Forum » Web Site Support

reassigning wrong streams : mistagged tracks/albums/artists

• fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2008, 11:03

reassigning wrong streams : mistagged tracks/albums/artists

apr 9 2009 update:
    this thread was started for the purpose of reporting tracks which stream the wrong music. examples include, but are not limited to:

- tracks within the same album that don't match the actual streams (wrong sequence);

- the wrong version of a track being streamed where these versions have clearly distinct and valid track titles, as opposed to last.fm's present practice of pooling together and rotating different versions of the same song by the same artist (eg studio vs live vs different arrangement) under the same title;

- tracks attributed to one artist that actually stream the same song performed by another, eg
    Up on the Roof (attributed to Carole King) streams
    Up on the Roof by Little Eva instead;

- unrelated tracks that are somehow randomly mixed up, eg
    You Are My Sunshine (Rob Mcconnell) streams
    Lullaby Of The Leaves (The Singers Unlimited);

some of these cases may spontaneously rectify themselves occasionally and then regress to their wrong state, while others remain wrongly assigned throughout. it's not clear why this happens, but it does.

also check this out:
    Boulevard of Broken Streams
    (no, it isn't a new green day song.)

it should be noted that this thread is a totally different issue than that of auto-correction. note staff comment posted here.

for auto-correction issues, you may post your reports to:
    The Auto-Correct Correction Brigade

while this thread is useful for reporting cases, it is also good to tag affected tracks appropriately so they can be gathered into the same tag page, to facilitate future reference by staff.

there are some tags that are already being used fairly often, like , , and , but because they're also being used for other unrelated purposes (and because the term "mistagged" is starting to sound a bit ambiguous here), i would also propose another, more clearly labeled, tag:

for your own reference, it is also useful to tag the wrongly assigned track with the actual song/artist that's streaming if you know it.

there are 2 albums by Lisa Stansfield whose songs are horribly, horribly mistagged. i've explained the problem as best i can in the following 2 journals:

Affection - see here for correctly tagged tracks;

Face Up (2001) – Lisa Stansfield;

and hope someone will take the matter up and fix the bad tags. more will follow, these are just the first. thks.

rectified - for the moment...

U.G.L.Y. - changing the face of music, one artist at a time.
    there are some things pngs can't fix. for everything else, there's pngoptimizer.
    Redigerad av fmera den 18 maj 2009, 06:01
    • maplejet sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2008, 16:01
    It's been said several times...once musicbrainz integration is activated, this will be fixed...but who knows when that'll be done...perhaps an alternative strategy can be used while waiting for integration.

• fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2008, 16:24
    perhaps i should've posted this bit:

mustaqila said:
    2) Tracks which need renaming, as in misspelt words, or trailing stuff that needs changing/removing, cannot be done per se. Instead, ensure your songs tags are correct. If the song is streamable, the streamable file can be reassigned from one song to another.

which suggests it is possible.

but who knows when that'll be done...
    precisely.

there are some things pngs can't fix. for everything else, there's pngoptimizer.
    • galeote sa...
    • Alumni
    • 8 maj 2008, 17:09
    Rejoyce, we happen to have a tool for this in.. pre-alpha? It's not totally automated yet but easier to use at least. I'll fix these two. Thanks.

Peli-ca-nó
    con
    rue-das
    • fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2008, 19:53
    galeote said:
    Rejoyce, we happen to have a tool for this in.. pre-alpha? It's not totally automated yet but easier to use at least. I'll fix these two. Thanks.

no – thank you. pre-alpha? hope it's stable. :)

• Fulvian sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2008, 22:13

How About This

Embrace The Storm

01. Stream of Passion - Deceiver (Spellbound)
    02. Stream of Passion - Haunted (Passion)
    03. Stream of Passion - I'll Keep On Dreaming (Deceiver)
    04. Stream of Passion - Open Your Eyes (I'll Keep On Dreaming)
    05. Stream of Passion - Passion (Haunted)
    06. Stream of Passion - Spellbound (Wherever You Are)
    07. Stream of Passion - Wherever You Are (Wherever You Are)
    08. Stream of Passion - Breathing Again (Embrace the Storm)
    09. Stream of Passion - Calliopeia (Breathing Again)
    10. Stream of Passion - Embrace the Storm (Out in the Real World)
    11. Stream of Passion - Nostalgia (Nostalgia)
    12. Stream of Passion - Out In The Real World (Calliopeia)

