Forum » Web Site Support

Plays a track I banned frequently

• Plays a track I banned frequently

I dislike "I whip my hair back and forth" by Willow Smith so I clicked to ban it... but it keeps coming back! Every time I ban it, but it plays at least once every time I come to Last.fm. Please help! This song just grates on me and I'd really like to permanently ban it from my listening. Thanks!

• Banning tracks won't ensure you never hear a track again, it lessens the chance you will hear it significantly though. If you have many banned tracks, e.g. 6 pages, and there isn't sufficient content in your library to find an alternative you might hear that banned track again.

• I also have the issue but with a single, specific track that keeps coming back (Made in Hong Kong, by Fennesz -- no offense to Fennesz!). I pay close attention to what I hear and I never get banned tracks again except for this one. Also (what suggests a track-specific bug), in the drop down menu next to the track there is no "unban" option.

• Please could you let us know on which station you heard the banned track? There might be a bug here...

• Suspect a bug, yes. It just happened when playing from the "William Basinski Radio," though when bringing up the recent track lists the Fennesz tack doesn't show anymore.

• Ack , here it goes again! (Same Fennesz track, on William Basinski Radio"). The drop-down menu offers the option to "unban" and yet it's playing!

• snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 12 jul 2011, 20:21
    intransitive said:
    Ack , here it goes again! (Same Fennesz track, on William Basinski Radio"). The drop-down menu offers the option to "unban" and yet it's playing!
    You may actually be getting Made in Hongkong - it's redirected, so you see the right name, but when it is selected in the background, the ban has not been applied to the real track.

Try using The Last.fm Mass Tagger to ban both tracks.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • Very interesting, snyde1, thank you! I installed the Mass Tagger and tried banning all the "made in hongkong" lookalikes -- this is likely to do the trick.

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 12 jul 2011, 21:30
    Nice catch. :)

re OP's problem - just want to rule this out - is it possible the track you've banned is banned, but remixes still get through?

See the tracks pages http://www.last.fm/music/Willow+Smith/+tracks?page=1

I see remixes on pages 2 and 3:
    http://www.last.fm/music/Willow+Smith/_/21st+Century+Girl+%28Kevin+Figs+Remix%29

http://www.last.fm/music/Willow+Smith/_/Whip+My+Hair+%28Kevin+Figs+Rock+Remix%29

Please could you confirm, G33kGrrly?

• The track keeps popping up on "Lady Gaga" (hey, so I like dance music! ;-)) and it definitely isn't various remixes, I've checked. At least not in general (I'm sure a couple of them must have been, but the times that I've checked it has been the original).
    Also, there's no way to ban everything by a particular artist is there? All these "GLEE" tracks are killing me.
    Thanks for the help everyone! =)

• It looks like you can ban in a massive way by using the MassTagger, as suggested by snyde1 above: search for any group (even multiple selections are possible) and then clicking "ban" should do the trick. Check here for more info.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 jul 2011, 01:58
    There are people filling the page with Willow Smith full of legends of a song of it, it's boring to go and see it every time until I am commenting.

• Thanks for the tip on that app. I'll definitely check it out.
    musfthen... I have no idea what you just said.

• Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have worked. I used it to ban everything that came up for the search "Glee" but still just got a track from "Glee Cast" which I'm sure was on the list I banned. *sigh*

EDIT: Apparently, there are more versions of their name than I'd thought. I have a feeling banning them all is going to be an all day project, but I will prevail!! ;-)

• Too bad -- misspellings and other user-made mistakes are a bit of a scourge of this site, unfortunately :(

• Yup. Definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, STILL playing that song. Now that I've been paying attention, it's this track, every time.

• LOL, I feel your pain :) (I'd rather have Fennesz' Hong Kong track come up every hour or so, I guess!). Haven't had enough time to test if I actually got rid of Fennesz, but so far it's gone.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 jul 2011, 01:51
    I'm commenting on the page that the singer Willow Smith, are part of the screw up with their song "Whip My Hair" to "WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH [2]" for example, codes and followers. It is difficult to load the page.

• musfthen, you're right about that being a major issue in general, but it doesn't appear to be in this case. Every time the song comes up I compare it to that pic up there. It's exactly the same. Very frustrating. =\

• Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 19 jul 2011, 00:09
    Looks like you need to ban Willow - Whip My Hair as well, because it redirects.

• C-Otto sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jul 2011, 09:04
    This issue seems to be very old and is not solved (I have it with "[?] - ?"). Babs_05 (or any other official person), can we get some official comment on that? Did you file a bug report so that people working on the insides of last.fm _know_ that issue? I feel ignored!

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 20 jul 2011, 09:32
    With posts from both staff and me in this thread, you can rest assured you haven't been ignored, C-Otto. ;) Yes, the issue has been forwarded to the team. I can't give you an ETA on when it will be resolved, hopefully soon, especially if it's related to current site issues. Your patience is very much appreciated.

• C-Otto sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jul 2011, 11:58
    Sorry, I did not see that staff posted here, too. And I did not see progress (mainly because the bug still persists).

To further give information: The bug frequently occurs with "[unknown] - ?" (which seems to have different versions, based on the sounds - all ugly!).

In my previous post I mentioned "[?] - ?", where I actually meant "[unknown] - ?".

• Babs_05 sa...
    • 20 jul 2011, 14:36
    C-Otto - I'm not sure I've seen your previous post. Looking at the banned tracks in your library, I'm guessing you mean some of these http://www.last.fm/music/%5Bunknown%5D/+tracks I can't give you an official comment or anything, but staff are aware. Keep banning any further tracks that come from this 'artist' and hopefully, they'll stop appearing for you eventually. It's what I would do pending further investigation. I hope this helps.

• C-Otto sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 jul 2011, 08:28
    I did not write earlier, but found posts that mentioned the problem was quite old and nothing happened.

From your list I mean track 34, which also offers me to "unban" it. The name of the song is displayed as "?".

EDIT: This song is played roughly once an hour. Very annoying. I can't remember any other song from [unknown], at least they are not played very often.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.