Forum » Web Site Support

"Badly tagged" - what IS that?

• "Badly tagged" - what IS that?

Concerning the message box
    "Some tracks you submitted have not been added to your profile for the following reason:
    The track you submitted appears to be badly tagged - please check the file's tags."

Is there an explanation what makes a submission "badly tagged"?
    You say "check the file's tags" but I don't know which file and not even what to check for.
    I searched the forum and FAQ but couldn't find a hint.

• lozzd sa...
    • Alumni
    • 3 jan 2006, 11:54
    Well first of all you have to detirmine which song set off the message. Then look at the tags and post it back here.. For example songs which begin and end in () will be blocked, songs with incorrect dating, and some other things.

Want a fully customisable sig (like above?) CLICK HERE!
    Insert disclaimer here.
    • johnli sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jan 2006, 12:02
    As linked in the "Known issues" thread:

Quoth Russ:
    These are the bad artist names:

"^\\([0-9]+\\)"
    "^artist$"
    "\\.ogg$"
    "\\.mp3$"
    "\\.wav$"
    "^track [0-9]+"
    "^incomplete"
    "^novel artiste"
    "[0-9]{4}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{2} [0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}$"
    "^\\[Buffering [0-9]{0,3}%\\]"
    "http:\\/\\/"
    "^\\[[0-9]+\\]"
    "^\\([\\S\\s]+\\)$"
    "^\\[[\\S\\s]+\\]$")
    "^unknown$"
    "noartist"
    "unknown\\sartist"
    "no\\sartist"
    "various\\sartists"
    "^various$"
    "^va$"
    "^v\\/a$"

Album names:

"/^\\([0-9]+\\)/i"
    "/^albumi"
    "/^novel album/i"
    "/http:\\/\\//"
    "/^\\[[0-9]+\\]/"
    "/^\\([\\S\\s]+\\)$/"
    "/^\\[[\\S\\s]+\\]$/"
    "/unknown/i"
    "/n\\/a/i"
    "/noalbum/i"
    "/unknown\\salbum/i"
    "/no\\salbum/i"
    "/various\\salbums/i"
    "/various/i"
    "/va/i"
    "/v\\/a/i"
    "/\\-/"

Track names:

"[0-9]{4}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{2} [0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}$/"
    "- *[0-9]+ *-"
    "\\.ogg$"
    "\\.mp3$"
    "\\.wav$"
    "^Track[0-9]{1,2}"
    "^\\([0-9]{2,}\\)"
    "\\(1\\)$"
    "^\\[[0-9]+\\]"
    "^AudioTrack [0-9]+"
    "^\\([\\S\\s]+\\)$"
    "AlbumWrap"

No whitelists planned, but when I switch MBID submission back on it'll submit assuming it's MB tagged.

• Thank you for the answers.

Well first of all you have to detirmine which song set off the message.
    Well how do I do that? The message box did not tell me.

[Concerning bad artist names] As linked in the "Known issues" thread:
    Good link, but am I blind? I cannot find this link nor any other hint on it on the current thread "Known Issues (Updated 30th December)".

• Re:

Quoth Slotermeyer:

Good link, but am I blind? I cannot find this link nor any other hint on it on the current thread "Known Issues (Updated 30th December)".

it's really there... :) read "Spam Protection Stopped A Valid Submission" in Profile Issues... it links here

• muz sa...
    • Alumni
    • 3 jan 2006, 14:53
    Shall I edit the link to alternating pink-purple-yellow so it stands out more?

I'm joking. I'm not going to do that. Ever.

• it's really there... :) read "Spam Protection Stopped A Valid Submission" in Profile Issues... it links here

You're right... thanks. My brain, triggered by the message text, was looking for "bad" tags or names instead of "invalid" and probably filtered out the word "spam" as not relevant for me...

• Re:

Quoth mustaqila:
    Shall I edit the link to alternating pink-purple-yellow so it stands out more?

it still could marquee or something.

*wink*

• EilidhI sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jan 2006, 19:08
    I still don't get why blocking songs with ( )'s helps with spam protection...

• muz sa...
    • Alumni
    • 3 jan 2006, 19:10
    Some people are stupid and like to encase all their fields in many types of parenthesis so it looks "pretty" or whatever. However this really skews the data on the site for no valid reason.

• nco_ sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jan 2006, 23:32
    I never had any problem with my tags.
    And now I get all the time the box.
    But the song I'm listening to are submitting properly. I guess the box appears because my plugin tries to send the cache of those dead-server-days, but it doesn't work. No track of this period have been submitted.

I don't understand why.
    And this box is quite annoying.

Does someone gets an idea about this problem ?

