Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Increase in sound quality

• eeok007 sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 sep 2010, 08:46

[spam]

[spam]

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 3 sep 2010, 08:55
  • In behalf of the Audio Quality group, imagine 13 (or whatever our member number is by now) posts here that strongly support increasing the quality. (Look at the group motto: the current quality is far from sufficient.)

If you're afraid of bandwidth, use VBR to a certain extent. That does not cost you any bandwidth. Also, you could optionally supply OGG Vorbis. For any tracks which are available for free, I see no reason to not allow a FLAC download on top of the normal stream. If you are afraid of bandwidth usage, provide popular files as Torrent or similar, this will cause less load.

Likewise, I'd love surround, higher sampling rate, anything that gets this page into 21st century audio.

konijntim said:
    I don't think much listeners listening CLASSIC MUSSIC *bragg*

Just a side note, but I believe highest sound quality is required on extreme recordings, which have very little noise and very high precision, e.g. Ayreon, newer Blind Guardian, some types of Jazz, Symphonic Metal, more dense types of electronic music such as J-Pop (they like chimes and whatnot).

But also the opposite can suffer, e.g. all kinds of Metal that drown the melody instruments in noise, like some kinds of Black Metal. If your audio quality sucks, you only hear the drums and growling... well, great, that sucks even if you like this stuff. Just the existence of lot of noise in there doesn't mean the fans will never care about compression; on the contrary, the noise eats a lot of bitrate.

Heck, 80% of my music profits from higher sound quality. How many people listen to classical music is irrelevant, as long as most music has instruments that behave in a similar fashion under mp3 compression.

Personally, on a cheap sound system (around the THX Multimedia license, say 300€ for speakers+sub and 60€ for A/D conversion), I find VBR mp3 (newest LAME Encoder) at an average bitrate around 220 for normal tracks sufficient, as in, I cannot distinguish it from the CD. If someone knows the audio differences and/or has a better sound system, this probably gets worse.

• I'll jump to spotify if the quality stays the same

I love last FM but the quality ruins a big chunk of the pleasure. I don't have expensive speakers. But i can really hear the difference, or at least feel it most of the time.
    There is too much detail and dynamics lacking for a subscription service.

You'll eventually have to change as everyone else is moving forward. Delaying will lead to more people jump ship.

Please, do something about this.

• Please improve the sound quality.
    I would consider whether to extend my subscription if the sound quality remains the same.

• akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 sep 2010, 11:50
    How's the sound quality on a Sonos S5 system (www.sonos.com)? Any experiences anyone?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 okt 2010, 01:18
    Audio quality is getting worse, as is the content of the songs (not the music itself, but I am now hearing DJ chatter and other audio on top of some songs.) I know it was stated around page 1 or 2 that Last.fm has many sources but if radio stations are allowed to overlay their station credentials "CALLSIGN EXCLUSIVE!" on top of the audio track here then I will be tempted to go elsewhere.

Oh, and how about volume normalization in the player (iPhone)? Some songs too quiet to hear and others that will blow your speakers off.

/rant
    //do feel better now.

• ikaraam sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 okt 2010, 21:14
    After reading so many wonderful posts, I think may have a struck on a solution that guarantees high-end compression with life-like quality..

A few steps:
    1) Insert CD into your sound system and press play
    2) Put on some headphones, preferably inner-ear
    3) Use you music taste to compress the tracks by humming and tapping along with the tune.
    4) Take a rest, after an album of compression you will need it.

Now, whenever you want to hear the tune again you can hum and tap away, without the need for monthly fees, bits, internet or worry of copyright infringement. Perfect!

If for whatever reason it doesn't work out, you can always come back to last.fm, load your favourite tracks and jam those ear buds in a little more for that ever higher bitrate :)

• [spam]

[spam]

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 18 okt 2010, 14:16
    • WTK_300 sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 okt 2010, 12:57
    thats the end ?:D

• Mereo sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 okt 2010, 06:10

You've lost a customer

I was going to subscribe to Last.FM but I compared Last.FM's quality to Spotify and I have to say that the latter was much better.

• I have to agree that that the manner in which mp3's are encoded can make a big difference, however, there is also a difference between 128K and 256K. All downloads from Apple are 256k VBR, and like it or not, I feel like that sets the standard. I can understand that re-encoding millions of songs at a higher bitrate is a hassle, but if last.fm doesn't do it, someone else will.

• MrBrYcE sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 nov 2010, 04:28

whatever he said

ForceDestroyer said:
    In behalf of the Audio Quality group, imagine 13 (or whatever our member number is by now) posts here that strongly support increasing the quality. (Look at the group motto: the current quality is far from sufficient.)

