Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Increase in sound quality

• A 128k mp3 will start too roll off frequencies at 50hz and 12,000hz

Thats a poor frequency response as the human ere has the ability to hear from 20-20,000hz and alot of high quality recordings go beyond the audible range of the human ere.

Some vinyls from the 70's were recorded up to 50,000hz! so why should we have to listen to such poor quality in this day and age? I will not pay for last fm unless the quality is improved.

• Mutovkin sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 jul 2011, 19:01

Please improve quality

Paid for the first time hoping I would get better quality, but now I'm realizing I've made a mistake because of audio quality.

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 16 jul 2011, 11:23
    Hint: If you are using a smartphone I recommend you to set the quality from 96 kbps to 128 kbps :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
  • [spam]

[spam]

Redigerad av Ziomek2000 den 20 jul 2011, 17:11
  • [spam]

[spam]

Redigerad av mr_maxis den 21 jul 2011, 20:34
  • While I realise the complexity of such a move (licensing, support...) I would be very grateful for at least a partial or a gradual implementation of higher quality audio, be it through increasing the bitrate or through using a lossless encoder.

At least for non-mobile devices, please! :)

...A flash in an abyss, a dream in the void...
    (Be'lakor - From Scythe To Sceptre)

• 128 is too low

Another user that feel the quality somehow low. I would be glad if you could increase the quality for at least 256kbps.

• Quality- Improve it and you'll get a lot more listeners. I know loads that would pay for 256kbps+

The idea that 128kbps is high enough quality is a joke. Perhaps for people without ears.

I played a 192kbps and then a 256kbps recording to a group of uninterested listeners and even they said that the first one sounded bad and the second much better. They are not audiophiles. True, many people may say they don't hear the difference, but they do. Just go to a festival where one system sucks and another is great and you'll see that people may not be consciously aware of the improvement, but find themselves enjoying the music more.

I went to a festival where exactly the same song came on out a poor set up and little response from crowd, out of Leftfield's sound system in at another stage and the place erupted. Quality does matter.

Improve your quality and you'd get me and a lot of others subscribing. I know at least 20 people personally who don't use you as a primary music source because of this.

As it is, you are the poor man's choice. Anyone with a decent stereo/earphones etc knows that 128kbps is horribly compressed. Spotify at 320kbps is good, but lacks your radio features, which I love.

Just combine the two- quality and new music. Please!

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 15 dec 2011, 17:45
    shyshirly did you say to them the second one has better quality? :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
  • Audio quality is entirely too subjective for opinion-based tests to have any meaning in this battle.

Having said that, 128 is a little low, and should offer a noticeable difference to people who paid more than $25 for headphones (that's a pretty large crowd) in comparison to MP3s that they currently have downloaded. Last.fm's paid service audio quality is the lowest of all the competition.

There is no shortage of people who will pay more for higher quality audio. $5/month for 190? Sign me up, and enjoy 66% more money.

• andy1921 sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 apr 2012, 20:29

Please more than 128kbps

Really sound quality is the only item (and heaving in mind the purpouse of the site...well...gently speaking - quite important) I dislike in last.fm.Considering increas of bandwidh from internet providers (often with even less fee),more and more net streamers made by seroius audiofile brands (for example last Denon product), sound quality should follow that.
    And nobody will tell me that sound quality of 128kbps will sound as good as let say 256kbps and not only on quality streamers.

last.fm team please! consider increase of bitrate...

• I was about to buy myself a one year subscription just for your radio service. Learning that the bit rate is so low just turned the tide. You just lost another customer.

Don't want to pay for MP3 encoding? Then don't. Switch to AAC. AAC is an open and free format. It also has better quality at lower bit rates. It's a Win-Win situation...

Why are you using MP3 anyways?

• pnetz sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 maj 2012, 11:01
    128 kbit for a free service is nice and all, but I would never subscribe to a charged service with such a low audio quality... Great service, but you need to improve on that front to win me as a paying customer.

