Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Blatant abuse of moderator powers

• Lemau sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jun 2012, 09:31

Blatant abuse of moderator powers

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I honestly don't enjoy foruming very much, but this is something that I just can't let go. I play a lot of Audition Online, a dance game, and have a lot of tracks that I (occasionally) scrobble. Some of the tracks that the game involves are made by the Audition team themselves, and thus have Audition listed as artist. From time to time I end up lurking random Last.fm pages, and in January I came across the Audition artist page, where was stated:

It may also be an incorrect artist tag for the soundtrack to an online game in the rhythm-action genre. If so, do Last.fm and yourself a favour and fix your tags.

I found this statement very rude, but as I said before, tracks made by the team themselves indeed do have Audition listed as their artist. I decided to finally make my contribution to the Last.fm wiki and partially put back (and modified) the reference to the game, and removed the claim that one had to fix their tags. As motivation for my edit, I put in:

Put back Audition (Audition Online) as an artist (albeit slightly edited to better reflect the facts). Please do not remove if you do not know your facts.

Granted, not exactly the most politically correct way to put this, in retrospect, but I meant no offense.

The previous user (liftarn) proceeded in completely ignoring the motivation and my contribution and reverted back to his previous version, and to add insult to injury, he used his moderator powers to lock the page (which now once more contains the faulty information and the statement to fix my tags).

I find this a blatant abuse of moderator powers and hereby request the unlocking (and subsequent reverting to version 10) of this page, or a decent explanation why Audition (Online) should not be added as an artist, but in that case I still request the rephrasing/removal of the demand to "fix" my tags.

Thank you.

Lemau

♥Shampoo♥
    • Babs_05 sa...
    • 1 jun 2012, 11:01
    You said in your post that "The game has released several dedicated tracks (and remixes) for their game under the artist “Audition”, although several other tracks were liscensed from other artists." If this is the case, the tags are indeed incorrect, it should be artist - track (Audition remix). Please see What are the guidelines for correcting artist and track names?

If there are original songs (not remixes) by this artist "Audition", please can you provide a legitimate source.

• Lemau sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jun 2012, 16:25
    I said tracks AND remixes. As for legitimate sources, I'd say play the game, or watch some of the footage from the game. For example,

(Ooh! Nifty! YouTube embedding. Nice! *_*)

The music might be a little unlikable, but take note of the teeeeeny tiny letters in the lower left hand corner (in this case Music: Audition - Queen of Dancing). Would this be legitimate enough?

#ED: Ok, it's embedded in perfectly unreadable 240px, but if you switch to 360, it's more or less readable. XD

On request I can also capture a vid on higher res myself.

♥Shampoo♥
  • Is there anything in the game credits which mentions composer? Usually video game scores do, for example Jeremy Soule.

• Lemau sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jun 2012, 21:02
    I can't seem to find any credits in-game, unfortunately. Because of an issue with people ripping the songs from the game, they removed the big playlist from the game, now all that remains is the song-chooser in-game, which basically lists 6-7 songs per page (partially ones with Audition as artist) out of some 100-150 songs...

Since its creation, Audition has branched into multiple versions, like Redbana, SEA (which does contain SOME info and screenshots about the music (with Audition listed as artist) and AuditionEU, which is hosted from a site that hosts a variety of games and isn't very informative about Audition in particular.

Other than that I could link to roughly 10 (illegal) download sites, which I think I'll refrain from, but those sites all list Audition as artist for a variety of the songs (and proper credit where Audition bought them from others to play in-game).

♥Shampoo♥
    • Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 5 jun 2012, 02:56
    No luck here. I found an example where Amazon only calls the artist V.A. (various artists).

Your best option might be to ask the Audition team who composes the tracks. Or whether they consider 'Audition' to be the official music project that multiple Audition employees collaborate under.

Don't worry too much about the wiki, just enjoy the music!

• I know nothing of the example issue, but "do Last.fm and yourself a favour and fix your tags" is a quite aggressive statement if indeed a moderator added that, even if they're in the right. I've noticed a few examples around the site of stuff like that, and I'd always hoped it was just overbearing users and not staff doing it.

Rather than just tell people to 'fix' or 'clean' their tags all the time, it would be better to try to educate them on what they've done that's wrong. Alternatively, if corrections were enhanced to allow manual corrections later on and so forth, then tagging would be much less of an issue.

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 jun 2012, 10:38
    DHedley said:
    ...it would be better to try to educate them on what they've done that's wrong.
    +1

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
  • I know nothing of the example issue, but "do Last.fm and yourself a favour and fix your tags" is a quite aggressive statement if indeed a moderator added that, even if they're in the right.

Rather than just tell people to 'fix' or 'clean' their tags all the time, it would be better to try to educate them on what they've done that's wrong.

Yeah, I'm not really happy with "Fix your tags!" either.

Something like:

Help keep Last.fm stats clean! Please put the correct artist name in your file's ID3 tags to avoid incorrect or duplicate artists. For best results visit musicbrainz.org

...is somewhat better, but still ambiguous if a user doesn't know what an ID3 tag is. Musicbrainz.org is an excellent site, but just sending people there without any further instruction probably isn't helpful.

I'm thinking of writing a short FAQ entry which covers:

• Why users post this message / why clean data is important / beneficial
    • A very simple guide on how users can update their tags, linking to musicbrainz picard for more advanced users.
    • Examples of acceptable and unacceptable wording for these artist pages, for those who insist on posting "Fix your tags" messages and images. Including moderators.

This faq could then be linked to those pages, so members could get practical help and guides on updating their tags, instead of bluntly being accused of being incompetent for simply listening to music on their computer.

Any feedback or suggestions at this point would be useful - particularly if someone has already written a 'beginners guide to tagging'.

EDIT: Another complication is the words 'tag' and 'tagging' - given that we use these interchangeably between last.fm tags, and ID3 tags. So that needs to be clarified for new users as well, to prevent further confusion.

Is it Christmas yet?
    http://www.last.fm/christmas
    • Lemau sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 jun 2012, 20:18
    Bloopy said:
    No luck here. I found an example where Amazon only calls the artist V.A. (various artists).

Your best option might be to ask the Audition team who composes the tracks. Or whether they consider 'Audition' to be the official music project that multiple Audition employees collaborate under.

Don't worry too much about the wiki, just enjoy the music!

Yeah, I guess I gotta know when to just give up. To be honest I was expecting more of a "QQ n00b, mods=gods" response, ergo I'm really pleased with the responses I got and, frankly even though this issue isn't really resolved, I'm grateful. Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that bit about fixing tags was at least a little bit offensive.

Although I haven't found a reason to change my MP3 tags. The game itself (I can recommend it if you're into dance games!) lists all numbers by artist - number, and I intend to keep my tags as the game intended.

♥Shampoo♥
    • liftarn sa...
    • Wiki Moderator
    • 11 jun 2012, 14:53
    The soundtrack is listed at http://musicbrainz.org/release/d24c2d7a-4784-4185-82d9-66414765d022 but it don't give much more info. At http://audition.redbana.com/sub/music.aspx some artists are listed.

The problem with using pirated songs is that it may be very difficult to find out the actual artists.

Please do yourself and Last.fm a favour and fix your tags. The easiest way is to use Musicbrainz Picard.
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.