Forum » Web Site Support

Why does my radio station play the same songs often?

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 apr 2011, 14:55
    Could you just kind of DELETE the complicated algorithm?

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
    • petason sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 apr 2011, 14:05

[spam]

[spam]

Redigerad av Knapster01 den 14 apr 2011, 14:17
    • Jamehij sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 apr 2011, 05:03
    They need a Random preference and a preference that plays your loved tracks more for both the library and the your mix channels. Do it now. Don't think about it, do it.

Human After All
    • Jamehij sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 apr 2011, 05:09
    Also as a side note, if you ask the system to play you a given Artists radio station, one would assume that you wanted to hear music from that artist. At least thats what I would expect. For example I was listening to 'Daft Punk' radio for the better part of my day yesterday, I got 3 tracks from the TRON album and some other artists, most of which was decent stuff. But I wanted to hear Discovery!!!!! I don't care if the TRON album is popular at present, which is how I assume the system works at present, by comparison to Discovery its as comforting as wrapping yourself in wet cardboard. Random. Fucking do it now.

Human After All
    • Jamehij sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 apr 2011, 05:16
    As a second side note. They are hiring, go work for them and tell them how to do thier jobs.

Human After All
  • Listening to Holy Ghost! - "Hold On" for 8th time + 2 times I've skipped it, means 10 times offered in 10 days.

Tracklength is also not right, says 2:13 but after that it still continues to play.

I can't be held responsable for whatever i say
    • headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 apr 2011, 08:11
    Jamehij said:
    ... if you ask the system to play you a given Artists radio station, one would assume that you wanted to hear music from that artist. At least thats what I would expect.
    The "Play 'artist' Radio" button is badly named.
    It should say "Play artists similar to 'artist' ".
    And it could add, maybe in a 'hover over' pane or footnote,
    "Due to radio licensing laws, we can’t allow for our radio streams to play tracks from one artist or album more than a certain number of times per a set time frame. For example, it’s not possible to listen to five tracks by the same artist within one hour, on the radio; this doesn’t affect previews."
    rather than seeming to bury that info in a FAQ page.

I think we need to remember(or to be reminded) that lastfm is more of a vaguely steerable radio, rather than a request radio.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 apr 2011, 18:59
    The recommended radio is definitely going pear-shaped.. I have been listening to the same tracks over and over and even when I have temporarily banned them so the algorithm would get fecked up and start playing something different.. one track played
    or attempted to play for 4 times in a row.. I banned it but it still showed up.. removed the artist from my library but the track showed up again.

I then stopped my recommended radio and started it again. Not enough content, try, try again.. oh wow what's this, again the same bloody songs, jeez I like the ones I have heard but for goodness sake, if there are other recommended artists then please let them play and give me a sodding break.

sorry about that, just had to get that off my chest.

OK had another go and for a couple of songs I got some new stuff, but as soon as
    a track came up that I had heard about 2 or 3 times already, I pressed skip and then
    got this annoying pop up

---------------------------
    Error
    Sorry, the playlist service is not responding.
    Please try again later.
    OK

Tried the http://www.last.fm/listen/user/mugshot_tim/recommended again after
    listening to my mix radio for over 8 hours. A track by Lyrics Born & The Poets of Rhythm I Changed My Mind came up so I pressed the skip button and it immediately started to play the same track again.

Edit:

Again I have just heard one new track I had not heard before and the radio stopped
    and now again I am told there is not enough content.. surely there must be something
    wrong and can it please be fixed, thanks.

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 apr 2011, 16:09
    mugshot_tim said:
    ... I have been listening to the same tracks over and over and even when I have temporarily banned them ...
    What time period would that be over?
    I've found it usually takes 24hrs before a ban takes effect. I've had some tracks which took maybe 2 weeks before the ban seemed to work.

'No content' for your recommended station must be wrong!? -I hope they sort that out for you.

I think I'd be trying friends/neighbours radios if I kept getting that. Or maybe THEIR 'recommended' station.