(plugin : iscrobbler)

• ahoier sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 00:34
    does the submission server use filenames, or tags? cause i sometimes use the [ and ] in filesnames, but my tags are all perfected with musicbrainz tagger ^^

So yea, the solution would be to feed allll of your mp3s into/through musicbrainz.org mp3 tagger

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 01:40
    It uses tags, not filenames. You can name your files whatever you like.

• nco_, I'm having all of the exact same problems today. I'm hoping that nothing is wrong with my submissions, but my total tracks number hasn't update in a while. And yeah, I agree that seeing that box after every song I play, even the ones that successfully submit, gets a bit annoying.

Edit: Things seem okay now.

• A Small Problem...

Quoth mustaqila:
    Some people are stupid and like to encase all their fields in many types of parenthesis so it looks "pretty" or whatever. However this really skews the data on the site for no valid reason.

There just so-happens to be a Metallica song entitled "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth".

What happens with tracks like that?

• funkytom sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 19:05

Re: A Small Problem...

Quoth ToothandNail04:
    Quoth mustaqila:

There just so-happens to be a Metallica song entitled "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth".

It's not completely in brackets, so it should submit okay - as does another Metallica song, Welcome Home (Sanitarium).

• lozzd sa...
    • Alumni
    • 4 jan 2006, 19:18

Re: Re: A Small Problem...

Quoth funkytom:
    Quoth ToothandNail04:
    Quoth mustaqila:

It's not completely in brackets, so it should submit okay - as does another Metallica song, Welcome Home (Sanitarium).

Yes, exactly. An example would be, for an example, "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth (Live)" which to the system would look like its surrounded by brackets.

Want a fully customisable sig (like above?) CLICK HERE!
    Insert disclaimer here.
    • vaxis sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 19:39
    A song by Godspeed You! Black Emperornamed "09-15-00, Part One" (and Two as well) doesn't get processed. Why?
    According to MusicBrainz, it's tagged correctly :/

• I've gotten this message a couple times now, it would be nice if the system told *WHICH* song(s) were badly tagged so there is less confusion...

Want to see Last.FM relationships using your own library?
    Want a random mode based on track and artist relationships?
    Try Last.FM Node for MediaMonkey 3! Now on Build! (screenshot)
    • vaxis sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 21:52

Re:

Quoth teknojnky:
    I've gotten this message a couple times now, it would be nice if the system told *WHICH* song(s) were badly tagged so there is less confusion...

Seconded.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 22:39

Re: Re: Re: A Small Problem...

Quoth lozzd:
    Quoth funkytom:
    Quoth ToothandNail04:
    Quoth mustaqila:

Yes, exactly. An example would be, for an example, "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth (Live)" which to the system would look like its surrounded by brackets.

If you put parts of the title in round brackets, and notations like live/remix in square brackets you should be OK though, except for the very rare songs that have both a leading and trailing part of the title in brackets.

• sc-009 sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 22:45

Re: Re:

Quoth vaxis:
    Quoth teknojnky:
    I've gotten this message a couple times now, it would be nice if the system told *WHICH* song(s) were badly tagged so there is less confusion...

Seconded.

I have just sent a load of songs to Winamp/Audioscrobbler cache from my ipod using the audiopod thing and now cant tell which ones have not been received.

I played some of the ones i don't think were accepted in Winamp and they seemed to be added to my Recent Plays so it could be a problem with the audiopod stuff but its difficult to tell.

Cant a failure report be generated somewhere?

• antiphon sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 23:18

Re:

Quoth vaxis:
    A song by Godspeed You! Black Emperornamed "09-15-00, Part One" (and Two as well) doesn't get processed. Why?

Because the last.fm trackmunchers reject anything that looks like a date. The pattern is there in the list above but does look like gibberish to your average non-programmer.

I've seen people rename those couple of tracks as 09.15.00 but it's not really a recommended solution in terms of overall correctness.

• vaxis sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 23:59

Re: Re:

Quoth antiphon:
    Because the last.fm trackmunchers reject anything that looks like a date. The pattern is there in the list above but does look like gibberish to your average non-programmer.

I've seen people rename those couple of tracks as 09.15.00 but it's not really a recommended solution in terms of overall correctness.

The variant "09-15-00 (Part One)" is however supported, which can be seen on GY!BE top tracks page. Weird.

• antiphon sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jan 2006, 00:06

Re: Re: Re:

Quoth vaxis:
    Quoth antiphon:

The variant "09-15-00 (Part One)" is however supported, which can be seen on GY!BE top tracks page. Weird.

I reckon that's because Yanqui U.X.O. is streamable - spam protection doesn't count against tracks on the actual last.fm server :)

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.