Forum » Web Site Support

Ads on my profile

• Ads on my profile

An ad for elton john just popped up between Recent Tracks and Recent Journals.

I assume this is going to be the norm unless we pay?

Hello world
    • Feanor sa...
    • 12 nov 2005, 03:18

Re: Ads on my profile

Quoth jesscal11:
    I assume this is going to be the norm unless we pay?

Yes, it's been like that for ages

If you're a Kiwi, please join the Hurrah for Kiwialism group | Groups for cool people:this this this this
  • Weird, this is the first time i've ever seen one and I go to last.fm 20 times a day or more.

Hello world
  • It's standard for free accounts. I think for browsing other people's profiles, you get a banner, and for your own profile, you get "Ads by Google", but I'm not sure it's a rule.

You only just got them for the first time?!

• ahoier sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 nov 2005, 04:31
    browsers like firefox have stuff to block ads, so maybe it's that? :(

• no, firefox blocks popups, not ads.

i use firefox and i've been seeing them for awhile, though i have noticed in certain sites with certain computers ads by google don't show up, regardless of browser.

• well, for 10 cents a day you can block it permanently in any browser on any platform :)

• lozzd sa...
    • Alumni
    • 12 nov 2005, 13:25

Re:

Quoth moonlight:
    no, firefox blocks popups, not ads.

i use firefox and i've been seeing them for awhile, though i have noticed in certain sites with certain computers ads by google don't show up, regardless of browser.

No, with Adblock firefox blocks ads very well

Want a fully customisable sig (like above?) CLICK HERE!
    Insert disclaimer here.
    • Russ sa...
    • Alumni
    • 12 nov 2005, 13:44
    I don't believe we've changed the ad placement in a while...

• Re:

Quoth moonlight:

WRONG!
    First you need to download the Adblock extension. Then you can right click on a banner/ad and block it.

• haha, i was just talking about firefox as you first get it.

• muz sa...
    • Alumni
    • 12 nov 2005, 20:49

Re: Re:

Quoth Starblubber:
    Quoth moonlight:

WRONG!
    First you need to download the Adblock extension. Then you can right click on a banner/ad and block it.

Firefox comes with the ability to block images from a certain host when you first install it without the adblock extension

• ahoier sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 nov 2005, 04:08
    Windows also comes with a free feature, called the HOSTS File which does a good job at blocking ads.

Though, I love google ads, so those aren't blocked. DoubleClick/Gator/MediaClick/etc though, pfft, all those gets blocked ASAP :P

• lozzd sa...
    • Alumni
    • 13 nov 2005, 11:27
    Hehe, you love google ads? :\

Want a fully customisable sig (like above?) CLICK HERE!
    Insert disclaimer here.
  • they are quite amusing some of the time.

• ahoier sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 nov 2005, 00:47
    What I meant, is I don't mind clicking them :P They aren't that big, they aren't flashy and animated and scrolling with my screen as I scroll, so yea, ill click them occasionally.

besides, google already knows all about me through my e-mail accounts.

• ads

shouldn't we get the option of not having any ads at all on our individual pages? and if not, why shouldn't the ad revenue from any individual page go to that individual? isn't this the principle that guides the major blogs services?

• dscheidt sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 jan 2006, 03:34

Re: ads

Quoth crankeley:
    shouldn't we get the option of not having any ads at all on our individual pages?

You do. Pay last.fm ten cents a day.

• slowjamz sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 jan 2006, 03:51
    When my free subscription thing wore off I was like 'WTF ads?' haha, I had forgotten that there were ads at all...it doesn't bother me at all though.

• Russ sa...
    • Alumni
    • 27 jan 2006, 11:39

Re: ads

Quoth crankeley:
    shouldn't we get the option of not having any ads at all on our individual pages? and if not, why shouldn't the ad revenue from any individual page go to that individual? isn't this the principle that guides the major blogs services?

What? We should pay you for the privilege of having you on our site? We are trying to not go bankrupt here...

• I like his idea. Maybe as well any subscription fee I pay, gets doubled and paid back to me for being such a generous bloke.

How about every track I listen to, you pay me a pound for the honour of collecting my statistics. Think last.fm owe me about £7000 now. Whooopie!

• I never knew there were ads here.

All comments reflect the views of the poster and not of last.fm or it's management.

• russ,
    that is kind of a misleading response. since if i collected simply the revenue from the ads, this would be paid by Google, not last.fm. also, if opting out of ads was an option, no revenue would be generated. the absense of revenue is not the same as being paid by someone.

the site has expenses, i understand that. but should you be so smug when asking if we deserve to be paid? last.fm has essentially made all of its users "employees," in that ad revenue for last.fm is based specifically on content that we ourselves have generated. ads in user profiles commonly reflect specific bands that users have listened to. thus, our listening habits are the "work" that we do to keep the engine of last.fm running via ad revenue. interestingly, no ads or very few ads occur on public pages where it might make sense to include them, especially the charts pages.

so, while i appreciate your services, this should hardly be viewed as a one-way street. our listening habits and user data certainly influence last.fm's relationship in the larger music industry, and it seems as if the need to "mine" this information is a full time job.

respectfully,
    crank

• mortstar sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 jan 2006, 18:38

Re:

Quoth crankeley:
    russ,
    that is kind of a misleading response. since if i collected simply the revenue from the ads, this would be paid by Google, not last.fm. also, if opting out of ads was an option, no revenue would be generated. the absense of revenue is not the same as being paid by someone.

the site has expenses, i understand that. but should you be so smug when asking if we deserve to be paid? last.fm has essentially made all of its users "employees," in that ad revenue for last.fm is based specifically on content that we ourselves have generated. ads in user profiles commonly reflect specific bands that users have listened to. thus, our listening habits are the "work" that we do to keep the engine of last.fm running via ad revenue. interestingly, no ads or very few ads occur on public pages where it might make sense to include them, especially the charts pages.

so, while i appreciate your services, this should hardly be viewed as a one-way street. our listening habits and user data certainly influence last.fm's relationship in the larger music industry, and it seems as if the need to "mine" this information is a full time job.

respectfully,
    crank

You're an arse mate.

If you actually believe what you are arguing for I'm going to assume that you have never actually stepped out of your life into the real world.

I'm definately not one for "flamming" people, but your posts are actually insulting to the guys at last.fm who work full time to get this amazing service up and running.

Maybe you could even subcribe so that people like me don't have to pay for your bandwidth and server time.

• Isdaron sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 jan 2006, 19:16

Re:

Quoth crankeley:

This is an interesting point of view, and while I doubt that it will work (it reminds me on the "get-paid-to-view-ads-programs during the heydays of the new economy), the fact remains that the "listening habits content" is generated by the user.

But is this really worth something? Looking at the sociodemographic infos on last.fm users (in the labels section), it hardly is - at least today: The userbase is predominantly male and young - so mining this stuff makes only sense for certain target demographics (e. g. consulting to the label of Radiohead, what might make a good compilation :-)

The idea, that you should be able to make money from your user data, however is okay IMO. Why don't you simply take the RSS/HTML feeds, put up your own music site, include Google ads and drive loads of traffic to you? That would allow you to make money from your data - if there's any money in that (I haven't looked at your profile to see if your taste is so spectacular :-)

However, the argument that last.fm should pay you, is of course nonsene - you provide the data, but not the service. You can exploit the data yourself, that's why there's the web service stuff (though you should check the licensing stuff related to this...)

Best, Bjoern

If you're into smooth Hip Hop with funky beats, join us in the Jazz Hop Group.
    Listening to fine lyricists like The Roots, Guru's Jazzmatazz, A Tribe Called Quest et al.
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.