Or ALLneighbours radio, possibly with a tag filter e.g.
    http://www.last.fm/listen/user/mugshot_tim/neighbours/tag/hip-hop

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    • Användare
    • 29 apr 2011, 16:59
    admittedly it was only over a couple of days and I am aware of the time period for allowing bans to take effect. The problem is that when I started listening to recommends a couple of years back, I was getting new music most of the time with very little repetition occuring.

Will try a mix of ideas, the reco/tag/neighbour radios and try and mix up my listening and see what happens there. I have already got links to various libraries of friends and try and listen to those when I can.. still haven't got the Combofm to work, don't understand all the gubbings.. lol

It is a pity that the multi-artist, multi-tag radio only allows for three options, if it had
    a minimum of five then that would open up a whole new horizon for everyone.

• Användare
    • 30 apr 2011, 12:05
    This is getting to be a bit tedious, I am getting none of the artists that I have not even heard yet that are listed in the recommeded page for my profile and I am hearing
    the same stuff over and over.. I should not have to keep using specific neighbourhood or recommended + tag radio as this is a misnomer when all it does is just reverts back to the normal recommended radio playing the same tracks..oh dear I seem to have repeated that I am hearing the same tracks.. now that is annoying isn't it; hopefully the coders will understand where I am coming from and actually do something to fix this problem.. please.

OK I do get some new plays, but sometimes I am a bit hesitant to hit that love button
    as the algorithm seems to think I want to be spammed or flooded with multiple plays
    of these tracks. It would be nice to just love a track without it being played OTT.

I seem to have found a fix by removing artists that I had added from my recommends
    which showed 0 plays.. now I am getting these playing bit by bit, but I am still not
    changing my mind about the repetition which I know will occur at some point, but
    at least new stuff is being added.

• sclark13 sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 maj 2011, 16:25

I'm getting the same issues..

I've got 3,679 artists and 35k+ tracks in my library that I've played at least once or more with Last.FM scrobbling.

Somehow.. I have the same issue as everyone else here. This week I've been listening to Last.FM radio more than ever and as a result I've found certain songs coming up much more often than I'd prefer. When that happens, I get sleepy and don't get much work done :)

I'm hoping that Last.FM can address the radio repetitiveness in a future update.

• Same Problem as everyone else

I keep getting a lot of repeats over and over again

• Aaaaargh!

I get this all the time. I have over 1500 artists in my library, but only ever seem to hear the same 15 every single time I play my radio.

I really do not think this particular system is very well done at all. Ever since I've been on last.fm, there has been a repetition problem with the radio service. It's a shame because I come home in my lunch hour, switch on my 360 and play my last.fm radio station, only to hear the same songs by the same artists every day over and over again...

For randomness and the variety I actually started using the radio service for to begin with, I use Windows Media Player's randomiser function which is far more effective and a lot less predictable.

I really like last last.fm, but the radio service, by virtue of its repetition is very poor, in my opinion.

• Same problem here. Any solution?

• pcvenema sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 aug 2011, 15:25

same...here are my thoughts on it from a non-CSC perspective

I've been noticing this for some time, and it seems to be a self-perpetuating cycle. You love a track and it will play that track more often...then at a certain point it may play the next top two popular tracks by that artist. (Let's say for one artist, you love one song and it selects two additional non-loved songs). One of those three songs then get played every time the artist gets selected, which also appears to have modifiers to what artist gets selected based on track plays. As the number of plays increases, the "loved" modifier has less and less influence such that even if you unlove the track, it will still get played repeatedly. (I've experienced that).

There seem to be modifiers that increase the likely hood of a track getting played. While its nice to hear my favorite/loved tracks, I still have loads of tracks and even full albums that I've added and have never heard.

The loved modifier I can agree with, but it seems over powered at times. Looking deeper into the next most popular songs and automatically adding them to your library (supposedly after a threshold of loved track plays), I can agree with too. The artist modifier, eh, I guess I can agree with it, although it seems like a slippery slope. However, I think the "This song gets played often, thus it should get played even more!" modifier should be removed. Its what kills good songs you hear on the regular radio, it kills songs you hear on the Last.fm radio.

Edit:

It seems that the radio resorts to playing well-played songs when you hit "Skip". My radio had just played a new song, and was playing another new song that I didn't care for at the moment and it went straight to a Top 50 ever played song. The new songs had played after playing maybe 10 straight songs...I didn't keep track.

