Forum » Development Discussion

Similar Artists / Recommended / Powered by last.fm

• TimeTime sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 maj 2012, 17:50

Similar Artists / Recommended / Powered by last.fm

Hi all,

Im in the process of building a Music Video website.

I believe last.fm have an API which recommends similar artists to what the user is currently playing. I presume it only recommends Videos which I have in my own catalogue (of the music site Im building) which the user can then click and play.

Can somebody please guide to me which API I need to choose and any other guidance. The more guidance the better so all appreciated !!

Best Regards & Thanks,
    Paul

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 3 maj 2012, 23:05
    Hi Paul,
    maybe you also can try pulling user.getRecentTracks[/user] every X seconds. After each call, make an artist.getSimilar request. It's not personalised to the user, but if you intermix it with user.getRecommendedArtsts, you will
    - get some good recommendations for the user
    - allow discovery of new artists

You can do 5 requests per second and IP address (so maybe do these calls from the user's browser?) which is 1500 requests over five minutes before your API key will get banned.

If you need any help, just let me know :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
    • TimeTime sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 maj 2012, 23:24
    Many thanks,
    So am I right in saying for my video site. Last.fm will provide the API for my site to allow it display videos which are similar.

I presume it only relates to videos which I have in my catalogue?
    Many thanks :)

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 4 maj 2012, 00:22
    Afaik last.fm itself does not host any music videos. You need to create a mashup, e.g. with Youtube or similar.

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    • TimeTime sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 maj 2012, 10:15

user.getRecommendedArtists

Hi,

To get user.getRecommendedArtists on my site, Is it necessary to get all users to signed in?

I have created one application from my account . Now I want to access user.getRecommendedArtists for the application.

Will the user.getRecommendedArtists will provide only one users details ?

Do I need to add more artist to match recent tracks API's data?

I got recent tracks and get similer artist APIs . From that I have been able to match my database artists with only one API Ie. Similer Artist .

Please guide me more APIs to my recommendation done

• tburny sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 17 maj 2012, 21:33

Re: user.getRecommendedArtists

TimeTime said:
    Hi,

To get user.getRecommendedArtists on my site, Is it necessary to get all users to signed in?

Yes. The recommendations to a user are private and user specific, so you need to authenticate the last.fm user first.
    [qoute]
    I have created one application from my account . Now I want to access user.getRecommendedArtists for the application.

Will the user.getRecommendedArtists will provide only one users details ?

For profile data, try http://www.last.fm/api/show/user.getInfo

Do I need to add more artist to match recent tracks API's data?

I got recent tracks and get similer artist APIs . From that I have been able to match my database artists with only one API Ie. Similer Artist .

Please guide me more APIs to my recommendation done

The recent tracks are a list of tracks which the user scrobbled recently.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.