Forum » Web Services

Is it possible to get a partial database-dump?

• mlorenzi sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 feb 2007, 09:22

Is it possible to get a partial database-dump?

Hi,

for my research thesis in computer science about small-world-networks and music similarity i would like to use last.fm data. But that would require to get an amount of data about the users and their top50 tracks (as it is accessible from the webservice).

Is it possible to get a database-dump, as wikipedia is providing it (http://download.wikimedia.org/enwiki/latest/)?

Thank you for your help

• Russ sa...
    • Alumni
    • 2 mar 2007, 17:15
    Unfortunately not. We used to provide such a service but we're unable to do so any more.

• There is old 2005 audioscrobbler data released under
    creative commons.

• Russ sa...
    • Alumni
    • 4 mar 2007, 03:39
    Yeah, and you're more than welcome to use that data (if you can find it). Unfortunately we can't release more recent data, and that's a shame.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 mar 2007, 23:42
    Why can't you?

• Russ sa...
    • Alumni
    • 5 mar 2007, 12:19
    It is considered too valuable.

• Användare
    • 20 mar 2007, 16:18

what about individual data

I can't even find my own data anymore ... Since Audioscrobbler and LastFm merged & the redesign, there are so many competing "features" and buttons that I can't find any of that stuff, although I'm sure it's here somewhere. After all, you wouldn't hide our own listening data from us, would you (individually; I realize that collectively we are not deserving of seeing the data).

Well, good luck with the Viacom deal, and if it happens, maybe you can include a "don't be evil" deal in there; I can imagine they'll use the data to sue thousands of people for violating DRM & the DMCA.

• Användare
    • 21 mar 2007, 18:19
    Can you please correct [Avvaktar moderation] to reflect this, as it still states "We will also provide periodic for data mining and research purposes, soon.", as it has done ever since the switchover from audioscrobbler.com to last.fm.

Rod.

• Russ sa...
    • Alumni
    • 22 mar 2007, 02:24
    rODbegbie said:
    Can you please correct http://audioscrobbler.net/data/ to reflect this, as it still states "We will also provide periodic for data mining and research purposes, soon.", as it has done ever since the switchover from audioscrobbler.com to last.fm.

Done.

I don't know why everyone says they can't find their individual data anymore. We've never provided that feature. We'd definitely like to, and we hope to soon, but we've never removed any web services.

• jamespo sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 mar 2007, 09:00
    Well, good luck with the Viacom deal, and if it happens, maybe you can include a "don't be evil" deal in there; I can imagine they'll use the data to sue thousands of people for violating DRM & the DMCA.

I would be more concerned about iunes / WMP calling out for gracenote information - if you are so worried about companies using your last.fm information to see what you are up to it seems a bit strange to use the service to publish it to the world :P

not my words, the words of top gear magazine
  • Remote Execution

I wrote a proposal to Last.FM a while back for a potential data mining project. Now I know why I never got a response.
    Would you be willing to work out some sort of remote execution agreement. Where qualifier researchers could send you code to execute on your servers, and you just send us the results of any calculations. That way you won't loose your valuable data, but you can be involved in research on music recommendations.

It would cost you guys some server cycles, but those are cheap.

• Ah

I see now why I didn't get a reply either!
    That's unfortunate, I have a project based on data mining coming up and I would've loved to have done it on this site.
    I haven't been able to find the old (2005) data referred to above, can anyone help in that regard? Even old data like that would be great. I'd only need a small (in the grand scheme of things) sample dataset of around 1000 or so. I wouldn't need details like IP addresses, session IDs or whatever way user information is saved, just the listening data (if that would even be possible, I don't have a clue what way it's put together!).

• The 2005 Database Dump

• partial database

Hi,

what if we get the data by automatically saving xml files of several users every hour during several weeks for example ? Would it be allowed to publish a paper using such a database ?

• Re: Is it possible to get a partial database-dump?

yes, its not possible till now, i was also trying for this, if there is any possibility, please let me know, as well.

mlorenzi said:
    Hi,

for my research thesis in computer science about small-world-networks and music similarity i would like to use last.fm data. But that would require to get an amount of data about the users and their top50 tracks (as it is accessible from the webservice).

Is it possible to get a database-dump, as wikipedia is providing it (http://download.wikimedia.org/enwiki/latest/)?

Thank you for your help

good one
  • Russ said:
    It is considered too valuable.

To who? Is it possible to BUY a copy of the database? And how much would that cost someone? And what license would it be under?

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.