If you're afraid of bandwidth, use VBR to a certain extent. That does not cost you any bandwidth. Also, you could optionally supply OGG Vorbis. For any tracks which are available for free, I see no reason to not allow a FLAC download on top of the normal stream. If you are afraid of bandwidth usage, provide popular files as Torrent or similar, this will cause less load.

Likewise, I'd love surround, higher sampling rate, anything that gets this page into 21st century audio.

konijntim said:
    I don't think much listeners listening CLASSIC MUSSIC *bragg*

Just a side note, but I believe highest sound quality is required on extreme recordings, which have very little noise and very high precision, e.g. Ayreon, newer Blind Guardian, some types of Jazz, Symphonic Metal, more dense types of electronic music such as J-Pop (they like chimes and whatnot).

But also the opposite can suffer, e.g. all kinds of Metal that drown the melody instruments in noise, like some kinds of Black Metal. If your audio quality sucks, you only hear the drums and growling... well, great, that sucks even if you like this stuff. Just the existence of lot of noise in there doesn't mean the fans will never care about compression; on the contrary, the noise eats a lot of bitrate.

Heck, 80% of my music profits from higher sound quality. How many people listen to classical music is irrelevant, as long as most music has instruments that behave in a similar fashion under mp3 compression.

Personally, on a cheap sound system (around the THX Multimedia license, say 300€ for speakers+sub and 60€ for A/D conversion), I find VBR mp3 (newest LAME Encoder) at an average bitrate around 220 for normal tracks sufficient, as in, I cannot distinguish it from the CD. If someone knows the audio differences and/or has a better sound system, this probably gets worse.

• oren_b sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 dec 2010, 12:42
    I subscribed in hope for better sound quality, but unfortunately this isn't the case. I really hope Last.FM will follow Pandora and Spotify and offer higher bitrate for subscribers. At this quality, I'm afraid I won't renew my Last.FM account...

• The sound quality is awful

Maybe I'm just used to listening to FLAC, but the quality on Last.fm is not good. It's true that many people cannot tell the difference, but many people are used to listening to lossy MP3s of dynamically compressed tracks playing through laptop speakers, car speakers, earbuds and iPod docks. People have become complacent with shitty quality audio, but that doesn't mean you should perpetuate it.

Note: Last.FM has MUCH better music than Pandora.

• Sound quality desperately needs upgrading!

Please increase the bit rate that the songs are streamed. The quality is pretty crap. This last.fm could be so much more, heck i wouldn't even mind paying a couple bucks more per month.

• akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 feb 2011, 17:19
    Mobile sound quality is even worse, only 96 kbps here... :(

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 21 feb 2011, 08:37
    you can improve the quality in the settings (at least for the andoid app, duuno how it is for the others) :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
    • akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 feb 2011, 11:56
    tburny said:
    you can improve the quality in the settings (at least for the andoid app, duuno how it is for the others) :)

Seems that you are right, and mobile apps are streaming with 128 kbps: http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+for+iPhone+and+iPod+Touch/forum/103852/_/672081/_/14473160

Weird, thought that i've read something about only 96 kbps for Last.fm mobile apps somewhere....

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 24 feb 2011, 15:15
    maybe (back in the days mobile radio was for free) it's a subscriber feature?

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 mar 2011, 23:00
    last.fm is good with shitty speakers because you can't curse last.fm's quality... but with good headphones on... holy fuck the quality sucks.

CHANGE IT (subscriber feature)

• diem2412 sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 mar 2011, 02:32
    lol .. I use last.fm just to scrobble for new stuff to discover then buy and whatnot. I honestly don't care too much for the higher bitrate.. Would be nice to get a higher bit rate 192 kbps would have to be the minimum. I love pandora :D truly random music experience.

• [spam]

Redigerad av tburny den 23 mar 2011, 13:12
  • Re:Increase in sound quality

[spam]

Redigerad av tburny den 23 mar 2011, 13:11
    • npavlica sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 apr 2011, 16:43

Improve The Sound Quality!

I know that bandwidth is expensive, but I can tell a difference in sound quality between low and high bit rate encoded material. I wish we could stream in a lossless format, but realise that we aren't there yet. However, it doesn't take long get irritated with poor sound quality and move on to something else.

• Monsturr sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 maj 2011, 11:05
    People are willing to spend the money for better sound quality and you still haven't done it.

It's been 2 years guys, seriously.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.