The correct track titles are the ones in the brackets,

Track 6 and track 7 are both the same file (Wherever You Are), so the streaming file for "Open Your Eyes" is missing :(

• fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 maj 2008, 19:25

Re: reassigning mistagged tracks

fmera said:
    there are 2 albums by Lisa Stansfield whose songs are horribly, horribly mistagged. i've explained the problem as best i can in the following 2 journals:

Affection - see here for correctly tagged tracks;

Face Up (2001) – Lisa Stansfield;

and hope someone will take the matter up and fix the bad tags. more will follow, these are just the first. thks.

adding another journal to the list above:

Lisa Stansfield (2003) – Lisa Stansfield

updated details of mistagged tracks can be found in the 3 journals, but the short of it is that - aside from a few odd singles - it's basically a 3-way mix-up between 3 particular album pages:

mistagged songs streaming in the Affection page belong in the Lisa Stansfield page;
    mistagged songs streaming in the Lisa Stansfield page belong in the Face Up page; and
    mistagged songs streaming in the Face Up page belong in the Affection page;

@galeote - hope that's clear enough to work on, thks.

• fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 maj 2008, 16:19
    galeote said:

possibly all of the above by this weekend?

it has been a week. thanks.

• galeote sa...
    • Alumni
    • 16 maj 2008, 09:35
    We can change common mistaggings such as Album Version etc. but not these other issues, at least by now. They will be fixed later with moderation and fingerprinting.

Peli-ca-nó
    con
    rue-das
    • fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 maj 2008, 11:02
    galeote said:
    We can change common mistaggings such as Album Version etc. but not these other issues, at least by now. They will be fixed later with moderation and fingerprinting.

but you said earlier that you could fix it. i just thought with all the input i took the time and trouble to provide, you could at least do something in the interim. well, if i misread you, sorry.

• galeote sa...
    • Alumni
    • 16 maj 2008, 12:08
    The first 2 albums you provided had (Album Version) or similar suffixes appended to the titles, which is what the tool can clean automatically (also LP Version, Single Version, etc.) at the moment.

The other issues are different in each case, so they must be fixed manually, which apart of very time consuming isn't safe nor reliable. Instead of fixing individual cases we're investing that time building a good moderation system, integrate fingerprints and musicbrainz etc. Thanks.

Peli-ca-nó
    con
    rue-das
    • fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 maj 2008, 08:27
    galeote said:
    The other issues are different in each case, so they must be fixed manually, which apart of very time consuming isn't safe nor reliable. Instead of fixing individual cases we're investing that time building a good moderation system, integrate fingerprints and musicbrainz etc. Thanks.

galeote - i don't mean to belabor this issue, but i don't believe i've read of any other reported cases of such an occurrence of similar magnitude that this particular case is being sought to be given preference over. so i'm asking again for an exception to be made to fix this pronto. i'm also not clear why you say it isn't safe nor reliable to do so. by that you mean the info i provided you?

in any case, please take a quick look at this page. it lists all but 2 of the original tracks from the Affection album. study the listener and playcount data: a paltry 3 listeners at most, and a total playcount of only 221 for 11 tracks - in all the time that this album was available on the site! this is widely considered to be lisa stansfield's best-selling album, for goodness sake. so how could this be? because the tracks had all been mistagged and left languishing in a page which half-mistakenly attributes the tracks to the team of Andy Morris; Ian Devaney; Lisa Stansfield (yes, that Lisa Stansfield), and are presently as good as non-existent to everybody except those 3 listeners (of which i am one), while on the Affection album page, only 1 out of 13 tracks is correctly tagged.

please, fix the problem already.

(edit: forgot to say thanks. thanks.)

Redigerad av fmera den 22 maj 2008, 16:28
    • hallmt18 sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 maj 2008, 14:26
    fmera -

I am having a similar problem. My band, The Thumbs, has a cd called "Make America Strong." Some label from NY apparently loaded one of their CDs onto the system, and apparently mistagged it as the Thumbs Make America Strong. So now, every time a "Thumbs" song pops up, it's a total misrepresentation. I'm not sure why Last-FM can't just delete all tracks from "Make America Strong." They have been unhelpful and nonresponsive.

