Forum » Web Site Support

Helvetica R.I.P.?

• Helvetica R.I.P.?

has anyone noticed today that all of the charts and your profile no long display in beautiful Helvetica? it's now in nasty Arial. i'm obviously talking about PC users here as Mac users would not have Arial installed and would have Helvetica installed. but for those PC users that know a thing or two about typography and did have Helvetica installed, the charts looked fantastic.

just checked the CSS file and now the font order goes as follows:
    Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;

would it be too much to ask to put Helvetica at the beginning of the list again?

• lozzd sa...
    • Alumni
    • 3 jan 2006, 23:53
    This was because people complained when it was the other way round!
    They really can't win here.

Want a fully customisable sig (like above?) CLICK HERE!
    Insert disclaimer here.
    • Russ sa...
    • Alumni
    • 3 jan 2006, 23:53
    Unfortunately no, because for some reason, the site looked like absolute ass on PCs with Helvetica installed (or at least a specific version). So we've had to resort to Arial as a compromise.

• ahoier sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 00:31
    damn how weird. i got the most piece of shit windows xp computer, and even it has helvetica...lol

• Shof515 sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 02:26
    i dont see no change or anything different...maybe im blind

• danny_g sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 03:53
    i'm obviously talking about PC users here as Mac users would not have Arial installed and would have Helvetica installed. but for those PC users that know a thing or two about typography and did have Helvetica installed, the charts looked fantastic.

Did you mean "Windows users"?
    Remember: PCs are not Windows machines. PC does not equal Windows.

Btw, helvetica looks fine in my PC under Linux OS but I still prefer and use [url="http://www.fonts.com/FindFonts/RecentReleases/2003/03-03-2003.htm]Linex Sans

--
    Danny G.
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 03:58

Re:

Quoth danny_g:
    i'm obviously talking about PC users here as Mac users would not have Arial installed and would have Helvetica installed. but for those PC users that know a thing or two about typography and did have Helvetica installed, the charts looked fantastic.

Did you mean "Windows users"?
    Remember: PCs are not Windows machines. PC does not equal Windows.

Btw, helvetica looks fine in my PC under Linux OS but I still prefer and use [url="http://www.fonts.com/FindFonts/RecentReleases/2003/03-03-2003.htm]Linex Sans

If you're going to get all semantics on us, Macs are PCs too, unless you consider Macs to be either not personal or not a computer.

• pererrit sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 04:55
    and uh... macs have arial...

• muz sa...
    • Alumni
    • 4 jan 2006, 08:34
    Linux sure doesn't though.

*says he as he posts from a Linux box*

• uhhh...the charts look absolutely no different to me...?
    i'm using windows 2000...

• Russ sa...
    • Alumni
    • 4 jan 2006, 11:35
    Yes. The only two sets of people who will be affected here are:

1) Windows users with the dodgy Helvetica - now the site won't look like ass.
    2) Mac users - now the site will display in Arial instead of Helvetica. Most Mac users appear to prefer Helvetica.

Most Windows users won't see any difference because most Windows users didn't have Helvetica in the first place.

• Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 12:07
    Couldn't you do OS detection based on the user agent and send Mac users a style sheet with Helvetica ahead of Arial? Not that I really care, Mac users all wear black berets and are named Raven anyhow. :p

• gerph sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 12:51

Re:

Quoth Russ:
    Yes. The only two sets of people who will be affected here are:

1) Windows users with the dodgy Helvetica - now the site won't look like ass.
    2) Mac users - now the site will display in Arial instead of Helvetica. Most Mac users appear to prefer Helvetica.

Most Windows users won't see any difference because most Windows users didn't have Helvetica in the first place.

... and users of other systems who have the font name 'Helvetica' mapped to something different to what they have the font name 'Arial' mapped to.

• Shof515 sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 15:20
    Im running Xp Pro and dont have Helvetica installed..maybe thats why i noticed no change

• Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 15:58
    If you don't like a particular font you should remove it from your system. There are four choices provided in the last.fm CSS afterall.

Mac users all wear black berets and are named Raven anyhow. :p

That's absolutely true.

• I'm amazed people notice things like that. I'm happy as long as it doesn't show as unicode gibbΔЙم๗葉erish.

All comments reflect the views of the poster and not of last.fm or it's management.

• non-specific fonts

there is a lot to be said for ridding one's css of all specific font names, and using only sans-serif, serif, and monospace -- it's almost certain to look good on every kind of browser.

designers must sacrifice their fastidiousness though. yikes!

• lozzd sa...
    • Alumni
    • 4 jan 2006, 19:15

Re:

Quoth Russ:
    now the site won't look like ass.

Hahahaahhah

Want a fully customisable sig (like above?) CLICK HERE!
    Insert disclaimer here.
    • Ufke sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 19:19
    Ah well, as long as it isn't Comic Sans.

• decklin sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 19:33
    just put something in your userContent.css (or equivalent in Safari).

--
    things change.
    • flaneur sa...
    • Alumni
    • 4 jan 2006, 19:52

Re:

Quoth Ufke:
    Ah well, as long as it isn't Comic Sans.

[makes a mental note to do this next April 1...]

• muz sa...
    • Alumni
    • 4 jan 2006, 19:54
    Haha, I actually just did GreaseMonkeyed the site into Comic Sans and my god, it's rather shite looking.

I'll post a screenshot if I stop being so lazy :)

• Ufke sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 21:20

Re: Re:

Quoth mustaqila:
    Haha, I actually just did GreaseMonkeyed the site into Comic Sans and my god, it's rather shite looking.

http://plaatjes.cigproductions.net/lastfmcomicsansed.gif

Hell yes. :P

Quoth flaneur:
    [makes a mental note to do this next April 1...]

Don't forget to make the background colour dark blue and the font colour yellow to make it completely n00bish. (y)

• Re:

Quoth mustaqila:

That's cause Comic Sans itself is complete, utter shite.

• Re:

Quoth mustaqila:

Never stop, Muz. :)

On a side note, Russ is looking a little pale.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.