner described by akrde, whom I quoted below?
    akrde said:
    is this possible too: (radio A AND radio B) OR (radio A AND radio C) OR ....?

I came across the following answer by nova77LF:
    nova77LF said:
    @akrde Yes, parenthesis are allowed, but it increase the complexity of the operation so you might end up hitting the timeout and not getting anything as a result.

By the way, I should mention that all those features are still in the design phase. I cannot guarantee that they are all going to be in the final product. (You might not believe it, but we also have to discuss them with the labels :p).

Is what nova77LF said still correct, and were he and akrde talking about the command-line-interface version of combo.fm that, if I understand correctly, came before the graphical web version? Or were they talking about the graphical web version?

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 21 jan 2012, 15:36
    Parenthesis are possible, but I did not implement it, neither in the java, nor in the website version, because it would add much complexity, especially when it comes to loading/editing saved stations (work in progress ^^).

However, you can edit the RQL string to add them manually:
    Create your Combo station like you would normally do. Now, below the station items, there is a link called [debug]. Click on it. You will see a string representation of the Combo station.
    Take a look at http://burnysblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/combo-station-urls.html for some more explanations.
    Then, copy the string into your favourite text editor like notepad. Put the parethesis in the string like:
    adv:tburny or (tag:"rock" or tag:"pop")

Now, paste the result into the text box of http://www.motobit.com/util/base64-decoder-encoder.asp and click "convert the source data".
    The result of my example should be:
    YWR2OnRidXJueSBvciAodGFnOiJyb2NrIiBvciB0YWc6InBvcCIp

Prepend
    - http://last.fm/listen/rql/ for listening to the station in your browser. For the example, that would be
    http://last.fm/listen/rql/YWR2OnRidXJueSBvciAodGFnOiJyb2NrIiBvciB0YWc6InBvcCIp
    Paste it into your browser's address bar and hit return.
    - lastfm://rql/ for the software last.fm player. Example:
    lastfm://rql/YWR2OnRidXJueSBvciAodGFnOiJyb2NrIiBvciB0YWc6InBvcCIp
    Paste it into the station input field of the last.fm software and hit return to start listening :)

• Användare
    • 21 jan 2012, 19:19
    tburny said:
    Hm it works fine for me, I added meat loaf OR bryan adams as station with both sliders to the left.

Which stations did you use to create the Combo station?

I added some recommended artists along with their similar counterparts
    or should I say whatever artists I picked this included similar.

I still have the "A Radio Station" on my client about four of them, if I knew
    how to get the url for these I could post them here and you could have a
    look perhaps.

..oh aha I had all artists as "And" should I have done them as "OR" and
    the last as "NOT".. lol sounds confusing to me.. but I will try that or just
    mess around until I get the "sweet spot"

Heeelp!!! lol

I tried these artists Avani or Doc Ish or Cooly's Hot Box pushed the sliders to the far left and ticked discovery mode. Started station in client and got "playlist is not responding". Unticked discovery, and pushed sliders towards the middle and got the same.

Yet if I just add artists and leave the sliders and do not use discovery everything
    works fine. Not sure if this matters, I am using Chrome as my browser.

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 21 jan 2012, 23:03
    • snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 21 jan 2012, 22:04

Re: Is it possible to use parentheses with Combo.fm?

Bending_Spoons said:
    I came across the following answer by nova77LF:
    nova77LF said:
    @akrde Yes, parenthesis are allowed, but it increase the complexity of the operation so you might end up hitting the timeout and not getting anything as a result.

By the way, I should mention that all those features are still in the design phase. I cannot guarantee that they are all going to be in the final product. (You might not believe it, but we also have to discuss them with the labels :p).

Is what nova77LF said still correct, and were he and akrde talking about the command-line-interface version of combo.fm that, if I understand correctly, came before the graphical web version? Or were they talking about the graphical web version?
    While tburny's reply answers all your questions, I think there is a point that might be missed here. nova77LF was talking about RQL not combo.fm. RQL is a language used to specify how Last.FM should select the tracks to play. Combo.fm creates RQL "code" to send to Last.FM.

tburny's example above is how you can create your own RQL code.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 23 jan 2012, 07:49
    Thanks for the clarification synde1 :)
    @mugshot_tim: It always displays "A radio station" as station name. For debugging, here you can paste the station url(s) you used. The RQL/combo station stuff is sometimes a bit experimental at last.fm's side, so sometimes unexpected things - like you described in your previous post - can happen :)

• Användare
    • 23 jan 2012, 17:06
    How do I get the url?

• Användare
    • 23 jan 2012, 17:19
    I just created a new station with 3rd Bass, London Posse, Lord Finesse and Spoonie Gee

I have not started the station yet but here is the url, which I got from clicking on the tweet
    this station and copied. If I have missed any part of this, please let me know.

[Avvaktar moderation]

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 23 jan 2012, 19:31
    Looks correct if I decode the base 64:
    simart:"3rd Bass" or simart:"London Posse" or simart:"Lord Finesse" or simart:"Spoonie Gee"

• Användare
    • 23 jan 2012, 20:20
    OK, so if I chose to use less mainstream or repetition, should I change anything
    with the "And" "Or" "Not".

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 24 jan 2012, 14:54
    Mainstream and repetition are options which you can set if you like to :)

• Användare
    • 24 jan 2012, 15:30
    tburny said:
    Mainstream and repetition are options which you can set if you like to :)

That is the problem, when I put the sliders left of center I am getting that "not responding" message. It is not working for me so I am stuck with just playing
    the radio stations "as is" and I am getting a lot of tracks repeating themselves.

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 24 jan 2012, 15:41
    Maybe it times out,e.g. there are so many similar artists that it takes too long to filter for less known ones. Can you try to set only one option at once and see if any of these work for you?

• Användare
    • 24 jan 2012, 17:07
    tburny said:
    Maybe it times out,e.g. there are so many similar artists that it takes too long to filter for less known ones. Can you try to set only one option at once and see if any of these work for you?

yeah, I'll give that a go.

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 jan 2012, 21:47
    @mugshot_tim -Did you notice Wilwa's comment too : But when the "bah humbug" option is on, trying to make a station with Combo gives an error message (I think it is the standard one "oops sorry can't start the station [...]").Since I selected "I like my radio as it is" I've definitely been getting fewer "ooops..." messages.
    (btw, thanks Wilwa!)

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    Redigerad av headey den 29 mar 2012, 08:23
    • Användare
    • 25 jan 2012, 01:36
    headey said:
    @mugshot_tim -Did you notice Wilwa's comment too : But when the humbug option is on, trying to make a station with Combo gives an error message (I think it is the standard one "oops sorry can't start the station [...]").Since I allowed 'humbug' I've definitely been getting fewer "ooops..." messages.
    (btw, thanks Wilwa!)

I can make stations in combo that is not the problem, it's the mainstream and repetition
    sliders that are; also discovery.

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 jan 2012, 04:37
    @mugshot_tim
    OK, but I was just checking that you HAD got your http://www.last.fm/settings/website set to "I like my radio as it is" to give combo its best chance.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    • Användare
    • 25 jan 2012, 04:45
    OK, but won't this still play cheesey vomit producing chrismee songs.
    I can always ban them bastards if they come up I guess.

[Update]
    I stand corrected or actually I sit.. switching to "I like my radio as it is"
    seems to have done the trick. I will do a few ideas and mixes as well
    and see what happens.

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 27 jan 2012, 00:13
    headey thanks!

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.