Forum » Development Discussion

The Return of MusicBrainz ids to Last.fm

• The Return of MusicBrainz ids to Last.fm

The eagle eyed among you may have noticed that a bunch of artists (309,431 to be precise) on Last.fm which didn't previously have MusicBrainz ids associated with them now do. You may also recall that we used to regularly synchronise Last.fm artists, albums and tracks with MusicBrainz and link ids together for use in various API calls. Due to a number of operational issues we unfortunately stopped doing this a couple of years ago.

The good news is that we are now once again receiving hourly MusicBrainz updates and are setting up our systems to regularly synchronise these with our music catalogue. We have started with artists and are currently working on albums, with tracks up next. These will be updated in a bit of an ad-hoc fashion to start off with but we plan to get these updating hourly in line with the MusicBrainz live feed updates in the near future. Hats off to Stefan who's been hard at work breathing life back into this system.

We will post updates here keep you informed of our progress. If you have any questions, comments or feature requests please let us know.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 nov 2011, 14:45
    that's great!

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 nov 2011, 14:47
    will releases include the (URL) relationships from MB? exactly what data is to be synchronized for albums and tracks?

• @ponicornio - initially we want to achieve feature parity with where we were 2 years ago, which is that you can query for artist, album and track by MBz id, and that you get MBz ids back when you do a getInfo() call on these. There's also the option to scrobble using MBz ids instead of meta data. Once we've done that we have some ideas but if anyone else has suggestions for improvements or other things we could be doing we'd love to hear it.

• benbono sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 nov 2011, 15:13
    Guess it's time to start up Picard again to add MBz ids to my tracks :)

• dz- sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 nov 2011, 22:27

:)

Awesome!

• Great news!

Awsome!

Are you syncing the metadata on already scrobbled data w/MBID too?

• Progress report (Vol. I)

MusicBrainz ids for artists and albums have been updated and are returned by the API (album.getInfo and artist.getInfo). What remains are minor cleanups and updates to track data. This will take a couple of days as there are about 11.5 million tracks in the MusicBrainz database. I'll keep you updated.

Meanwhile, let us know what you are planning to do with up to date MusicBrainz ids.

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 24 nov 2011, 12:24
    Question: because the MB database was outdated, some of our artists were redirected wrongly, will this be fixed now, recursively?

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • @Tecfan - so are you saying you scrobbled the artist name "Geirr Tveitt" but Last.fm marks the artist as "Tveitt"? I take it you are scrobbling using MBIDs?

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 24 nov 2011, 18:20
    massdosage said:
    @Tecfan - so are you saying you scrobbled the artist name "Geirr Tveitt" but Last.fm marks the artist as "Tveitt"? I take it you are scrobbling using MBIDs?

Yes. Compare my screenshot to http://musicbrainz.org/edit/6488356 and you see that the database that was used for redirecting must be 4 years old :P

• mr_maxis sa...
    • 24 nov 2011, 20:00
    Tecfan said:
    the database that was used for redirecting must be 4 years old :P
    +1
    It's more than 5 years actually.

Hopefully this announcement may fix this issue.

• snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 24 nov 2011, 22:53

Re: Progress report (Vol. I)

dasistdasende said:
    MusicBrainz ids for artists and albums have been updated and are returned by the API (album.getInfo and artist.getInfo). What remains are minor cleanups and updates to track data. This will take a couple of days as there are about 11.5 million tracks in the MusicBrainz database. I'll keep you updated.

Meanwhile, let us know what you are planning to do with up to date MusicBrainz ids.
    There seem to be some inconsistencies.

Example: Bushido hasn't been updated with the track and release information from MusicBrainz. Would this be one of the pending minor cleanups?

I hope to be able to use the up to date information to get album details from the last.fm API B-)

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • Any plan to return track mbid in the data returned by User.getRecentTracks?

• Re: Re: Progress report (Vol. I)

@snyde1 I just checked the artist and album you mentioned. Both have correct MBIDs set in our music catalogue, which are also returned by the API calls.

To clarify my previous message: We have updated MBIDs for artists and albums (releases). After the updating of tracks has finished the track listings for albums will be populated with current data from MusicBrainz. But as said, this is going to take some more days.

• snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 25 nov 2011, 14:38

Re: Re: Re: Progress report (Vol. I)

dasistdasende said:
    @snyde1 I just checked the artist and album you mentioned. Both have correct MBIDs set in our music catalogue, which are also returned by the API calls.
    Yes, I should have mentioned that - sorry.
    To clarify my previous message: We have updated MBIDs for artists and albums (releases). After the updating of tracks has finished the track listings for albums will be populated with current data from MusicBrainz. But as said, this is going to take some more days.Thanks - that was what I was really asking.

Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 2 dec 2011, 11:11
    Tecfan said:
    massdosage said:
    @Tecfan - so are you saying you scrobbled the artist name "Geirr Tveitt" but Last.fm marks the artist as "Tveitt"? I take it you are scrobbling using MBIDs?

Yes. Compare my screenshot to http://musicbrainz.org/edit/6488356 and you see that the database that was used for redirecting must be 4 years old :P

bump

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 dec 2011, 20:27
    such good news!

• @Tecfan - we haven't synchronised track MBIDs yet (which are used in scrobbling). We are focusing on artists and albums first and will do tracks next, hopefully before the year is out. We'll post here when we do.

• snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 8 dec 2011, 03:12
    I have come across albums that are in Musicbrainz, but do not have an MBID in the API.

Is this due to the data dump still being processed?

If not, is there a mechanism by which users can submit corrections to the last.fm database?

Example: Bushido - API - MBID

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 8 dec 2011, 11:37
    massdosage said:
    @Tecfan - we haven't synchronised track MBIDs yet (which are used in scrobbling). We are focusing on artists and albums first and will do tracks next, hopefully before the year is out. We'll post here when we do.

cool

• @snyde1 - interesting, we have already updated the mbid for that album. You can query the api using a MBID like this. I think the reason it wasn't showing up when you checked it was a caching issue. We'll look into this.

We are running a full album and track synch right now, it's going to take a few days but we'll let you know when we're done.

• snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 9 dec 2011, 02:01
    Thanks @massdosage - it's all in the timing, isn't it? B-)

Edit: Actually, I see that I had used that album previously as one that did have an MBID. That's strange, I could have sworn it didn't when I posted the second post. However, my query is answered.

• Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 14 dec 2011, 22:41
    We also hope to leverage MusicBrainz’s experience with handling artist and album disambiguation to improve how we model music on Last.fm.I'm drooling. It's been a long time suffering!

• Good news everyone!

We have completed the big update of artist, album and track MBIDs. Also, we have set up regular synchronisation to get those updates from the MusicBrainz database into our music catalogue while they're still hot.

Enjoy!

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.