Forum » Web Site Support

Issue with scrobbling

• Issue with scrobbling

This has been plaguing me off and on for ages. Every once in a while, LastFM will scrobble a song with a completely different title than what it's tagged with. It is extremely annoying, having to go through my recently-listened charts, deleting all the incorrect scrobbles. It's always the song title that is incorrect, never the artist, and, from what little I've seen on the forums, it seems to only occur with Winamp.

Any ideas?

• Can you let us know what browser/OS, media player, which client version and what track please?

• My browser is Firefox 12, I'm running Windows 7, my media player is Winamp 5.623, the LastFM client is 1.5.4.27091, the Winamp plugin is 2.1.0.9, and the track this time was Hanggai - Xiger Xiger, which came up as Hanggai - Run Joe.

• It happened again, except this time, oddly enough, the song was correct, and the artist was wrong.

• I believe this is an issue with playlists in Winamp, in that the last track on the playlist will scrobble incorrectly. You might want to try the beta client, to see if this fixes the issue.

• I don't use playlists. But I'll try the client anyway.

• It does it with the beta client, too.

• Does it display correctly in the client? Can you post a screenshot please?

• snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 18 maj 2012, 15:40
    I believe the problem is internal to winamp - it seems to pass incorrect information to the plugin.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • Indeed, the problem seems to be internal to winamp.

I have had similar problems for quite a long time, and it seems that editing the playlist (adding songs or removing them) while the playlist is scrobbling causes the erraneous scrobbles. I tested this for quite a while, and the error was reprodused almost every time I made changes to the playlist while it was playing.

Stopping the music completely (pausing it doesn't help) removed the problem.

It would seem that winamp has a cache or something similar where it lists the songs, and if this order is changed by adding or deleting while still playing, the cache doesn't refresh completely, but some erraneous metadata remains, which is then submitted to the scrobbler instead of the correct data. Stopping music during editing and then restarting the playlist afterwards seems to clear it.

Close your eyes and dream.
  • If it is an issue with Winamp, are there any solutions short of switching to a different media player? Should I take this up on their forum? I'm really at a loss.

Knapster01 said:
    Does it display correctly in the client? Can you post a screenshot please?
    I'll get a screenshot the next time it happens, although I assume it's similar to the old client, which showed it incorrectly.

• clytie_hizashi said:
    If it is an issue with Winamp, are there any solutions short of switching to a different media player?

Well, like I said in my previous post, the quick work-around would be simply stopping the music for the short time you add/remove something from the playing queue (the playlist), and after having made the changes to the queue, you can continue listening :)

Close your eyes and dream.
  • But I'm not always looking at the page (or even at the computer) when I'm listening to music, and it's only later, when I check my recently played tracks, that I notice it. I'll definitely try your suggestion, but a more permanent fix would be great as well. Thanks.

• Yes, I and others have documented this problem for a while, as well as similar ones (such as clicking on a song to play inside winamp resulting in corrupted information being sent to Lasfm eg the song title/album/artist being replaced with the wrong info - commonly other song titles/albums/artists in your library).

This is absolutely a Winamp problem because 1. It does not exist in any other media player, 2. It persists in the Last.fm beta client and 3. It's gotten progressively worse with every Winamp update (at first only a few people noticed it, now almost all users that scrobble using Winamp have some form of this problem). Likely, Nullsoft changed something in a Winamp update that broke the sending of metadata, and it has not been fixed.

I asked about this on Winamp's forums a long time ago and they weren't particularly helpful.

My "solution" to this is opening the last.fm client in a window whenever you play a new song and make sure the data is correct. If not, stop the song and press the play button, which will result in the correct data being sent. It doesn't stop the problem at all, but at least it can help you avoid the incorrect data being scrobbled to last.fm

• OK, then. I guess I'll try on the Winamp forums, and if that doesn't work, I guess it's time to try different music player. If possible, it seems to have gotten even worse since I downloaded the beta client.

Thanks.

• OK, I posted there, and this is the response I got:

it would completely depend on what lastfm plug-in is being used.

if it's the one for the official lastfm client then that's something they'd need to fix.

if it's the standalone plug-in such as comes from ml_ipod then no one is developing / fixing that anymore so there's no likelihood of that being fixed.

in either case, Winamp provides to plug-ins what is asked and from what i remember of the standalone plug-in code (which the official one was using - i don't know if that changed but as i no longer use lastfm i've not bothered to pay any attention to the service), how it determines the current song was based on working against 2.x clients and used a number of hacks instead of using the proper apis for being notified of the newly playing item. so if anything, that is the most likely cause of the issue you are seeing.

as for a solution, like i said it depends on the plug-in you are using and if it's the standalone one then your not going to get a resolution unless anyone has created an alternative plug-in.
    Might this be the case? I have no way of testing it, but it seems plausible.

• The response you received was more or less the same response I got from them in 2010.

If it was a problem with the official client, then it would appear in all media players. In fact, as far as i've checked, Mediamonkey - whose scrobbler plugin was same as the one Winamp used for a very long time - did not have the problems that are currently present with Winamp scrobbling.

• OK. So should I go back to their forums, and tell them what you said? Or should I just give up? If possible, it's gotten worse with the beta client.

I'm really stuck in the middle here.

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 maj 2012, 18:18
    just use a decent player.

• clytie_hizashi said:
    OK. So should I go back to their forums, and tell them what you said? Or should I just give up? If possible, it's gotten worse with the beta client.

I'm really stuck in the middle here.

Which makes it interesting considering that there's very little (if any) code shared between the beta client and the current application.

I'd recommend either sticking with Winamp and watching it, or just switch over iTunes or Foobar if the problem is becoming impossible to work with.

• I can't say for certain that it's gotten worse with the beta (I could just have had a string of bad luck), but it certainly appears like it.

I guess I'll stick with Winamp for now, and maybe post a follow-up on their forums. Thanks.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.