It's extremely frustrating. They don't seem to care.
    hallmt18

fmera said:
    galeote - i don't mean to belabor this issue, but i don't believe i've read of any other reported cases of such an occurrence of similar magnitude that this particular case is being sought to be given preference over. so i'm asking again for an exception to be made to fix this pronto. i'm also not clear why you say it isn't safe nor reliable to do so. by that you mean the info i provided you?

in any case, please take a quick look at this page. it lists all but 2 of the original tracks from the Affection album. study the listener and playcount data: a paltry 3 listeners at most, and a total playcount of only 221 for 11 tracks - in all the time that this album was available on the site! this is widely considered to be lisa stanfield's best-selling album, for goodness sake. so how could this be? because the tracks had all been mistagged and left languishing in a page which half-mistakenly attributes the tracks to the team of Andy Morris; Ian Devaney; Lisa Stansfield (yes, that Lisa Stansfield), and are presently as good as non-existent to everybody except those 3 listeners (of which i am one), while on the Affection album page, only 1 out of 13 tracks is correctly tagged.

please, fix the problem already.

(edit: forgot to say thanks. thanks.)

• fmera said:
    i'm also not clear why you say it isn't safe nor reliable to do so. by that you mean the info i provided you?

I don't think that's it. Last.fm is currently fixing their database to allow for fixing track info but in the meantime there isn't really a fix other than elimination.

hallmt18: Are you saying this album is incorrect?
    http://www.last.fm/music/The+Thumbs/Make+America+Strong

It just seems weird that another label would upload a CD with the same artist, album, and track names to displace the tracks your band put up.

All comments reflect the views of the poster and not of last.fm or it's management.

• fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 maj 2008, 20:00
    Kerensky97 said:
    I don't think that's it. Last.fm is currently fixing their database to allow for fixing track info but in the meantime there isn't really a fix other than elimination.

elimination? sorry kerensky, i don't understand what you mean.

edit: as in eeny-meeny-mynee-mo? :p

• galeote sa...
    • Alumni
    • 23 maj 2008, 09:56
    @fmera-, It's not safe nor reliable because it boils down to a human performing a good deal of manual tasks on live systems. The risk is not so much damaging that artist's catalogue, but all the rest. This is why we try to build some automated tools do cleanup jobs properly. When it is possible. There is nothing we can automate in this case so we need a moderation system that, as I said, is being developed.

Although I understand it is annoying, the fact is that fixing one occurrence while we have labels deliver mistagged stuff at will is saving the Titanic with a teaspoon. The 5 major labels being the iceberg. Really, it's useless, let us spend the time closing the leak, and getting big pumps.

@hallmt18, drop an email to labels@last.fm or ask in the labels forum (http://last.fm/forum/6666). they'll be able to sort that out for you.

Peli-ca-nó
    con
    rue-das
    • fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 maj 2008, 11:18
    galeote said:
    @fmera-, It's not safe nor reliable because it boils down to a human performing a good deal of manual tasks on live systems. The risk is not so much damaging that artist's catalogue, but all the rest. This is why we try to build some automated tools do cleanup jobs properly. When it is possible. There is nothing we can automate in this case so we need a moderation system that, as I said, is being developed.

Although I understand it is annoying, the fact is that fixing one occurrence while we have labels deliver mistagged stuff at will is saving the Titanic with a teaspoon. The 5 major labels being the iceberg. Really, it's useless, let us spend the time closing the leak, and getting big pumps.

ok, i get it. can't say i didn't try, though... :/

thks all the same.

• wrong tracks being streamed in the air

x-ref from another thread where I was suggested to refer to this one, so here I am:

wrong tracks being streamed in the air

a brief resume:
    ---
    * there are quite a few streamable tracks in the air which don't belong to the artists they're attached to (example in the linked thread).

* I'd love to see a simple interface just to flag (sic!, not edit) such wrong tracks, so that a system/staff could keep tabs on those (once they reach a certain [reasonable] threshold for example).

ideally, I'm thinking about a button which pops up a simple dialog with several checkboxes (it should be obligatory to check at least one of those to submit a form) and an optional field to provide a correct attribute value (in case user may have some ideas about it):

Why do you believe this track is incorrect?

* wrong artist
    * wrong title
    * wrong album

thank you.

PS
    btw, even affiliate links ("Buy Track") for such wrong tracks don't work as well ;-)

confusion will be my epitaph...
    • fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 jun 2008, 09:24
    there is also a possible predicament even after this is all eventually sorted out by the fingerprinting/moderation etc. - how will the previous erroneous playcounts be resolved?

to give an example:

track 'a' of artist 'x' is mistagged as track 'b' on the server/database, and so has been scrobbled all this while as such, but it is (more likely than not) actually track 'b' if scrobbled from a user's local library. how will you tell them apart? or doesn't it matter? (fwiw, it does to me, at least.)

and when track 'a' of artist 'x' is wrongly attributed to artist 'y', as in yohanpalych's example above, the implication is even greater, as it will impact artist rankings.

