Forum » Web Site Support

"your tag contains invalid characters"

• "your tag contains invalid characters"

Hi there

I just tried to tag some music using words containing some foreign characters (namely "é") and I get this error message : "your tag (...) contains invalid characters".

- does this mean that we can only use english characters in tags ?
    - is this problem going to be solved any time soon ?

I must say it would be much easier for me to use tags if I could use the language I know the best. I can write in english, but it's not a natural thing for me and sometimes I find it really difficult to find the right english word (to describe the song I want to describe).

If you want people to "go crazy with tags", restricting them to use english is a serious limitation IMHO.

• grahammm sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jan 2006, 21:18
    What character set are you using to encode the accented characters? I believe that all submissions should use UTF-8, so if you are using ISO8859-n (latin-n) then it might not work.

• Russ sa...
    • Alumni
    • 3 jan 2006, 22:39
    Yes, we only allow ASCII characters in tag names at the moment. The reasoning being that we don't have any foreign-language sites at the moment, and we're only officially targetting the english market. Allowing foreign characters in tags would just fragment and confuse tags even further (especially in cases like "j-pop").

Also, being confronted with a page full of garbage you can't read tends to be daunting.

To be honest I don't think we should have allowed spaces either.

• Re:

Quoth Russ:

To be honest I don't think we should have allowed spaces either.

That would have sucked if you had. Please don't remove the ability to use spaces in any event, I'd have to come up with single word tags for most stuff and I absolutely hate bunching words together. Yes, I also hate underscores. And CamelCase. And I don't even think you can use caps in tags.

Anyway it's good now. Thank you, please drive thru!

• johnli sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 09:39
    Why is one word a bad thing. Much more clear and concice.

• Re:

Quoth johnli:

Not if you're not genre tagging, which I don't do a whole lot anyway. I'm not supporting the long drawn out sentence-like tags but a two, three, four words tag is fine.

• Re: Re:

Quoth spacefish:
    Quoth johnli:

Not if you're not genre tagging, which I don't do a whole lot anyway.

Even if you're just genre tagging, you can have "rock opera" which is quite different from "rock" AND "opera" IMO...

• Re:

Quoth Russ:
    Yes, we only allow ASCII characters in tag names at the moment. The reasoning being that we don't have any foreign-language sites at the moment, and we're only officially targetting the english market.

Well, officially maybe, but it's quite obvious that you have people from all the world around here... (Besides, you do accept japanese yens for subscription, don't you ? ;))

Quoth Russ:
    Allowing foreign characters in tags would just fragment and confuse tags even further (especially in cases like "j-pop").

In the help section of the tag editor, one example you give for a possible tag is "singers Sarah would like". So it's clear : basically each user can have his/her own tag. I like this concept, but I think that in a way, it was meant to be "fragmented" from the start. If you don't want that, then you simply don't want people to be able to create their own tags. Allowing the use of foreign characters is about the same as allowing the use of spaces : it does not really change the problem of "fragmentation". It gives more flexibility to the user, that's all. If spaces weren't allowed, people would use underscores (or dots, dashes...) instead. The situation would basically be the same, only a bit uglier and less user-friendly. (IMHO of course)

As far as I am concerned, even if I could use foreign characters in my tags (to have some tags "my own way"), I still would be very likely to use some "standard" tags as well (to keep connected with the community).

Quoth Russ:
    Also, being confronted with a page full of garbage you can't read tends to be daunting.

It seems to me this would mainly occurr on the "tags" section of a user's profile. I don't think this would be that daunting. People are already used to find tags they don't really understand, even if they are written in perfect english.

• Re: Re: Re:

Quoth Severian427:
    Quoth spacefish:
    Quoth johnli:

Even if you're just genre tagging, you can have "rock opera" which is quite different from "rock" AND "opera" IMO...

True but then I'm not against spaces. My nick starts with one, after all. /snort ;D

• Vader94 sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 18:14

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quoth spacefish:
    Quoth Severian427:
    Quoth spacefish:
    Quoth johnli:

True but then I'm not against spaces. My nick starts with one, after all. /snort ;D

LOL!!! I wonder how many people are going to miss the joke on that one.....

Your favorite band sucks!
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.