It seems that for the moment, one method may be to avoid using the "Skip" as much as possible.

• Re: same...here are my thoughts on it from a non-CSC perspective

pcvenema said:

It seems that for the moment, one method may be to avoid using the "Skip" as much as possible.

I'm not sure this actually helps.

I am guilty of using the Skip button simply because it's either that or listen to the same stuff over and over. In short: if I don't skip, it repeats songs and artists. If I do skip, it still repeats songs and artists anyway!

At least with skipping, I can say "Oh FFS, not this song again!" and force it to play something else.

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 aug 2011, 16:20

tag radios

I've built up 31 different tag radios. One for each day of the month. About 100 tracks in each at the moment.
    Yes, I start to get repeats after a few hours but at least each day they are different repeats!

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
  • Please, Last.fm, don't give up on this over-play problem!

I've paid to subscribe for years and have invested many hours into my large library. But I'm losing patience. I am so tired of hearing the same handful of loved songs repeating EVERY DAY when I play my library. The problem seems to be getting worse.

I am not a top 40 radio kind of guy. I want to explore the many un-played songs in my library. So when I play my library and it feels like I've turned on a repeating radio station, I feel quite ready to jump to the next available alternative. How sad it would be to discard this library, and for Last..fm to discard paying customers. Please fix this.

• I have 3700 music artists in my library, for a total of 203 pages of thumbnails. Of those 203 pages, 192 pages are all played artists. Or better put; of my 3700 music artists, only 200 have never played in my radios.

I do get some repeats, but for me it is not bad at all. There really isn't a great solution to this, except making customized tag radios and play those, instead of playing your entire library. This is a real chore to get started, but I have found it to be very much worth the long effort.

When I want to hear some obscure tracks, I tag them with tag and then play that tag radio, or tag, just as examples. You can see some of my Artist Tag Radios in my signature.

Basically, I can play any of my 60 playable tag radios on any given day - This changes it up quite nicely and I am able to hear all the streamable music artists in my library anytime I like.

If anyone needs some help with how this works, visit this group for members support: Tag Rescue Project.

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 sep 2011, 20:10

Re: Please, Last.fm, don't give up on this over-play problem!

ericporcher said: I am so tired of hearing the same handful of loved songs repeating EVERY DAY when I play my library. The problem seems to be getting worse.It seems unlikely anything will ever come from the lastfm end.
    They really shouldn't have called it a 'library. It is really a catalogue of what we've heard. And the algorithm is a computer told to please you with tunes you appear to like.

Have you seen tburney's Combofm Supposed to enable you to choose 'obscure' tracks I think. -I got it to work once but then I seem to have broken something.

I ban overheard tracks -but always put a tag on them first.
    But it is a pain & at the moment I've got a backlog of tracks to unban!

Also it might help to 'unlove' the tracks you get too frequently -and 'love' the tracks you don't get enough. But don't expect instant results -give it two or three weeks to take effect.
    If you need to keep a record of tracks you do love, maybe use a tag on them.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
  • [spam]

[spam]

Redigerad av Knapster01 den 6 sep 2011, 11:11
  • I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue... I was a bit worried. I switched to the mix radio for now, and maybe my Library radio will change? I dunno.

• jl2paul sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 sep 2011, 12:48

Same here...

Just want to add to this. I've been a subscriber for 2 days. The first day was great, but this morning my 'station' played the exact same playlist as yesterday. It even tried to play the same song twice in one hour. I have 171 artists in my library and most of them have 0 plays so this doesn't make any sense.

There should be an option to tweak the % of 'unheard' music that you want to hear. I'll give it a few more days- but if it continues to play the same songs every day I won't be renewing my subscription.

• xroni909 sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 sep 2011, 14:51
    I'm hearing a lot of the same stuff. My loved tracks seem to come back every day until I am sick and tired of them. In my desktop player (Quod Libet) I can choose to give more weight to songs that have fewer play counts, or progressively more weight the more time has passed since the last play. This works pretty well, it takes months before I hear the same songs again.

In any case it is not because I love a track that I want to hear it more often. I hope that these loved tracks help in determining my taste and give better results in discovering new music.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.