• One I can immediately think of is:

L7 - Shitlist (Soundtrack Version (Explicit)) (mistagged, yet streamable)

L7 - Shitlist (the correct tag, but not streamable. Also, this track should be assigned to the album Bricks Are Heavy instead of the other one)

source: back cover of the album from discogs.com

• I guess the following couldn't be changed at the moment, but I will still provide the info:

Jane Birkin Et Serge Gainsbourg - je t'aime...moi non plus (mistagged, yet streamable)

Jane Birkin Et Serge Gainsbourg - Je T'Aime... Moi Non Plus (the correct tag, but not streamable. Also it should be written as "Je t'aime... moi non plus" -all in lower case except the "J" in the beginning-)

Les Rita Mitsouko - Marcia Baila (mistagged, yet streamable)

Les Rita Mitsouko - Marcia Baïla (the correct tag, but not streamable. Also, this track is assigned to the compilation album Bestov Les Rita Mitsouko, which has a terribly corrupted cover art here on last.fm. It is originally on Rita Mitsouko. Is at least a change on the priority of albums possible, so I (we) won't have that terrible cover art on our page?)

Les Rita Mitsouko - C'est Comme Ca (mistagged, yet streamable)

Les Rita Mitsouko - C'est comme ça (the correct tag, but not streamable. Also, it has the same problem with the assigned album and the cover art as above. It is originally on The No Comprendo)

The Cardigans - Erase-Rewind and The Cardigans - Erase / Rewind (both mistagged, yet streamable)

The Cardigans - Erase/Rewind (the correct tag, but not streamable. Also, this track should be assigned to the album Gran Turismo)

• ... and last, but not the least, the never ending problem with Róisín Murphy... The streamable versions of her songs are assigned to the mistagged artist Roisin Murphy, which only helps the growing number of mistagged scrobbles.

• Straight Outta Lynwood by Weird Al also has this problem. All the songs are tagged with "(Main Version)" and some songs (aka the parodies) with "(Parody Of "Original Song" By Original Artist)".

Animutation and Youtube Poop
    Science

10100.0101ᵩ = 1010₂ = 101₃ = 22₄ = 20₅ = 14₆ = 13₇ = 12₈ = 11₉ = 10₁₀ = A₁₁

1000010.010001ᵩ = 10100₂ = 202₃ = 110₄ = 40₅ = 32₆ = 26₇ = 24₈ = 22₉ = 20₁₀ = 19₁₁

• fmera sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jun 2008, 02:11
    @fredvomjupiter: i think for the most part, you're barking up the wrong thread; this one's for tracks that have been wrongly assigned other track titles.

you might want to try this thread instead, where the mods are doing a fantastic job. although your examples appear to be more tricky than just a case of upper/lower case errors, they can at least be partially fixed over there. but accents cannot be fixed for now.

would also help if you organize everything into a neat list to make it easier for the mods to edit. see examples in that other thread.

'corrupted' cover art appears to have originated from amazon. cover art probably can only be fixed by record label too.

however - and this concerns TheLight6 too - suffixes like "(Soundtrack Version (Explicit))" and "(Main Version)" may be fixable. read galeote's post above (dated 16 May 2008, 12:08)

• I'm terribly sorry. I thought this was about transferring the streamable data from one track to another (if it's possible)...

Anyway, then I would like to mention these tracks, qouting from another post of mine on this thread:
    http://www.last.fm/forum/21713/_/398972

fredvomjupiter said:
    Three other examples:

Luka I'm not sure what's the track on last.fm radio, but it's definitely not "Luka"...

Tropical Hot Dog Night It's "Owed t'Alex" by Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band playing instead of "Tropical Hot Dog Night"...

Wasteland It's their cover version of "1969" that's playing. I think this is caused by this compilation: The Best oF The Mission UK It's mixed up with Resurrection: Greatest Hits.

In addition to these; Friday Night, Saturday Morning is definitely not "Friday Night, Saturday Morning", but "War Crimes"... The problem is caused by this compilation: The Singles Collection... The track list is correct (even though some are mistagged), but the songs are from this compilation. Unfortunately, "Friday Night, Saturday Morning" is lost, because Ghost Town is streaming for both Stereotype and for the correct song.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.