And please don't give the bandwidth argument. It's 2012, so anyone with a line that doesn't provide for 192 kbit audio streaming is probably not in your target demographic as an online streaming provider... ;-)

• autcunc sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 jun 2012, 02:02

Great catalog, crap quality

I think Last.fm has the best catalog of noncommercial/independent music of all the streaming web services. Even deleted albums or things long out of print are still making the rounds here. What a tragedy that these treasures should be consigned to 128kbps. They're like Polaroids of music.

I'd love to pay to support this service as I've learned so much from it over the years, but there's no way I'm getting gouged for this quality.

• tox82max sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 jun 2012, 15:34

[spam]

[spam]

Redigerad av mr_maxis den 23 jun 2012, 17:35
  • last fm quality ruins the whole experience

last fm provides a great service in terms of presenting us with new music but the quality completely ruins it. some songs u barely can hear the voices or stirings, the sound is extremely muffled. i just started using spotify. even thought i dont like the service so much and the fact that u need to install the software but we are talking about music so the sound quality is most def a deal breaker

• oopzmail sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 jul 2012, 23:36

Adobe Flash Player equalizer

I'm a little hard of hearing so the sound quality is fine for me. I have a hard time with the higher frequencies. Is there a way to add an equalizer to Flash Player?

• I agree with the increase in quality. It would justify a subscription fee.

• The Good With The Bad

last.fm has the best music taste matching service, but a lot of the music is poor quality. I think that if the music quality was higher, last.fm might blow all the competition off the field. When I want good sound, I listen to my personal collection.

• I got an e-mail today, saying that my subscription will expire soon.

It also said: If you didn't like it we'd like to know why - tell us all about it here:
    http://www.last.fm/forum/21717

So here I am, telling you why I won't extend my subscription:

The streams sounds like the mp3 files in my offline collection that I downloaded in 1997.

15 years later, every other service is offering a far, far superior sound quality. And I grew to expect it.

I'm now subscribed to a service offering 320 kbps sound quality for 3 times the price of last.fm. But it's worth it.

Come on guys. Get a grip... improve the quality already...
    or let the other services take over your customer base.

• The sound quality is the deal breaker for me. It really sounds bad.

• fedesimo sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 dec 2012, 21:48

Please upgrade sound quality!

128 kbps in 2012 is nonsense! Maybe 5 years ago was acceptable but not now! I really enjoy your music streaming service, it lets me discover so many nice songs. If you don't change to something better I will have to look for alternatives...
    What a shame!

simomat
    • Fatalyst sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 dec 2012, 00:57

Some pop music are OK with 128 kbps but not electronic

Please upgrade to at least 160 kbps.

• ptitgnu sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jan 2013, 20:04
    I think the good solution is to rip all CDs to FLAC format (lossless, open and royalty-free) and store all theses files as originals (on a private area of lastfm servers).
    Once you have these files, you can easily create some scripts to automagically re-encode all tracks to any codec you want (MP3/128, Vorbis/128, MP3/192, ...).

Gentoo GNU/Linux User
    • bagleemo sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 mar 2013, 17:41
    ongehoord said:
    I got an e-mail today, saying that my subscription will expire soon.

It also said: If you didn't like it we'd like to know why - tell us all about it here:
    http://www.last.fm/forum/21717

So here I am, telling you why I won't extend my subscription:

The streams sounds like the mp3 files in my offline collection that I downloaded in 1997.

15 years later, every other service is offering a far, far superior sound quality. And I grew to expect it.

I'm now subscribed to a service offering 320 kbps sound quality for 3 times the price of last.fm. But it's worth it.

Come on guys. Get a grip... improve the quality already...
    or let the other services take over your customer base.

Just wanted to echo what ongehoord said. The sound quality is why I won't be renewing my paid subscription. However, I'm not willing to pay 3 times the price for decent sound, so that's not going work for me.

Thanks for providing this service, but it doesn't make sense to pay for it when the sound is so lousy. Consider going with FLAC or at least OGG at a high bitrate.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.